1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else worried about job prospects?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Lu280, Jan 13, 2011.

1. I have a provisional offer from Bath Spa for primary teaching and am starting to get really worried about job prospects for new teachers given all the talk of redundancies. I'm employed as a solicitor at the moment and I'd obviously be giving that up to become a teacher which I'm fine with because I really don't enjoy it. But I need a job obviously so can't afford to leave one career only to go into another where there are no jobs. I couldn't try to go back to being a solicitor after the PGCE, there's no way I'd get another job.

Is anyone else worried?

2. I have a provisional offer from Bath Spa for primary teaching and am starting to get really worried about job prospects for new teachers given all the talk of redundancies. I'm employed as a solicitor at the moment and I'd obviously be giving that up to become a teacher which I'm fine with because I really don't enjoy it. But I need a job obviously so can't afford to leave one career only to go into another where there are no jobs. I couldn't try to go back to being a solicitor after the PGCE, there's no way I'd get another job.

Is anyone else worried?

3. Can I ask why you wouldn't be able to return to being a solicitor?
    I'm not going to allow the depressing thought about lack of jobs prevent me from doing what I need to do. Some people apply for 70 jobs before they get 1, others apply for 1 and get it, so I'll take it as it comes, if I'm not the right person for the job I accept that! I will hopefully get a PGCE place for September, and it's a big gamble to take a year without pay, but GTP places are like hen's teeth so it has to be a PGCE.
    I have 2 kids, I'm currently the main earner in our household, but I want this so much my fmaily and I are willing to do whatever needs doing.
    If there isn't a job at the end of it I will apply and apply and apply, in the mean-time I will do anything to bring money into the house, you always get by on what you have whether that's £500 or £5000 per month!

4. Hello Lu280,

Sorry to jump in with an unrelated question, but I have just come across your post with reference to Bath Spa.

I have an interview for PGCE primary there later this month & I am incredibly nervous. I wonder if you might be able to give me some info, tips about the day? How did you find the maths test & the group discussion?

Congratulations on your provisional place!

5. I couldn't go back easily at all as a solicitor because taking a year out to train for another profession doesn't exactly show commitment to the law and the concern would be that I'd be off as soon as a teaching job came along. So not impossible but very very difficult.

The Bath interview wasn't too bad at all. The maths test was tricky in parts but fine - revise things like fractions and things though! The group interview was also fine, just reading an article, summarising it and then leading a bit of a discussion so mainly trying to make sure you manage to make a couple of good points without talking over anyone else.

6. Thanks for the tips, they were really helpful. I had my interview this week & I think it went relatively well, but now it's time for the waiting game, which is rather nerve wracking! I was just wondering how you heard about your conditional offer - did this update on track, or did they contact you directly? I only wonder, because we were told at interview that at the moment they weren't offering any places, not even conditionally, until they receive their confirmed allocation. Until they have that, we were told that we would only hear from them if we were unsuccessful :-(

7. I knew it was going to be hard getting a job in primary teaching but even then I was being quite optimistic about it all. Now from just looking at the unemployed and supply forums of TES has really made me VERY worried. [​IMG] The statistics doesn't look good. Hopefully everything will work out in the end. (Sorry for the negative post - I'm feeling quite stressed out at the moment.)

8. Only about half of primary NQTs qualified last year are in teaching posts, other than short-term supply.

9. I've been worrying about this too. The plus side of the coalition cutting places might mean that demand and supply for teaching posts might be a little more balanced by Sept 2012. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!