1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else really run down?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolate_cupcake, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I started feeling unwell two weeks ago. On Tuesday I was given antibiotics for ear and throat infections and was given a blood test there and then to check for glandular fever. I haven't had the results yet.

Today, following the advice of NHS Direct, I have had to visit a walk in centre for yet another infection - this time an infected abscess on my back. They said it definitely needed antibiotic treatment but they didn't want to bombard my system with more oral antibiotics (fair enough) because I'm still taking amoxicillin for the ear/throat infections, so I have been given an antibiotic cream for it and have been told to come back if it doesn't start getting better in 3 days. I am just so fed up! I work full time and although I love my job, I just feel life is non stop. This week I have 2 parents' evenings, a colleague's leaving do on Thursday night, a choir rehearsal on Wednesday night following one of the parents' evenings and am in London all day Saturday followed by a choir performance on Sunday. Mostly fun stuff but I can't help that being so busy isn't helping matters!

What do you do to maintain wellbeing? I eat very well so it can't be my diet.

Roll on Easter...

2. I started feeling unwell two weeks ago. On Tuesday I was given antibiotics for ear and throat infections and was given a blood test there and then to check for glandular fever. I haven't had the results yet.

Today, following the advice of NHS Direct, I have had to visit a walk in centre for yet another infection - this time an infected abscess on my back. They said it definitely needed antibiotic treatment but they didn't want to bombard my system with more oral antibiotics (fair enough) because I'm still taking amoxicillin for the ear/throat infections, so I have been given an antibiotic cream for it and have been told to come back if it doesn't start getting better in 3 days. I am just so fed up! I work full time and although I love my job, I just feel life is non stop. This week I have 2 parents' evenings, a colleague's leaving do on Thursday night, a choir rehearsal on Wednesday night following one of the parents' evenings and am in London all day Saturday followed by a choir performance on Sunday. Mostly fun stuff but I can't help that being so busy isn't helping matters!

What do you do to maintain wellbeing? I eat very well so it can't be my diet.

Roll on Easter...

3. poor you. Somthing has to give, when you have a very busy life. Even eating healthily doesn't protect you, sometimes.

I' a bit run down at the moment, but I put that down to not eating enough fruit and vegetables these past few months. Oh, and drinking too much wine. Totally self-inflicted.

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

You have my sympathies. I felt off it on and off through most of January then succumbed to a virus (probably all connected) at the beginning of February which floored me for half term week and two weeks after. There is SO much to do at work and I am three weeks behind. I have been staying until after six most nights to try and get stuff done as once I get home I just need to collapse. I still don't feel right. Last Thursday I went to bed at 7.30pm and slept right through until morning. I have worked through last weekend and this weekend in a desperate attempt to catch up with things - I am failing miserably. Today I have a headache. I suffer terribly from migraines and if I feel one coming on I am supposed to drop everything if possible and rest but I am stressing about everything that needs doing. I am living (just!) for the Easter holidays with the hope that I will finally catch up with myself. I have never felt so run down in my life and I am starting to feel mentally down as well. :(

5. I feel mentally down too Victoria, all stemming from feeling run down! Have loads of great stuff going on in my life, but being so busy with all of it, as well as ridiculous working hours, doesn't seem to be doing my body any favours. As soon as we break up for Easter I'm flying up to Scotland for a wedding then getting a long haul flight 2 days later. However, 10 days of R&R after that, will need it. Badly!

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Me too. I've succombed to tonsillitis, and am supposed to be taking my class on a trip on Tuesday... My. IDE has gone numb with the stress of even thinking about it! There is just no way I will be up to going by then. Oh well. I can only do what I can do. Not looking forward to the conversation with he boss, though. Even thinking about how much it will inconvenience everyone I work with makes me feel iller :(

7. Victoria Plum

(((BIG HUGS))) to everyone who is feeling unwell. Chocolate cupcake - at least you have a good work/life balance. Just take care of yourself and don't over do it. My social life has gone down the pan since I've been ill and now I'm too busy with work to get it back on track. To be honest I just feel rubbish about life at the moment. :(

8. Me too! Continuous cold, permanently tired. I'm on the train back from seeing my Mum and am really struggling to stay awake. I daren't go to sleep in case i miss my stop!

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

DON'T GO TO SLEEP AMBERWAVES!! You could end up anywhere!!
    (and it's my nose that goes numb! Too tired even to spot that mistake!)
    Ahh, Victoria, roll on the Easter hols...

10. Don't even go there. I have been non stop ill for 4 weeks and finally started a course of antibiotics on Weds evening which has made me feel much better. I feel your pain - one thing after another. People tell me it is probably due to stress levels? Not sure if that's true.

11. Bed and relaxation as much as you can. - Make bedtime earlier and relaxing.
    Relax when you can. The odd five minutes or whatever is available time wise.
    Probiotics - the yog type drinks - a couple a day.
    Garlic. in whatever you cook. Or capsules. Natures antibiotic.
    Dont shy away from sugar now. The body needs it to fight infection.
    iron rich foods if possible - remember to take vit c with iron to help absorbtion.. Orange juice with your cabbage - not literally but....... Egg yolk is good for iron remember. Scambled egg and toast =good.
    Be kind to yourself. Dratted illnesses take time to flush out and away.

12. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Hi it's not just me then. I'm ususally quite healthy but have never felt so run down. I was ill all half term, with temperature, tiredness, aches and pains. Was still wiped out when we went back to work for a good week or so.
    Last weekend I felt really ill again, temperature, aches, pains and tiredness. This week I've felt really rough culminating in me being unable to hardly move my arms.
    Just fed up with it really and want to feel better.

13. I know how you feel too... I have had colds and throat infections on and off for the last couple of months, and today have been diagnosed with conjunctivitis! I've never had so many illnesses in such a short space of time! I am an NQT at the moment and I've been told that my body will eventually get used to all these new bugs, please tell me this is true, my immune system is taking such a battering!

14. Victoria Plum

There seems to be a lot of very nasty illnesses about this year. When I was really ill two of my friends got in touch and they had been really ill with viruses too. Lots of people at school have been poorly as well. I have never been so ill for so long before. Usually bounce back after a couple of days of illness. This has gone on and on and on. I am taking Metatone tonic at the doctors recommendation. I couldn't move either, JoJo, at my poorliest. Just getting out of bed or off the sofa to go to the loo exhausted me. My legs STILL have a leaden feel to them.