1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else suffer tiredness in first year

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Lindaminh, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Lindaminh

Lindaminh New commenter

hello, I took early retirement at Easter and am absolutely loving it. I am happy and content, having more time for hobbies, for hubby, for friends and volunteer work. My only problem is being really tired, sleeping 9-10 hours a night but fighting to wake up. Had general blood tests and all ok but Dr going to check a few other things. I just wondered if it could a result of having lived on adrenaline for so long? Anyone else find the same and if so when were you back to 'normal'

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I sleep well and nap in the day sometimes. It could just be a reaction to the change of pace but it's good that the doc is being thorough. Having said that, husband slept for more than an hour yesterday pm and just enjoyed it.

3. stunica

stunica New commenter

I think the body clock starts to run more naturally when you are not forced to perform the unnatural feat of getting up and out at an unearthly hour on these chilly autumn/winter mornings. Just enjoy it as you have definitely earned it. As long as you make sure to do some regular exercise I think siestas are wonderful and not a sign of creeping old age as you might fear. Maybe body and mind need to repair themselves after the wear and tear of teaching.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just off to yoga. Not feeling too bendy today but I'll give it a go. Going to U3a Open meeting to a talk about Thomas Telford later. I know the speaker and don't have high expectations so perhaps had better have a double espresso before I go

5. Lindaminh

Lindaminh New commenter

Thanks for your comments. I think to has to have an effect both the unnatural waking times to get to work about 7 then all the adrenaline pumping!
    Good advice re exercise and yoga. Need to get back to yoga though I am doing some running and finding that much easier to fit in

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I have to come back to say the talk on Thomas Telford was really interesting and my acquaintance gave a superb presentation. Not to self: never underestimate older people. i didn't fall asleep or even threaten to.

lizziescat likes this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Just to point out that..
    When we were teaching, do you remember how the first day/week of the summer holiday was a complete crash - sleeping,'couch potato ing', not being able to make any sense etc (well it was for me anyway) and that was recovering from just 12 -14 weeks!

Now you are recovering from 30 + years - so it might take a little longer.
    (Hope all the Dr stuff is OK )

2nd year into retirement and I'm still discovering the real me as the work habits and teacher persona fall away.

lindenlea likes this.
  8. TheaPine

TheaPine New commenter

I am also into my second year of retirement. I get up earlyish (6.30 - 7) every morning as I walk every day (I'm a lot thinner and fitter!) however I often nap in the late afternoon and evenings. I find if it isn't too long a nap (can even be 2 or 3 times) I wake up refreshed but anything longer than half an hour and I also feel I don't want to get moving again.
    Hope the Doctor is of help and it is just retirement kicking in.

9. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I always suffer tirediness at the beginning of the summer holidays. I guess that if I ever have the right to retire, I will suffer exhaustion!

TheaPine likes this.
  10. Lindaminh

Lindaminh New commenter

Hi so far all the blood tests are coming back normal, thankfully so guess it's just relaxing after as you say years of stress. Been retired nearly seven months now, unbelievably as time seems to go even quicker.

11. Lindaminh

Lindaminh New commenter

Turned out to be vitamin d deficiency ..so a supplement should sort that and I can get back on track with enjoying my retirement .

valyates likes this.
  12. valyates

valyates New commenter

So pleased to read this. I stopped working as a HT in the Summer and, like you, have been sleeping for much longer at night. I'm loving having the time to relax, read, spend time with my husband, go swimming and so much more but was totally surprised by the tiredness. Glad it's not just me. Enjoy your much deserved time.

13. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I have been retired now for 8 years (at 73 years old), semi-disabled and wheel-chair bound from an old Achilles tendon injury, and yet my mind is as active as it was when I first started teaching - but, I think - a lot wiser! (Why be modest?).
    In fact, remembering how Winston Churchill kept going, and now Bernie Sanders at 74 years old running for the US presidency, there should be plenty going for us all. Yes, I do sleep 2 or 3 hours a day, usually after lunch, but reading so many posts here makes me wonder that perhaps I still have something to offer to teachers as they complain about their so-called commitments to both students and managers but apparently do nothing about it.
    Tom Bennett continues to offer excellent advice, and some time ago I asked him how he had the patience to keep saying the same things over and over again! I have two resources here which have been downloaded a few times, but perhaps I should write a book.
    However, I am now too cynical, saying that all the problems are no longer mine, most posters here seem to despise a progressive educational ideology which saw me through my 40-year career (both with students, managers and parents), and all I want to do now is to catch up on some reading, some movies, and think about those ultimate questions of living - where do we come from, why are we here, and where are we going!?