1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else praying for a snow day tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

All our local forecasts are saying heavy snow from around 2am onwards tonight and for most of tomorrow-am living in hope that we will wake up and school will be shut (our term doesn't end until the 22nd here:eek:, so am in desperate need of an extra day off )

Therefore, like the big child that I undoubtedly am, I will be doing my best snow dance to encourage plentiful mounds to fall overnight, just in time for the head to decide to let us all have a lie in instead of dragging ourselves in! Anyone else in the same boat where they are?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to love snow days, the whole world changes visually and normal life is put on hold to have a day off at short notice without any planning - thought you were working today? nope, do what you like!

These days a snow day means me and the dog wrap up warm and go for a long walk to see as much as we can. They don't happen very often round here, but when they do, there are always more people out than usual, little ones being pulled along on sleds dug out from the back of the garage and a definite if low-key holiday atmosphere.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Here in East Anglia we don't get snow anymore so I never even consider the possibility of a snow day.

In my home town of Scarborough some schools were closed for two days last week and there is more snow forecast tor tonight and into tomorrow.

Personally with the journey that I have I could do without the white stuff although I have a contingency plan if it does.

nomad likes this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Umm
    No
    Much as I appreciate why snow days are so popular, as a normal member of the public I can quite happily do without them..... :D

nomad likes this.
  5. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Even though I'm currently on supply so won't be paid if the school is closed I am praying for a day off due to snow. Not sure we will see that much in this part of Lancashire though.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It has to be the right amount of snow though - enough to stop you getting in at all, no buses running etc., just enough snow to make it difficult is no use at all. Not that it matters much to me any more.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

No thank you. I will not get paid if I do not get to work and if there were no buses either it would cause risks to the wellbeing of my clients.

Personally I would be pretty grateful if it never snowed again.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I have no objection whatsoever to your snow day, but please keep it to yourself. I certainly don't want one here. Thank you!

monicabilongame and BetterNow like this.
  9. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

Just checked the forecast, doesn’t look like I’ll get one.

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

In fact I only remember one day in 23 years of teaching when the school was closed to pupils and even then the staff had to go in to be sent home early. Winters used to be a lot worse than they are now as well.

11. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Tomorrow will be the fiftieth anniversary of a very heavy snowfall along the south coast of Sussex that spread to the rest of the country the following day and weekend. I had an interview the following Monday for a HOD position in a core subject in a good grammar school over 200 miles away north. The road conditions hardly improved over the weekend. I left very early on the Monday, about 04.00, for a 11.00 interview and arrived 20 minutes late. Far from being criticised for arriving late the school was delighted to see me. As the heavy snow returned the interview was completed within an hour and I was sent on my way with the job offer and arrived back in Sussex 9 hours later. I stayed for over 32 years finally finishing as an Assistant Head in a very large Senior high School. I wonder if that would happen today?

frangipani123 and kibosh like this.
  12. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

The sky looks a bit ominous here but it's 7C and not a flake has fallen.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We were sent home early once due to heavily falling snow. I drove home through a blizzard, when I got home the snow stopped, it brightened up and the snow melted. Everyone travelled at the worst time. Still, can't grumble, and I think it's exciting driving through snow, at least it was light.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's been hailstoning here, now just heavy rain which will have washed the grit off the roads. I'm going out tonight and don't want to have to drive through hail or snow.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to think driving in snow was exciting until I had to make a 50 mile car journey in the blizzard of 2003. It took me hours to get home and the last few miles were not funny.

I would have been better off with a team of huskies.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just looked at the weather forecast - we could get some snow on Sunday

17. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I have to sometimes smile. Today schools and many other things are closed down at the first sign of snow, but I remember 1947 and also 1963. In 1963 the snow and ice was so deep in the Midlands that we were walking at the same height as the short walls in front of people's homes, and yet schools, colleges and places of work were all open for all those weeks, and look! I survived. However, now I wouldn't get up so quickly should I fall, so my answer to you Gemspecs is "no" I don't want it, but I think we will have it, although where I live in Yorkshire, we seldom get much and by the time you've run for your camera it has gone.

18. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Next three days in the Birmingham area are for snow! Let’s hope! Need a day off!!

19. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

When I started teaching, we were told 'if you can't get into school, go to your nearest school to help out'. I never did, I admit, but today wouldn't CP considerations stop that anyway?

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am joining you in the snow dance. There isn't much snow forecast where I work but plenty where I live. We need enough to justify not coming in - having to battle in through it doesn't appeal!