1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else praying for a snow day tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I can remember school days in Yorkshire where the bus would pick us up - drop us at the bottom of the hill and then we would wade up a steep hill through the snow to school.

One thing about our place is that we are at the end of a narrow and dangerous road with a field on one side and a deep ditch.

The last snow day I can remember as a teacher was one about 5 years ago when I left the car at home - caught a bus and then walked the last half mile to school. As I got through the gates - the school closed so I hitched a lift back into town with some of the maths teachers.

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I think health and safety has now meant school closures are more likely that when we were in school 40 years ago. We had to walk to school if it was snowing pre internet days. We had to walk home if the buses weren’t running. Wouldn’t happen these days. Schools take precautions to avoid parental moaning. In fact schools do that in general in response to whining mums and dads. One school I worked down in Plymouth years back closed due to snow which was unusual for that part of the world.... and the dep head closed it. One old boy said even Hitler never closed the school but snow did!!! Kids today are likely to get excited with the slightest snowflake but in our day it had to snow in tonns and tonns for the school to close...!

3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

My friend works in Sunderland and he said the snow started falling about 3pm as school closed at 330pm. He lives about 8 miles away but as gridlock kicked in he got home at 9pm yes 9pm AND his phone battery ran out so that his wife called the police to ask where he was.... she thought he had been in an accident. It’s not all fun and games when it snows!

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

This will be the first year that I have never had to worry about snow. I shall have a lie in then get up and look out of the window.

6. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

We've just had sleet. This is bad because it will freeze overnight and I'll end up on my backside like I did last week.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Getting colder here but no snow forecast until the weekend.

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I was lucky enough to go to Toronto a few years back in mid February on a fact finding trip and the snow there was incredible. It was metres high in places, but the schools we visited ran like clockwork.
    My last snow day back in 2013 was memorable, because on the day afterwards when we back in school we had the dreaded Ofsted call. They mentioned in their report that despite the terrible weather, the children were impeccably behaved. Pity my Literacy lesson wasn't looked on quite so favourably.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most places in Canada have lots of snow in Winter - I lived in Edmonton - we got 8 months of snow

10. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Yes, I suppose Canadians are used to it and life just has to go on as normal. You couldn't exactly have 8 months of snow days. Nice thought, though :D

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

We cancelled Outside PE because of the predicted bad weather. It rained briefly at about half 11 and that was it. The kids were livid that they had to do lessons instead because of the 'bad' weather (hall is taken up with ks1 nativity rehearsals, so no chance of indoor PE). Then they moaned about doing our daily 10 mins exercise (skipping) outside because it was soooooo cold apparently. Then they all went out to lunch with no coats.

bonxie, 7eleven, lindenlea and 3 others like this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It started snowing in Sheffield about 10.15 tonight and was quite blizzardy and windy on the by-pass turning to sleet by Chesterfield.

13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

As a child I don't remember being sent home due to snow, unless the heating broke down and that wasn't often. As a teacher I have never ever been sent home due to snow or seen school closed due to snow... on the contrary parents evenings went ahead as normal too, perhaps staff lived too close or were still able to make it in in sufficient numbers to keep things going. *Have I been missing out on this joyous paid additional time off?

14. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I suppose it depends where you live. I've had at least one snow day almost every year. Originally they used to make you go in to be sent home but now they just send a text at 5 a.m.
    We had snow overnight and the street outside our house is like an ice-rink. Certainly not enough to close a school though.

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

A pretty, white dusting everywhere, but wet roads.

16. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

Have trudged here in my wellies and big coat with no wonderful announcement to be seen (sadly I live close enough to walk if really needed) but lots of the fluffy stuff still coming down...Today is going to be 'fun' with our lovely thickly-covered school field and a large amount of hyper teenagers!

Wish me luck (and to all those in a similar predicament today). To those who dislike snow-I hope it isn't too bad where you are and that you aren't too inconvenienced!

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Snowing here now, big wet flakes beginning to cover the grass but patio is just wet. Husband not playing out today but my hair gets cut whatever.

Gemspecs likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Just a thin sprinkling here but heavy snow forecast for Sunday.

Gemspecs likes this.
  19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just got home. Got into school for 8am, HT decided to close at 8.30. Had a free hot breakfast because the canteen had prepared all the food for the kids and it was eat it or chuck it away. Left about 9.30 for drive home. Bizarrely the roads that were worst on the way in were clear on the way home. Fun and games on some of the hills. First time driving an automatic in the snow. Also roads full of smug gits in 4x4s who are on one of the two days a year that justify their choice of car!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Gemspecs likes this.
  20. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Can I be the first to say: 'It's snow joke'?

I'll get me coat!

needabreak likes this.