1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever gone from teaching to a trade?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Mr_Fabulous, Sep 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mr_Fabulous

Mr_Fabulous New commenter

I've spent the last 5 years working my way up from a TA to a teacher. I've just finished my teacher training but I've been teaching for the last 2 years now and I don't think my heart is really in it. Teaching part time as a TA was great, but the stresses and responsibilities of a teacher just don't seem to be worth it.

I hate the idea of coming home and doing marking until 11pm at night, when I finish work I prefer to have my own life and hobbies but this is getting replaced by progress meetings, data chasing and endless spreadsheets. I also dislike having to teach awful classes (having teenage boys telling you to f*** off on a regular occasion can be disheartening). Finally, the wage is just pants, and I also got told off by my boss for saying so. The feeling of dread when being called into the boss' office makes me feel as though I'm a naughty schoolboy of 12 years old again, but £21k really isn't worth the stress or hassle.

I have a family to support so I need something where I can get a guaranteed wage. I am considering training to become a plumber. It has the appeal that I can choose to work when I want and I can also charge a better price for my work and earn way more than a measly 21k. I also imagine I won't have to work at home that much nor face the pressure of data driven targets and spreadsheets.

When I was at school teachers, engineers and doctors were the respected professions and trade was something generally looked down upon. Nowadays it seems to be the other way around.

What do you guys think? Is a trade worth doing? Have any teachers done it?

Kind regards,

Mr Fab x

agathamorse likes this.
  2. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Where are you based? In English state schools the starting pay is £24,300. So if you’ve been teaching for a couple of years it should be more than the £21k you state. Unless you are in a type of school that sets its own pay scale.

I have a brother who is a plumber, the other an electrician. One is doing well, with good pay and conditions. The other is in a totally different situation. Poor pay and sometimes filthy conditions with abusive customers.

Having a trade isn’t the guaranteed road to easy riches like so many think.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Why is your salary so low? Minimum STPCD salary for an NQT this year is nearly £26,000 and you've been teaching 2 years. What sort of school is it?

Are you teaching full time?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Mr_Fabulous

I'm in FE doing Monday-Thursday so the wage is a bit lower. I try to run my own workshops on Fridays.

The plan was to do a course in plumbing, get a part time office job somewhere and do small plumbing jobs on Fridays to top up my wage. If things get busy then I figure I could move to going full time.

5. mfteymut

mfteymut New commenter

Jump ship before it kills you. Be brave, be bold and you will find what you seek. You could try teaching in a college. I love my job in college. I have way more autonomy and I get so much respect and consideration. I did teach in industry for a construction company and my jaw ached from laughing at the jokes all day: best move I ever made. Leave teachin. It is not worth it.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not an expert assessment, but it might be worth looking at becoming an electrician. I think there will be quite a large demand over the next 10-20 years from people who want to put in something to charge the electric car we will eventually be forced to buy, and for the same job in public places. Could be a bit of a money spinner!

agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  7. MJHa

MJHa New commenter

How do you find a job teaching in an industry such as construction? What sites do you look on and what would you search for? Sorry if this seems a dumb question but I've never heard of this type of teaching before!

8. Mr_Fabulous

All construction teaching is FE. Colleges teach vocational qualifications.

9. lynnesc

lynnesc New commenter

I work as a 'maintenance operative' in the main distribution warehouse for a large supermarket chain. For this kind of work (which is basically the same as school caretaking but far better paid) I get £26k for a fixed shift 40 hour week. If I was on a three shift pattern I'd get almost £33k for the same role. In 'the trades', plumbers are looked down on and unless you have an electricians apprenticeship you won't get decent money. I get that plumbing might fit in with your interests more easily, but if you have the determination I'd advise going the electrical route as across the board it commands a higher wage. It's also cleaner!

JohnJCazorla and Rott Weiler like this.
  10. CocoaChannel

CocoaChannel New commenter

Curiosity brought me here. Plumbers do anything from leaky taps to central heating, in which case they’d be qualified to work on gas installations, a pretty big responsibility I’d say. Plumbers aren’t looked down on at all. My brother retrained as a plumber and is pretty much retired now at a very young age.

11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I've just posted on Mrs C and I and our latest attempt to escape from teaching
    note-to-escape-committee-i-think-weve-found-a-gap-in-the-wire.
    Not a trade but in the end it's setting up as a limited company and touting ourselves around people we know, then expanding that list of contacts as word spreads of our expertise.
    If you think you could do this then PM me and I'll tell you how to set up a franchise.