1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone feeling technical?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by skt107, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi! I'd really appreciate some help from a technical-minded person. I have a wonderful video of Year 6 singing which I need to use as evidence for an award. However, there's a child who's safeguarded (and typically standing right at the front!) so I can't use the actual video.
    Does anybody know how I can capture the audio from the video and re-save it?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is it not possible to fuzz out the face instead?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Certain video editing software allows you to do this with relative ease. For exmple Adobe Premiere Elements. The trial is free but it is a relatively large download.

4. That would be better! How can I do that?

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No idea, but someone will know - my year 9 class could probably work out how to do it. I'll ask them if you like!

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Technically you could use an online converter such as Zamzar.com to convert from a video to a music (e.g. mp3) format.
    However, you would put yourself at risk of disciplinary action by putting a video of a protected child into the public domain since you have sent the video to a third party and no longer have control of it.
    I would ask, though, how a protected child came to be on the video in the first place!

7. If you could then that would be great! Thank you so much!
    Nomad - the parents of the child in question have given us permission to take photos/videos for use in school, but they are not allowed to be used for external purposes, such as the internet.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

If you wish to convert the file to sound only (eg. MP3) without sending it to a third party site you could download some conversion software anddo the conversion on your own computer.
    I have used a program called 'Super' in the past which was a free download when I last used it.

9. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

We use Next Video Converter http://download.cnet.com/Next-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10915744.html. A free dowload which will convert video to MP3.
    Good luck

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Get a lead with a 3.5mm jack plug on either end (ie the sort of plug you see on PC headphones).

Stick one plug in the headphone (green) socket, and the other in the microphone (pink) socket on your PC.

Play the video on your computer, and record the audio using software. MS Sound Recorder is in your Programs > Accessories folder, Audacity is available free from http://sourceforge.net and will do MP3 recordings.

If your video is not playable on your computer just put the jack plug in the headphone socket of the device you're playing it back on.

This way is the simplest I know, and is frequently overlooked. It keeps the video off the internet. In fact with the right combination of devices it keeps the video off your computer too. I've used it to record MP3s using an old Sony Walkman cassette player as the source.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The only problem with blanking out the kid's face on the video is it immediately draws extra attention to the fact that the child is protected, which may not be widely known among students and parents.