1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else praying for a snow day tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just chilly here but lots of snow forecast for Sunday - will be scampering around town tomorrow looking for christmas presents.

needabreak and Gemspecs like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

A few flakes here nothing exciting

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Just started here. I'm supposed to spend all day Sunday in a market hall and the forecast is for heavy snow and -6 C at set up time. Oh joy.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I won't be stalking you...;)

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

No snow, no frost, but black ice, nearly came a cropper putting food out for the birds.

It's now a classically cold and bright, wrap up warm and enjoy being alive, winters day.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

My daughter who lives over in Australia and her family are here in the UK for Christmas. My granddaughter and son-in-law have never seen snow for real and so are beside themselves that snow is forecast for the weekend.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I fell over backwards over a Christmas tree trunk while standing back to judge the size of the tree my husband was holding. No harm done. Snow almost gone but there's more promised.

9. red_observer

Sunday’s looking fun....!!

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I love snow and when it falls (albeit rarely where I live) its out with my walking boots/mountain bike/skis.

But you are right when the stuff gets on the roads the fun stops. Even a minor slide could cost you big bucks and a bigger crash could be serious if fire engines/ambulances cannot get through.

The majority of this this country doesn't have the resources to deal with even a modest snowfall

red_observer likes this.
  12. red_observer

It’s right but what always makes me laugh a bit is how Scandinavian countries deal with it without fuss. I also lived in Moscow for a bit and they had absolutely no problems with it.

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Because it happens regularly and at the same time of year every year. Our weather is not like that, we don't even get snow every year. It would be like fitting air conditioning on the off chance it gets a bit warm once in a while

Mangleworzle likes this.
  14. red_observer

A bit of an obtuse analogy but I accept that it’s nit regular but it also gives even MORE reason to be ready when it does. This isn’t a poor country...that’s pretty regular...

15. redz

redz New commenter

We had a snow day yesterday...more snow last night so off sledging and building snowmen today :)))

peakster and Mangleworzle like this.