1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else planning to work up to 37 ish weeks? Am I being completely unrealistic???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Tangit, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm due end Feb/beginning March and I've planned to finish at Feb half term but am now wishing I'd said Xmas. Is it something like 28 days notice you need to give to change your date???
    Anyone else planning to work up to 37 ish weeks? Am I being completely unrealistic???
    I just wanted to have more time with the bubba on the other side once he's born. And he could arrive late which would mean even more time off beforehand!

2. Hi
    I'm due end Feb/beginning March and I've planned to finish at Feb half term but am now wishing I'd said Xmas. Is it something like 28 days notice you need to give to change your date???
    I just wanted to have more time with the bubba on the other side once he's born. And he could arrive late which would mean even more time off beforehand!

3. I finished at October half term- when I was 38 weeks. We had Ofsted the week before when i was 37 weeks- not an experience to repeat!!
    Like you- I wanted more time afterwards and baby still hasn't arrived yet- going in to be induced tomorrow!!
    The last few weeks were tough (especially Ofsted) but my school was very supportive and allowed me to wind down in the final week.
    Hope that helps- it is possible

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I worked until I was 37 weeks with my first and hope to do the same with my 2nd...
    Purplecat, I wish you lots of best wishes for tomorrow and your new arrival! xxx

5. trish82

trish82 New commenter

I'm planning on working until 39 + 6. I know it sounds completely crazy (even I think so some days!) but I'm due on 28th April and Easter break is 30th March - 16th April so I'll have had a nice break at 37 and 38 weeks of pregnancy. I always feel like I have to justify my decision (and very recently to my line manager who seems to be under the impression that since I'm pregnant, I won't be able to do my job properly!) so here it is!
    I live far away from all my family and friends as I had to move 60 miles away from home for this job. If I begin my mat leave during easter break...and I go past my DD, I will effectively be on my own, in the house for 4-6 weeks - no friends or family who can visit (sounds very sad I know!). I know that being off school will be more of a stress for me than being at school.
    However, on the off chance I do feel too tired to come to school after the easter break, I plan on finishing all my certficate class coursework before easter in case I am unable to come back after the holiday. This way, if I don't return, all my students will be fully prepared for their exams (which are in May in Scotland) in terms of content, so the impact of being given a cover teacher for 2 weeks before exam leave will hopefully be minor.
    Even if I gave the first day of the new term as the start of my leave, they would not get in a subject specific teacher anyway, so they will be in no worse a position either way!
    T x

6. Thanks, I feel quite similar now (esp. since I am in a hell of a lot of pain with SPD - see me other post). I'm going to stick to feb half-term as planned but see how I feel in Jan once I'm back from hols and BIGGER! If I need to, I'll ask GP to sign me off sick and let my Mat leave kick in at 36 weeks as it's only a week earlier than planned.
    My GP is not very sympathetic and I've never even needed a Dr's note before in my life. What would I say to him?

7. Hey
    I d always planned to work up to 38 wks (next Fri) but was signed off at 34 weeks as I was going into preterm labour. I'm now 36 wks and mat leave has kicked in. I am worried about the money side of things, but am glad I made the choice to go. Definitely the best one for baby and im utterly exhausted and would no way have coped (even though I was convinced i d be able to get to next Fri at work). I don't have a relationship with a gp, just a patient at a surgery. I didn't even have an appt, just phoned and booked a phobe slot. Told gp what had happened and the nature of my job and he signed me off, its frighteningly easy!! I think they are extra cautious with preggers ladies. I think what im saying is, don't push yourself too hard. It's not worth risking a prem baby or exhausted mum, and docs will sign you off if its what you think you need. Best of luck x

8. I'm sure if you just tell him that you can hardly walk because of SPD he will sign you off! Please think carefully about whether you should be signed off sooner - some people have problems with SPD after the baby has been born too and teaching is a relatively strenuous job. You want to make sure that you don't do any damage.

9. I work in the UAE - we get 45 calendar days paid leave and up to 100 days unpaid if we want to take it. This starts from whenever we start our maternity leave, regardless of when we have the baby. With my previous pregnancies I worked up to the end - finished on Thursday, had baby on Sunday. My school were very supportive and helped with covering break duties etc. Hopefully with this one I can do the same - due in May. X fingers I'll be able to do this! Good luck to you. : )

10. I was told by my midwife yesterday that you can begin your maternity leave at 28 weeks. Not sure I want to do this (she was worried about my stress levels regarding work) as I want as much time as possible with baby this time as last time I decided to do my PGCE when my twins were less than a year and I'd gone back to work part-time when they were a few weeks old.

11. I know how you feel - I have been told that many times too but although I CAN I don't WANT to and CAN'T due to financial reasons. Therefore, as a tax and NI payer for the past 10+years I feel that for once in my life, sick-leave can do its duty for me until 36 weeks when I HAVE to start mat leave.
    rant!