1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone find the same?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by mcd2000, Mar 12, 2011.

1. I work in a small independent school but the school is in a very 'working class' town and gets a lot of bashing from people and other state schools in the area. Does anyone else have a similar situation, any advice on how to change peoples views etc.

2. v12

v12

Rise above it.
    The world is full of jealousy.
    Make sure the children are proud of their parents' efforts to send them to a good school - and that their parents actually care enough to pay for their education.
    Don't allow yourself to be brow-beaten by teachers in state schools - often they simply don't understand the reasons why others might consider independent schools a better choice for their children - and very few understand the commitment of staff at independent schools.
    There are plenty of misconceptions bandied around by jealous teachers - especially when you meet them at conferences and on courses - they are sometimes very ignorant of the facts.

3. I think that my school is a fantastic place. Living here with the pupils means that I know them all really well and they are all caring, decent individuals (if a little naive sometimes!). But that doesn't stop both them and the school coming in for a bashing from other people. Indeed, I am often embarrassed telling people where I work.

Similarly, when I got the job as an NQT I came in for a bashing from some people on my course. "Oh she's taking the easy way out, obviously she can't cope with behaviour management". I didn't even try and change those people's views, I just decided they weren't worth bothering with. So maybe I don't have children throwing chairs at me but I know that the person who was most vocal about my lack of behaviour management skills is also someone who complained constantly about the workload. If she thinks working till 3:30pm is hard going then she wants to try a 6 day teaching week, chapel on Sundays, lessons till 6pm and house duty on top of that!

There'll be no changing some people's minds. Just be happy in the knowledge that you're doing a good job and that's where's best for you.

4. v12

v12

Hear hear!
    I'm resident in a boarding school as well - and live with my family in a beautiful cottage in the grounds.
    You're right - the long hours (during term time it is total commitment to the school) don't compare with the state sector.

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Our school is in a similar situation, though we are fairly big. The science department has organised an event for some science students of the state secondary of our town which was very successful, and I've undertaken a project to do with our twin town in France (I teach French) in collaboration with the French department of that same state secondary. There is a lot of prejudice on both sides - our kids think that pupils going there are all violent thugs, and their pupils think that ours are all poncy geniuses. It does them good to come together and realise it's not all like that and that they can work together, although you do need a really supportive head to achieve that (mine is fantastic).
    Alternatively, getting involved in charity work might help, as might some good publicity in the local paper about your events etc.
    At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters what people think. I had a lot of prejudice against private schools before I started working at mine, and I know I was quite wrong in a lot of respects.