1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else really run down?!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chocolate_cupcake, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I started feeling unwell two weeks ago. On Tuesday I was given antibiotics for ear and throat infections and was given a blood test there and then to check for glandular fever. I haven't had the results yet.
    Today, following the advice of NHS Direct, I have had to visit a walk in centre for yet another infection - this time an infected abscess on my back. They said it definitely needed antibiotic treatment but they didn't want to bombard my system with more oral antibiotics (fair enough) because I'm still taking amoxicillin for the ear/throat infections, so I have been given an antibiotic cream for it and have been told to come back if it doesn't start getting better in 3 days. I am just so fed up! I work full time and although I love my job, I just feel life is non stop. This week I have 2 parents' evenings, a colleague's leaving do on Thursday night, a choir rehearsal on Wednesday night following one of the parents' evenings and am in London all day Saturday followed by a choir performance on Sunday. Mostly fun stuff but I can't help that being so busy isn't helping matters!
    Roll on Easter...

2. I started feeling unwell two weeks ago. On Tuesday I was given antibiotics for ear and throat infections and was given a blood test there and then to check for glandular fever. I haven't had the results yet.
    Today, following the advice of NHS Direct, I have had to visit a walk in centre for yet another infection - this time an infected abscess on my back. They said it definitely needed antibiotic treatment but they didn't want to bombard my system with more oral antibiotics (fair enough) because I'm still taking amoxicillin for the ear/throat infections, so I have been given an antibiotic cream for it and have been told to come back if it doesn't start getting better in 3 days. I am just so fed up! I work full time and although I love my job, I just feel life is non stop. This week I have 2 parents' evenings, a colleague's leaving do on Thursday night, a choir rehearsal on Wednesday night following one of the parents' evenings and am in London all day Saturday followed by a choir performance on Sunday. Mostly fun stuff but I can't help that being so busy isn't helping matters!
    Roll on Easter...

3. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I feel like I've been constantly ill this year and most of last year as well, I've been through my school's absence monitoring procedure 3 times in the past 2 years (triggered by 3 periods of absence). I feel like I'm getting a reputation as someone who's always off ill and I'm really concerned about it affecting me if I apply for any other jobs or if school are thinking about redundancies, but I honestly only take time off if I'm genuinely too ill to go in (and there've been quite a few times when I've gone in anyway even though I've felt dreadful, because I haven't wanted to miss GCSE & A level classes). My department has been a nightmare this year, we've had several people off at various times for maternity leave and operations, plus most of the rest of us seem to have had a lot of short-medium absences for things like flu. I'd be really interested to know if the absence figures for the whole staff have gone up a lot this year, because everyone seems a lot more exhausted, stressed and run down.
    I'm also waiting for an operation later this year, and I'm really worried about my classes having supply teachers while I'm off. We've had terrible problems with supply this year.

4. I've been feeling generally run down since last December. I had blood tests done during the February half term and the only thing that showed up was a Vitamin D deficiency which I have been put on tablets for and asked to come back in 4 months time for another blood test. However, I'm not sure it's solely down to that as I still feel very tired a lot of the time and also have periods where I feel really light headed and woozy even when I have eaten/drunk recently. I have long standing issues with my stomach which also seem to be getting worse despite medication. I always feel I bother the GP surgery too much particularly as I can't accurately explain my symptoms as they are so vague. One of the GPs I saw thought it was depression but my mood in itself is fine. I think the one thing that has really done it for my health is shift work. I never used to get ill before I worked shifts and now it just seems like I'm constantly fighting illness! I really don't want to leave my job as I love my students and work colleagues so much but I'm fearing that's what it may have to come to! I hope both of you feel better soon and manage to de-stress.

5. chuk

chuk New commenter

Slow down, I think your body is trying to tell you something. Ignore it at your peril!

6. My blood tests came back with abnormal levels of c-reactive protein (I think this is right?!) which apparently is a marker for inflammation. The doctor didn't want to see me about them, but I'm still feeling awful, so I have arranged an appointment for next Thursday. Tonight is a leaving dinner for a colleague at work. It's a 5 minute walk but I am so exhausted I'm going to drive. Not normal!