1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone failed an HLTA assessment?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by championkuga, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Had mine two weeks ago, find out in another four. I felt interview went well and I was happy with my file and tasks but you can never tell, the interviewer wasn't giving anything away.She asked my teacher and head some pretty in depth questions and they were both confident as she said that their replies covered quite a few standards. I have read online that just to have got to the final stage with you school's support shows that you are already almost home and dry unless you really foul up. Is that correct? My head says if I don't get it. he will really kick up but I am not good at the waiting game! Reassurance please!!!

2. Had mine two weeks ago, find out in another four. I felt interview went well and I was happy with my file and tasks but you can never tell, the interviewer wasn't giving anything away.She asked my teacher and head some pretty in depth questions and they were both confident as she said that their replies covered quite a few standards. I have read online that just to have got to the final stage with you school's support shows that you are already almost home and dry unless you really foul up. Is that correct? My head says if I don't get it. he will really kick up but I am not good at the waiting game! Reassurance please!!!

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I have never personally known anyone to fail the assessment: when I did HLTA six years ago there was not the same level of support available as it was still quite new and there were supposedly a very few candidates who were required to gather more evidence for certain standards. I should think that by now providers would ensure that candidates have reached an appropriate level before an assessment visit takes place so this should just be a formality really.
    I had my assessment visit in the September and didn't get my results until the week before Christmas, and I know of other people who had to wait even longer, so a six-week wait is actually quite an improvement! I'm sure you have done just fine and have absolutely nothing to worry about!

4. Thanks for that Ophelia. [​IMG] )

5. I did my HLTA with another TA and as her evidence was a bit lacking on a couple of standards her final assessment was spent verbally explaining how she does meet those standards and teachers were asked to back up this information. Nobody on my course failed, I am sure you are absolutely fine. Did you get onto the course before funding ran out?

6. Luckily I did. There was a frantic scramble in March to get me on the last cohort in our area. My school asked me 2 years ago to apply but to be honest, I didn't see the point or advantage of being an HLTA and then I realised I was doing the job anyway so why not get the recognition? Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, I know I am probably being a real fusspot but it would be rather embarrassing to go through the process and then not get it! [​IMG]

7. Sorry to be the bearer of 'doom and gloom' so to speak but I know of someone who failed back in the early days of HLTA assessments. She had failed to provide any data for one particular criteria. She had to repeat assessment in the next round, however she was able to use all of her previous findings so not too much of an issue. I am certain if you have evidence to support the criteria or those to be interviewed re your work are able to confirm same then you will have no problems whatsoever.

8. Phew!! Result in today, 5 weeks, 1 day. Must be a record? Glad it's over [​IMG]

9. I am assuming it was a pass - well done![​IMG]

10. Yes it was! [​IMG] Hmmmm, wonder how long he has been planning that one?!

11. Good luck on that one!!