1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone else worried about relationships with colleagues re strike?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tod sal, Jun 23, 2011.

1. In my department there are 7 teaching staff + the Head of Dept. Of which, 5 are in unions that have advised on striking. I am the only one who has said I will strike, and as a result the department is remaining open, although the other departments in school are not open for students. My strike, therefore, is having no effect. I am so cross that I am thinking of picketing. I too do not want to loose a day's pay/ have my pension affected, but I am following the advice of my union and thinking of the greater good and the bigger picture. I intent to distribute information from other unions( including UNISON) that members should not cover for striking teachers. The HOD in another department told staff that the only MOS in my department ( ie- anon me) had students out on work experience, so teaching would not be affected- this is not true as I have a full teaching timetable that day. If anyone covers my classes, I am going to be pretty darn miffed, and will find it difficult to relate positively to that MOS on my return. Anyone else worrying along these lines?

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

It must feel that your strike is having no effect, and I can totally understand your frustration. Are there any local events that you can attend? If you look on the ATL or NUT website (whichever union you are in), then you'll be able to find out where your nearest rally is. By attending one of these, you'll make a real difference- the more teachers that make the effort to attend a rally, the better it will look in any press coverage.
    At the primary school where I work, the vast majority of teachers are striking - although the school isn't being closed. We have a few teachers who are in different unions, and will be coming into work. Nobody has a problem with that.
    But some of us, myself included, do feel pretty peeved with the NUT member who for unspecified "personal"reasons has decided not to strike. I wonder if the unions manage to win the battle over pension rights, whether she'll decide to forgo the gains that are made.

3. eread1

eread1 New commenter

I agree... one of my colleagues - who is in ATL ... has decided not to strike as she didn't feel comfortable, but the more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. I know that's wrong, as it's her choice... but I'm not entirely comfortable striking but am doing so to support others and because I feel there is no other option.
    I'm willing to lose a day's pay for that, yet she will come in, get paid, and have the same benefits should we win our battle!
    Wonder how comfortable she'll feel then!

4. win win?[​IMG]

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Perfectly comfortable probably. She hasn't any integrity and doesn't care. I don't know how you're managing to be any more than civil to her.

6. Well that is confusing. So they are happy to pay more and work longer and do nothing about it?

7. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

You can't infer that. They may feel that it won't make any difference.
    I hope that helps