1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever been given a Herman Friendship cake mix before?!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Georgia99, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

So my friend turned up at my house yesterday with a tub of white slop and written instructions of what I need to do to create this cake and it takes 10 days before it can be baked!
    I was a little alarmed as this white mixture has to be kept out of the fridge for 10 days and contains milk, sugar and yeast I believe. It is bubbling away in a bowl and I am to stir once a day for days 1-3, then I need to add milk, sugar and flour and stir daily until day 10. Then on day 10 I split the mixture into four (apparantly I am meant to give three portions of this mixture to friends!) Then there are further ingredients to add to it including apples, saltanas etc before baking.
    My initial thoughts were to bin it as I don't like the thought of milk out of the fridge for 10 days! But I am assured that it is perfectly safe and the end product tastes delicious....
    The mixture smells a bit like alcohol, guess that's the yeast. I won't be passing any on to friends as I don't like the thought of being part of some sort of chain letter but just wondered if anyone else has made this or what your thoughts are on the safety of this method?!
    Googling Herman Friendship Cake gives you a more detailed description of the process if you are interested!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Here's a link to the one lemonsqueezy had.

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/540332.aspx

I was given one a few months ago and successfully kept the sourdough starter going for bread, but it died from negligence during the run-up to Christmas. They are good and fun to do.

3. We had them regularly as a kid and have been keeping one for about 4 months now.
    Don't worry about the milk, it sours but does not turn rancid, the sugars etc see to that, and the sourness is the point of the mix. It makes a cake that tastes very different from normal ones.
    We got ours to see if sourdough for bread would be doable, Herman is a little more involved so if we could keep that alive....
    ... we did so we are about to kill off our Herman and switch to a bread sourdough! Just one more Herman bake to go! [​IMG]

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I killed mine off, but it should be fairly easy to start one, although I think I'll start a bread one.

5. There was an interesting article about Herman in the Times yesterday (or was it the day before?). It successfully put me off the whole idea!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Won't let me read it cos I won't pay £2 a week!!

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

8. Cheapskate!
    [​IMG]

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

10. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I read that article in the Times too, and then a letter from someone who said you could just use your sample on the second day and bake the cake that the recipe suggests at the end of the 10 days when it has multiplied and you have to divide it all up. It would save all that feeding and finding someone to palm the other portions off on, and show your friend that you really did value her 'gift'! You may even like it and want her to provide another portion!

11. Well, I've got Herman back again[​IMG]. Made a lovely apple cake, just done an apricot version. Kids love it, but I've lost count of which day I'm on. If it's bubbling, I guess its OK.
    Enjoy!