1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone getting nervy about results yet?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GirlGremlin, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

This is one of the biggest problems with all this accountability nonsense. You get dragged over hot coals if you don’t meet your targets, but if you do then there’s little recognition and an even higher (and generally therefore unrealistic target) for the next year.

henrypm0 and steely1 like this.
  2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If the school is complicit in encouraging students to stay on to do A-levels for which they are manifestly unsuited just for the money then they are acting immorally and wasting the students' and the school's time. They are depriving local colleges of income that the college would have received from offering the students more suitable vocational courses and damaging the students' life chances and self-esteem by condemning them to fail at the start of their adult life.

This was one of the many reasons why I decided to retire a couple of years ago as I couldn't stand the damaging self-interest of a system that offers partial, biased advice to naïve youngsters just to get bums on seats with little or no regard for their future prospects.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What is worse is when people who are highly regarded by management but who get results that are not as good as yours are singled out for high praise while you are ignored.

I've had that too.

henrypm0 likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm surprised they didn't give you the Spanish Inquisition as to why the A wasn't an A*!

geordiepetal and steely1 like this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The colour of their nose and the sh *t up the nostrils could be a clue!

steely1 likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Another thing about the results was the 'statistical analysis' of them, visited on us on the first day of term, by our 'statistics expert', who was anything but! The conclusions draw from this faulty analysis lead to ridiculous conclusions, which involved further scrutiny of us, looking for the reasons for things that had not happened, and to apportion blame.

As @red_observer commented once, one of the most depressing things is for someone form the SMT to ask you, snidely, "I see your results were down on last year. Your thoughts?"

7. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Well my group's A level results are not good . A couple of very unexpected U grades. Rubbish attender failed which is no surprise. Oh well nothing to be done now. I wil deal with it in September.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If bad grades are really unexpected, I'd always appeal. With a 'U' you (or they) have nothing to lose. (Or have they stopped schools/candidates from appealing results now?)

9. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I will flag them up for appeal . They were in my opinion solid C grade candidates and were working hard. I do feel for both of them as I doubt they will get their university places.

FrankWolley likes this.
  10. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Worth looking at the scripts online if they were with Edexcel/Pearson. Will help decide which papers (if any) to appeal.

11. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Just been out to celebrate Mahogany juniors results, very proud and pleased. Thanks to some brilliant, dedicated and hardworking teachers.
    One of their best teachers is taking early retirement, a friend and ex colleague of Mrs Mahogany.
    A brilliant teacher and the reason for juniors excellent result. Reason - just had enough of all the nonsense that takes up all their time and gets in the way of actually doing the job.
    Yet another example of how things are going wrong.
    A great loss to the profession.

12. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

Congratulations to Mahogany junior! My group of students did very well indeed - there were a lot of happy tears! They worked very hard and their results were well-deserved.