1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else resent their cheating colleagues?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 16 Heath, Apr 16, 2011.

1. After a few drinks and end of term merriment, my colleague let slip she has cheated her way to a 100% A-C pass rate in controlled assessments by actually feeding the correct answers to E and D grade students. Our subject is 60% c/a so she will be lauded to me by the Head and all her lazy Year 11's are now quids for a 100% pass rate whilst I will be told to take a leaf out of her book and my students will be refused places in college over her's.
    I did not know where to begin to explain how much I disagree and just left the pub! She reckons it's all about playing the game. Someone tell me we're not all doing this?
    Bending of the rules - perhaps - but actually feeding answers for lazy E graders to achieve a C?
    This is my 3rd school but first experience of this.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

What does this mean?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Let the examination board know. If this is discovered independently by them, then ALL of the students at your school, including your own, will be punished.
    This sort of thing nauseates me and I simply cannot understand how and why teachers collude in these practices.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Just to add that I don't condone the behaviour of your colleague.

5. Really? Never knew this was the case. To answer the previous question, we are allowed to choose our own questions for the C/A but are forbidden to tell the students which one's will come up (it's an essay based subject). We practise these questions over and over, but many still end up with E's and F's as they are lazy.

6. doomzebra

Yep - your colleague is cheating and you are colluding in that cheating

7. If you believe this to be true then I cannot understand why you are not reporting ... as you say her students will get courses at college over your and other students ... they will also believe that they can continue to get something for nothing

I would report to the board

8. Only just found out last night - I will take up your advice. She is also a friend which makes me baulk. Can these things be anonymous?

9. In addition to the students getting college courses over and above your own students there is also the issue of the students actually not having the skills/knowledge to actually do the courses. Some poor blighter, like me, will end up with spoonfed students who really "don't get it".
    Sorry, but it makes my blood boil when I hear things like this! Report away, that's what I say.

10. doomzebra

11. As a teacher in a special school I resent colleagues making up evidence about what they have done with pupils (lovely photos etc) . We have won no end of awards but more time is spent producing lovely books of evidence than actiually looking at teh needs of the pupils.
    Rant over

12. I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant. I do not approve of practices such as those you mention and whilst I have never come across them personally I know of several colleagues who tell me they have. But before you go ahead and report , please think carefully about it. I am not trying to suggest you should collude with this practice. Neither do I condone it.
    Ask yourself the following questions though:
    a) Do you have any proof of this other than a half legless comment made by your colleague and friend in the pub? She/ he could quite easily claim they never said / did such a thing. Where does that leave you?
    b) Can you find any substantive evidence in the children's work?
    c) What do you think your school will say if you report this to the exam board? Will they thank you or will you find yourself making yet more enemies? Its called whistle blowing in some circles. Alternatively they might claim its you having sour grapes about your colleagues good practice and skills.
    d) This will inevitably destroy your friendship and possible affect other relationships with colleagues in work. Are you prepared for that?
    I am not saying you should not report this. I am saying that you need to think carefully and you need to have hard evidence before doing anything.

13. I see your point. She can deny it and I have no evidence. Thanks for making me think of my own consequences which no one will thank me for.

How depressing!

14. doomzebra

do it anyway
    If nothing else, an investigation might stop your colleague from this dishonesty

15. Spot on ... someone needs to say this is wrong!

If the exam board question ... they will either find out the truth or at least there will be a warning shot across your colleagues bows (and those of SMT if they are colluding ... as you suggest)

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I reported similar to the Head Teacher once. I wasn't thanked for it and it was all brushed under the carpet, that time. It made life more difficult for the cheating department going forward though.
    Do it and send a warning shot out!

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Do it!

A friend told me once, quite proudly, that she had told he police she was driving when her car was caught speeding on camera. In fact her husband was driving but he already had 9 points on his licence (***) so she took the blame so he could keep his licence. I thought it would destroy our friendship to report this pergury so I didn't, and have always regrettted it. She's no longer my friend anyway and I hate to think they got away with lying as well as dangerous driving, and thought it was all a huge joke.

18. OP- I am in a similar position to you- but I have no evidence- only what I have witnessed and it will be my word against theirs- an impossible position to be in.

19. doomzebra

No, it is NOT impossible - even if you cannot prove it, a complaint will send a warning to the cheats.
    Do it

20. Can anyone confirm that they have reported misconduct and a warning has been given? It obviously goes on and perhaps without evidence it's just a grey area. I note it can be done anonymously, but I am the only one to know, I think.