1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone enjoying their NQT year? Some positive stories please...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by veni_vidi, Jan 24, 2012.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hello all, In a couple of weeks i'm starting my NQT on a maternity cover, and have been reading the TES a lot for experiences and tips. At the moment I'm starting to worry that I may have made a big mistake from all the negative experiences and threads on Gove and Teaching in general. Although I do understand (and sympathise) this is where people come when they have a problem so will seem disproportionate.
    Can anyone give me any positives about the NQT year/teaching so that I can quell the nerves please?
    Many thanks
    Veni [​IMG]

2. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hello all, In a couple of weeks i'm starting my NQT on a maternity cover, and have been reading the TES a lot for experiences and tips. At the moment I'm starting to worry that I may have made a big mistake from all the negative experiences and threads on Gove and Teaching in general. Although I do understand (and sympathise) this is where people come when they have a problem so will seem disproportionate.
    Can anyone give me any positives about the NQT year/teaching so that I can quell the nerves please?
    Many thanks
    Veni [​IMG]

3. I am loving my NQT year. My class are adorable, my tutor is very nice and approachable and I'm very happy in my school. I was quite upset reading how many people aren't enjoying their NQT year and after a difficult 3 and a half years doing my degree I am now settling into my new job very happily

4. rachyclaire

rachyclaire New commenter

I'm mostly enjoying mine, it isn't anything like as stressful as I expected it to be, yes it is very full on, especially at the moment as I have parents evenings and reports coming out of my ears, but I'm in a really supportive school, who have a good rep for supporting NQTs locally, and most of the planning is already done, so I only have to adapt it to suit my classes rather than starting from scratch which I seemed to do a lot in my PGCE. I have some very challening classes, some very low ability classes, some lovely classes and some high ability classes.
    I think a lot of it will depend on the school and how geared up they are to support people in their NQT year, and how well organised the department is, I know I'm very lucky compared to other people I know in other schools. And everyone is really friendly!

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I agree that it is really does depend on the school. I am one of the NQTs who is having a bad time but I recognise that my experiences are due to a lack of support, being isolated and there being a generally low staff morale and quite poor behaviour.
    On the plus side, the NQT year is nowhere near as intense as the PGCE and it is nice to have the freedom to get on and do things without anyone checking your lesson plans and picking up on the tiniest little thing in them (not that I actually do lesson plans-well not nicely written ones anyway!)
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy it and have a supportive school. The threads on here will always be generally the negative, for example I have posted about my difficulties but don't post about what is going well so you it is good that you have recognised that and don't let anything put you off or make you feel worried.

6. Please remember that there are many thousands of NQTs doing induction and only a fraction will have problems - it may look like there is a huge issue surrounding induction, but the reality is that the worst case ten to surface here for help so what you see is very skewed. That is not to diminish the problems that people have, if you are the one in a thousand who is having problems, you really don't care about the other 999 it's what help you can get andd what solutions you can find that is important.
    Try not to worry too much.
    James

7. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Thanks for the replies, reassurance thankfully received. Already the school seem very supportive in that i'll work with the current teacher before they leave, and have been told there are plenty of resources for me to use.
    Good to hear some people say it's less intense than the PGCE, as i realise the workload will be much higher. Really looking forward to it, so I swing between nerves and excitement.
    Thanks for the positivity!

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm enjoying mine! Though I'm only 3 weeks in. It's nowhere near as stressful as I thought it would be (though to be fair I didn't find my PGCE too stressful either), though as I say it's early days and I haven't had an observation or anything yet, so things may change!
    I am also at a lovely school which has had NQTs before, and 2 form entry so lots of joint planning and adapting plans from previous years which makes things easier.

9. loranp

loranp New commenter

Could have written this myself! Completely sums up my experience so far

10. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

I'm definitely enjoying my NQT!

At first the work was very time consuming, but now i'm in the swing of things its much more relaxed and is good fun. I particularly like all the sports coaching and other extracurriculars I get to do this year, and compared with the school I trained in on my GTP behaviour management is an absolute breeze! Plus I have a supportive department, a really good bunch of colleagues and friendly, (mostly) well behaved pupils. Ideal! Making me think I might actually stick with the teaching lark long term (definitely wasn't my plan last year..)

11. Yep, definitely enjoying mine. I enjoy teaching ... and I'm teaching! What's not to enjoy!?!

12. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Great to hear guys, long may it continue! [​IMG]

13. Loving every minute of it :):):)

14. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I'm loving it! I have a range of classes in a challenging school, however I come home from work with a smile on my face, and I think that says a lot! I've done a lot this term which has made me feel proud; I try and write in my planner when I have done something so I can flick back and have a look, just to remind me that when the bad days are bad, that the bigger picture is what matters. One of my D/E grade GCSE students got an A in an exam, I got graded as outstanding, and just had an email from a parent thanking me for helping their child...And that all makes it so worth it!! It is hard work, and I do find days where I am so overwhelmed with things, but those days are decreasing and the good days increasing.

15. I just started my NQT year 3 weeks ago. It is very stressful but in a different way from the PGCE. You don't spend hours filllng in lesson plan forms and all the other activities we had to, which is a bonus. It's just the thought of the responsibility. I spend about 12 hours a day at school plus work at home. However, I know this is only for a short time (ie a few terms) and once it's done, I will be fully qualified! I think we NQTs forget that we are in our INDUCTION year, ie we are still training so we should give ourselves some slack. Yes, it's hard, but it is very rewarding and will definitely get easier. Just have to hang in there for a few months and take it day by day. Good luck!