1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever done a rounders club?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dalian Daisy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hiya, I'm going to run a rounders club next week. Does anyone have any ideas for it or is it literally just let's play rounders!! Lol! I was thinking maybe a warm up, play some games & that's that....

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Same here, I love rounders. We also entered an interschool competition at the end of term.

3. I'm doing rounders at lunchtimes, which doesn't give us that much time. I basically let them play and coach throughout the game. Mine are still at a stage where they need to learn the rules, since their teachers at first school seem to have made quite a few of them up or didn't enforce them. :) They like it, though...

4. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hey,
    We focus on throwing and catching activities..some of them are afraid of the rounders ball. Then play rounders for the rest of the time. At the end of term we do children vs staff! Which they love and we get extra competitive! Great fun and a lovely way to end the term.

5. Hi, Thanks for the replies. love the idea of staff v children! Have to rope some staff in! So the rules... I think I remember from school but what would you say are the rules you adhere to- e.g. when are you out? Is a rounder only scored when you go all the way round without stopping or even if you do stop as long as you get around? To get out if they hit the ball & a fielder catches it without bounce is that immediately out, also can get out when you are caught running between stumps?

6. I play something like rounders - cricket! You have 2 posts about 10m apart. Person gets 3 goes to hit the ball. Hit it and run. They score a point everytime they get to the next post. Their go ends when the ball gets back to the bowler. That makes for some interesting fielding decisions. The key thing is it's fast and scores lots of points. You can do 2 or 3 rounds in 20 minutes so you can get a best of 3 games.
    A problem I have with rounders is lots of people sitting round and not really wanting to take part. Plus what happens if you only get part way round?

7. chloejewel

chloejewel New commenter

An uninterrupted run, a rounder. I give a half-rounder if they stop and complete the round after.
    A catch without a bounce immediately gets the batter out and they are also out if the next stump is touched with the ball before they get to it. Also, if they have stopped at a stump and the next batter runs, the first batter can be stumped out in the normal way but also put out if they stand still and the next batter ends up catching them up.
    I'm wondering about whether to set up a bucket rounders club now... :)

8. I play silly games with the balls to start off with - just throwing and catching with a partner or in a small group, they go down on one knee if they drop it, then two knees, etc. Get further apart if they catch it 4 times on the trot etc. We also try to throw accurately from a distance, aim at a target, e.g. a cone, and just generally get used to using the balls. I must admit, I would only use a proper rounders ball with very sporty, confident children and even then, probably only in Y6 as rounders balls can do some damage! I stick to tennis balls for everyone else.
    I really like getting them into 4s and having a bowler, batter, backstop and fielder. Each stays in position for 5 balls and then they rotate. It's a great way of everyone being active and they usually play a better game afterwards as they've all had a good practice at hitting the ball and bowling. I always tell the batter to hold the rounders bat out so the bowler has something to aim at, which seems to help too.
    I love rounders!!!

9. I only ever use rounders bats, no matter who is playing (Y4 - Y6). They have to learn to hit with the bat.
    When doing warm -ups for throwing and catching skills, we break up into small groups with a couple of balls for each group and keep the throwing / catching a fast paced effort, high throws, low throws, bounce no bounce etc. If you don't catch it, you fetch it. Sometimes, we do throwing in ie small groups throwing in to a person at a rounders post. We vary the activities and keep each bit brief to maintain pace. Use a couple of good Y6 to help monitor the groups.
    When playing, we rotate fielding positions regularly to people don't get bored if they are standing where no-one ever hits. Also teach how to back up when those who can't throw a long way are out in the deep.

10. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

For the first part, I tend to focus on the children throwing accurately (imagine the distance of bowler/backstop, first base/backstop and last base/backstop). I encourage them to keep their eye on the ball.

Then I get them to throw, catch, roll, throw, catch roll etc. You have to show them how to bend down to catch/stop a ball as so many of them leave their legs open and it goes it straight through! I come from an area where the parents don't go out to the park with their kids :( so we go for the basics.

We also do small group activities like Tom Clancy, getting them to have a go at batting, bowling and fielding. We try to encourage them that fielding is the best part of rounders and you get to do more.

I like the idea of getting the parents involved; it will keep the extended schools co happy too!

11. Ive got Rounders England skills cards, which are small sided games to play, and lots of other resources for teachers. please see my website, on www.canterburybellestraining.co.uk Also, please feel free to ring me on 07876 205082, anytime!! Cheers!! Mike Kennedy (Umpire Tester/Coach Tutor)