1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone going abroad this summer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clawthorpegirl, Jul 12, 2020.

1. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Just curious....

We were supposed to be flying to Madeira on 24th but have pushed back till next May half-term.

Trying to think of some nice days out near us instead ... worried about how busy everywhere will be though.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You'll love Madeira when you get there.

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Thanks heard really good things, travelling with three generations and looks like a great place to suit us all.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

No way. My friend has just booked to go to Spain at the end of the month. She asked if we thought she was insane. We said yes!

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've been to Madeira twice - loved it both times - there is so much to see and do.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We moved our June Sicily holiday to September. I can't say if we'll go or not because two months is a long time in Pandemic terms.

catmother likes this.
  7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Just given up on our trip to Corfu. It wasn’t booked - we were waiting - but with all the restrictions I don’t think it looks like being much fun. I’m more disappointed about this that I thought I would be and feeling a bit ashamed of myself considering what others have been through. I think it’s the having something to look forward to thing.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I spent a coupla weeks trekking the levadas one Easter. Paddy Dillon wrote a good Cicerone guide. Back in the day it was heard to find accommodation outside Funchal.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The "peak-to-peak" walk from Pico Alto is truly spectacular.

tonymars likes this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well I've bought a new Rough Guide to Italy but I think that's as far as I'll go. Cancelled the holiday we booked.

11. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We bought a new Fodor's Guide to New York in January but obviously we won't be going this July as planned.

vannie and peakster like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We love travelling and I always look forward to going somewhere in the Summer but I genuinely have no interest in getting on a plane and going anywhere at the moment.

On our walk this morning I saw two vapour trails for aircraft - been weeks since I've seen one.

To those people who are going abroad - don't expect too much I reckon.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We should be flying to France for 3 weeks this Wednesday. We live in Scotland,so up to this Thursday,this holiday would not have been possible as my husband would have needed to quarantine on return. Also,things have been changing so quickly in the last few weeks and I could not cope with still being in a "can we go/can we not go" situation getting near the dates. So,I preferred cancelling and focusing on a potential September holiday instead.
    We cancelled and got our money back on all the stuff we had booked,apart from the Ryanair flights. You can't cancel those but you can change the dates and obviously,we needed flights for September. The sting in the tail is that you have to pay an hefty fee for changing the tickets and if your original tickets were more expensive,you don't get the difference back. So basically,we've given Ryanair even more money! If September doesn't work out,we've decided to just walk away and not bother this year. Let's see what it's like in September.

lindenlea and agathamorse like this.
  14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Maderia is one on my bucket list. We've moved our holiday to Spain to next summer, luckily were able to do this with only the increase in the holiday for next year charge, no fee for changing. I think we would've been able to go at the end of July, but it was just worrying me too much. Going to Devon instead.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We're sticking to day trips in our campervan. We spent last Friday afternoon walking on St. Annes beach.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I shall be going to Malta in late August, if things don't change.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We should have been in the Isle of Man this week. I'm trying not to think about it. We've moved the booking to the same week next year.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

HAve a lovely time, sooty. Don't forget to book the ancient underground temple well bafore you go: visits are strictly limited each day, and they're well worth it. Ditto the marvelous Caravaggio painting next door to the cathedral. You can sit and contemplate it for hours while wondering about the people in the picture.

Of course, I'm probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here!

ilovesooty and agathamorse like this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Oops - you don't need to book ti see the painting.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

We have a week in Spain booked for September. The area we are heading for has just announced mask wearing is compulsory everywhere unless you are going for a swim.
    I will be monitoring this situation. If it stays the same close to the time we are due to go then I will just cancel the holiday. The flights cost very little and the hotel is free cancellation.
    We have already had a mini break in England and although it was lovely to have a change of scene there were so many restrictions I'm not sure I want to repeat the experience.
    I hope everyone manages to enjoy the summer, whatever you choose to do.

vannie and agathamorse like this.