1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else seen Giant Spectacular in Liverpool this weekend? Amazing!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by flossy-fluffy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. flossy-fluffy

flossy-fluffy New commenter

http://www.giantspectacular.com/content/story

What a brilliant spectacle the Giants are! Liverpool is buzzing with the mighty visitors re-enacting Sea Odyssey, a story with a Titanic theme. The puppeteers have been wonderful to watch and the crowds have been following them all over the city. The grand finale is tomorrow when girl, uncle and Xolo the dog disappear down the Mersey. Can't wait!

2. flossy-fluffy

http://www.giantspectacular.com/content/story

What a brilliant spectacle the Giants are! Liverpool is buzzing with the mighty visitors re-enacting Sea Odyssey, a story with a Titanic theme. The puppeteers have been wonderful to watch and the crowds have been following them all over the city. The grand finale is tomorrow when girl, uncle and Xolo the dog disappear down the Mersey. Can't wait!

3. This looked amazing on TV. Wish I could have seen it but a bit too far away from me. I am intrigued as ti how they did it though.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm going into the 'pool to watch it tomorrow. Can't wait!

5. I thought it looked fantastic on BBC Breakfast - until they mentioned it cost 1.5 million!!!

6. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

Went into town on Friday for tea at the Casa Italia not realising this was going on. Saw the side of her as she went past as sat by the window.
    Not bothered about this sort of thing but am impressed at the number of people and that can only be good for business.

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Jeez! My idea of a nightmare!! I HATE puppets - glad I'm not in Liverpool, I'd be terrified!!!! :(

8. flossy-fluffy

However much it cost, it was worth every penny! (A mixture of public and private sector funding I believe)The whole show was exhilirating and the mood in the crowd was fantastic, with young and old alike enjoying the parades. Liverpool is certainly raking in the money for sure. Victoria, the puppets really weren't scary. There was a whole troop of acrobats operating them and even watching them was fascinating. Anyway, they've set sail down the Mersey now. The madcap Frenchman who designed the whole thing, Jean-Luc Courcoult, even jumped into the sea after them! Au revoir!

9. andromache

andromache New commenter

not a lot of money these days, surely? i also thought it looked brilliant on the news.

10. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Nope, I'd definitely be scared!! lol

11. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

It was truly amazing. The spectacle of watching the acrobatics and brute strength needed to move them was breathtaking - some of the guys ended with broken bones I believe, check out youtube.
    The crowds were exhilerating, so many people having a good time, no ill humour, just everyone eager to share their experiences. One lady was telling us how emotional it was when the girl puppet went to sleep in her uncle's arms last night and how touching it was when he read the letter from her father. I wish I could have seen that bit. Really hope there is a programme about it this week some time.
    Went for a drinkie-poo afterwards[​IMG]

12. Saw them on Sunday with my children (not pupils) and they loved it. We got some really good views from the ferry as they were leaving on the boat. Couldn't have timed it better.

13. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oh thank you for that info. Will definitely be watching that.