1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever used dry ice in primary science before?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Jan 14, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

How did it go?
    What risk assessment issues are there?
    The obvious consideration is to ensure children don't make skin contact with the dry ice, but is there anything else I need to consider?
    Appropriate safety equipment? I'm thinking insulated gloves and goggles - anything else?

Feeling a Heston Blumenthal inspired ice-cream making session coming on...

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

How did it go?
    What risk assessment issues are there?
    The obvious consideration is to ensure children don't make skin contact with the dry ice, but is there anything else I need to consider?
    Appropriate safety equipment? I'm thinking insulated gloves and goggles - anything else?

Feeling a Heston Blumenthal inspired ice-cream making session coming on...

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Oddly enough my daughter suggested I order some for my topic and I was wondering about the practicalities!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

You can get 5 kilos for around £30 online, next day delivery. Sounds worth it, I think. I imagine a lot of ice cream could be made with that, based on watching his programme the other night.,
    And...just think of the fun you could have!!!!!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

6. I used to work as a scientist and handled dry ice all the time. Gloves is the main issue.
    Dry ice is fun. Try putting some in a rubber glove or a balloon [​IMG] Fun ways of killing time when we were bored.
    Now liquid nitrogen - that's a completely different matter.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Invaluable advice, marlin, and thanks for the tips robyn.
    Many thanks.