1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever used musical futures...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nellypenell, Apr 16, 2012.

1. At secondary level? Any ideas that have gone well? Im trialling a junk band orchestra idea ATM. Im usually a disciplinarian but let that loosen today and the kids loved it!

2. I'm using it for the first time this year and I am gobsmacked at how engaged the kids have become. The profile of the subject has been raised. We just had a battle of the bands competition as a result of the musical futures work, every tutor group in year 8 and 9 were represented resulting in 14 bands, a fantastic evening and they are so keen to do it again. The kids that didnt play are even more determined to do better. I love it and the feedback from the kids has been superb. Behaviour has improved as well!

3. Fab! Would u be willing to share the resource(s)?

4. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

5. I was fortunate to be a part of a team responsible for researching and promoting MF in Leeds during my peri days and loved it, since training as a classroom teacher it's been interesting finding out how to approach the theory from the point of view as a teacher, rather than as a musician-teacher.

The key concepts are student ownership, independent learning and targeted interventions on the part of the teacher. The "hands off" approach throws a lot of teachers who think it means abandoning any semblance of structure, but actually it's more about subtly guiding pupils into creating their own structures and take responsibility for working in their own way. On this basis, MF has a wonderful level of built in differentiation as every group can and will find their own route to success. Where pupils do prove to be in need of extra guidance or intervention, this can be provided quickly and easily without involving or excluding the class as a whole. Project management skills and SMART targets based on musical outcomes can be incorporated to formalize unit work without affecting student ownership.

In a nutshell, I think it comes down to this:

In traditional music teaching, we might teach pupils how to play a piece of music in a certain way. They then go off and practice it.

In musical futures, pupils are asked to learn a piece of music. How they do it is up to them, but we're there to help as needed.

6. Have you been on the training? The introduction to musical futures will give you the resource pack and some additional resources. The band model i used started with listening and then pupils printed off lyrics and chords and copied the riffs aurally. We have standard chord shapes for guitar and keyboard along with bass note positions on the walls in each room. If you've not been on the training or seen it in action I would thoroughly recommend going and observing it. Our pupils create their own band resources, but we have some for kids that are struggling. There are lots on the musical futures website as well.

7. Thanks for all this. I emailed a link to slt asking to go on mf training soon in Manchester but I got a prompt reply saying we have to already be a mf school before being "allowed" on training?? Is this the case?

8. No! Not at all!
    The introduction course is to show you how to introduce it.
    Check our their website for all the information. It's also a FREE inset... all your school would pay for is cover.

9. Is it possible to do mfnwith only 1 classroom? I'd absolutely love for this to be the way forward for our dept but I'm struggling to see how to do it with no space/practice rooms etc? Anyone got any suggestions?
    Thanks, bel

10. Hi You could do it with one classroom if you had enough money to invest in some Jamhubs which allow bands to rehearse by plugging instruments into the hub and then with headphones on they can hear each other as a band or rehearse individually. I have one and can highly recommend it