1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else read' How to be a Woman' ?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by screech, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Just finished How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran and I'm interested to know what others thought of it.
    I found it very funny in places and a little thought provoking at times. I liked her idea that when it comes to asking what is and is not sexist we should simply ask are the men expected to do it? If the answer is no then it probably shouldn't be demanded of women either.
    Some of it was a little bit, no Sh*t Sherlock for me but overall enjoyable.
    Any opinions ?

2. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

I have just read it on my holidays.
    I enjoyed it immensely. Some bits were laugh out loud funny - particularly the stuff about 'hair'.
    I think Caitlin Moran comes across really well and the section about abortion was very brave and thought provoking.
    My favourite was teaching her girls to exclaim 'Damn you The patriarchy!' every time they hurt thmselves.
    A warm and witty feminist book.
    Hooray!

3. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Just finished this and i too laughed out loud especially as i have the same nonunderstanding about shoes and handbags.
    I follow her on Twitter and she has been recording the audio version and suddenly had a realisation of OMG did i really write that about some of the more intimate things she discussed, lol.