1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else resent their cheating colleagues?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 16 Heath, Apr 16, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Notice the form is about SUSPECTED malpractice.

Surely, if the grade breakdown shows that they get A*, A, B, and C, then a gap before the F and Gs, this would suggest there had been something going on?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You only need report your suspicions - you do not need to provide proof, evidence, sworn affadavits, confessions, Papal indulgences or blood oaths

peggylu likes this.
  3. Anyone else resent their cheating colleagues?
    Yes, me. I don't resent the ones who have been bullied into cheating by their managers. I have reported these managers in the past and got absolutely nowhere, even though I named names and schools and used my own name. The LA did take a mild interest but the smooth HT easily palmed them off with excuses.
    Warwick Mansell wrote a book containing sections about cheating (Education By Numbers) to which I was delighted to contribute all the photocopied evidence of cheating to inflate grades that I could get my hands on. QCA weren't quite as interested, nor AQA, nor the then Education Secretary.
    It can all so easily be explained away - inexperience, misunderstanding - so you do have to be very sure of your grounds and prepared to leave your job once the relationship between you, your bosses and your colleagues becomes untenable.
    Regarding cheating colleagues - in a top-of-the-league school I taught at for a year, a Textiles colleague used to take all the made artefacts home at the start of the Easter holidays and re-make them. Dodgy seams re-sewn, hems finished, incomplete articles completed. The kids didn't see them again unless they came in for them especially at the end of term, and the surprise inflation of their grade (93% A*-Cs in her set, 75% in mine) usually ensured their complicity.
    In another well-thought-of school, the Food Tech teacher had a filing cabinet of ready-made basic sections of the project (you couldn't get a C unless you had something, even just a heading and a sentence for every section). The kids were only allowed to use ready-headed A3 sheets in a choice of 6 fonts so the slotting in of missing sections could be accomplished without it being obvious. They didn't even know about it. Photographs of dishes (deliberately planned) cooked in previous years were routinely added.
    My niece's "scaffold" for a Macbeth essay was basically the essay in bullet points with page and quotation references at the side. Adding an and or but between the points turned it into an essay. They gambled on the moderators only picking out a mix of bright kids' unguided work and a couple of identi-clone "scaffolded" ones.
    The heavy dependence upon IT now makes this all so much easier. I have been asked to type up handwritten coursework from candidates in my present job. As soon as I twigged that it was being improved by their teacher I declined to do it again. This has created a difficult atmosphere between me and the colleague concerned.
    This is how they get away with it, why the elephant in the room is never sent back to the zoo.

4. No, but I have 2nd hand experience of an investigation brought by an exam board

The examiner noted similarities between the work of 2 or more students ... this was not a teacher actively cheating but the teacher had signed off on work that was not individual student work

The investigation, in school and by the exam board was intensive and all students were refused results in that module (an A2)

As someone already said ... if this comes from the board it is destructive for a lot of students at the centre ... if you report an individual teacher there is a chance that this can be avoided

5. The more I read, the more widespread I realise it is.
    Can't help but feel the exam bored is actually to blame for producing a form of assessment for which 60% is down to the honesty of the teacher.
    I also resent the government for introducing targets in the first place.
    I am angry with most people involved it seems. Makes the kids behaviour seem pleasant!

6. doomzebra

**** - dishonesty is, and always will be, 100% the fault of the dishonest

peggylu likes this.
  7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I used to work for a Training Provider.
    It was quite common (dare I suggest it was the 'norm'?) for tutors to complete portfolios for the youngsters. Half of the youngsters we saw were unable to complete the work. The other half were capable but too lazy/apathetic to do the work.
    It was made quite clear that our job was not to teach the youngsters - they weren't there long enough, and most missed at least half their sessions. Our job was to get them their qualifications.
    There was an internal invigilator who turned a blind eye - or on occassion sent the folder back up with notes on what needed to be done to get a pass. Occassionally tutors would take an afternoon 'off-timetable' to concentrate on completing learner's work.
    The youngsters also had to complete an on-line test. The only invigilator was the tutor. It was quite easy for the tutor to tell the learner not to click 'End Test' but just to leave - then the tutor would 'check' the answers before submitting.
    It was at this point I made the decision to leave the company.

8. doomzebra

And I should imagine a reason for some of this was teachers "over-assisting" during their time at school

9. I was aware (and angry) that for many years the laziest, most lame-brained Yr 11s got good grades because if they did get round to producing any work their scrappy coursework was tightened up and 'enhanced' by teachers, aware that <u>their reputations</u> were at stake if their groups didn't get the required A-Cs. Not only that, the kids were more or less trained to respond like chimps when the examinations were imminent. They did so much ground work and were more or less told which bits of the subject to revise...and of course in-class revision sessions were steered towards bits they really needed to know and which - surprise, surprise, came up inthe exam. Despite moderation sessions, in-house marking was rigged too.
    It's disgraceful. Kids aren't brighter...they are as bright or as not-so-bright as they always were, but when the latest Ed Sec raves about standards being so much better, I have to shake my head. It's a smoke screen. Schools have to produce the required results for all sorts of pressured reasons. I am surprised we don't cut out the middle-man (ie: the students) and let their teachers sit the examinations for them. The results wouldn't be very different.

10. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Do you want to be reponsible for all your colleagues being subject to LA inpsectors and exam board (and by exam board I mean EVERY exam board) auditing everything they do?

11. doomzebra

and just who is responsible here?

12. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Indeed....
    Sounds like ideal SLT material to me

13. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Aren't CA tasks and questions available in the public domain anyway?

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yes - the answers aren't though!

15. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Well that will teach me to read what was said in the first place!!
    [​IMG]

16. This is something I would actually be prepared to strike over.

17. Report it to your management and leave it at that. Does your HoD know?

18. Can I ask what subject is this ib?