1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else planning to leave at Christmas?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pleasemiss__, Sep 16, 2018.

1. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Anyone planning to resign from their teaching post and leave at Christmas? Do I need to give detailed reasons in my resignation letter? Will anyone try to dissuade me?

henrypm0 and install like this.
  2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

What you write in your letter is up to you.
    If leaving because you can’t stand it any,ore you could say personal reasons,or you could say you want to go to pastUtes new

Basically unless you are retiring do not say anything negative!

3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Also if you really want to leave you will not be dissuaded!

4. pleasemiss__

Thanks 50sman. The school is great. The department is too. I have nothing negative to say. I am the problem. I don’t feel good enough to be there. I feel like I’m not the teacher I want to be or at least that teaching isn’t what I want it to be. I can’t do it with a young family either. Or at least not well. Which makes me feel like the anti feminist. Use motherhood as an excuse ***.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Be honest simp,y say that you do not feel that you can do both the jobs of teaching and motherhood to the best of your ability at the same time. Your children onl have one childhood and you only have one motherhood. In the light of this you are going to put all of your energy into famiy life with a view to returning to education in the future folllowibg a back to the c,assroon refresher ourse should they stll exist.

Do not say you are the ltoblem because you are not!

agathamorse, pepper5 and install like this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It's so sad when you've spent so much time doing your training and others obviously feel that you have a lot to offer. Perhaps you just need to go part-time whilst your children are young. I did. Then go back full-time if and when you are ready. Don't give all you've worked for. You're much too valuable.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Sorry about the typos

pepper5 likes this.
  8. sally_nic

sally_nic New commenter

Can't you ask to reduce hours?
    Anyone working ft with children is amazing

pepper5 and frangipani123 like this.
  9. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I am, if not before as I am doing a long term supply and the atmosphere where I work is toxic.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I may be wrong here so please forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree but some words leapt out at me... 'i don't feel good enough' together with 'young family' - could you possibly be suffering from PND? If you are, please talk to your GP before making any decision.
    As I said, if I'mtotally off the mark, I apologise profusely.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You've just started back after maternity, with a one year old at home!
    The fact you have managed a fortnight says to me you are incredible. I have no children at home and happily spend my evenings totally relaxing but still haven't got it together this year.

Maybe just speak to your line manager about giving up the HOD role, rather than give up everything completely.

Bet you anything, half the school are looking at you and wondering how on earth you can be so amazing at work while a mum to a one year old. Remember they are all swans as well...paddling madly under the veneer of calm.

You are doing a fab job, don't chuck it in.

12. install

install Star commenter

Go if you are unhappy. There are better jobs out there. Don't dwell. You can always come back

Dear Head,

I wish to resign my post and so will be leaving on ..

Yours..

agathamorse likes this.
  13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Have you considered part-time (or more part-time if you already are)? Always worth exploring the options, although there's nothing wrong with coming to the conclusion that you'd rather take a career break.

In your case, it would be sense to give the reasons. Whilst you might not want anyone to dissuade you at this point, it's worth them knowing that it's a matter of work-life balance: suppose they need someone in the future, perhaps part-time, perhaps to cover a long absence, perhaps a couple of years down the line when your youngest is in nursery - they might think of you. I remember having A-level lessons from someone roped back in from motherhood when someone left suddenly mid-year - she just came in for our lessons, minus one which was inconvenient.

14. pleasemiss__

I like how to the point this is. An unapologetic. It’s not rude to write a letter like this? I know this sounds stupid but I’ve never worked at a school like this before. Most of my recruitment was through the HR department. Would I send my resignation letter to them FAO the head?

15. install

install Star commenter

Send it to the Head and Chair of Govs.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi pleasemiss

Just wanted to tell you that you do not need to apologise to anyone if you feel you cannot work full time as a teacher and raise a young family. Raising children is a 24/7 job without any let up whatsoever and is mentally and physically demanding. You are not anit feminist nor using motherhood as an excuse.

Teaching will always be there - you can always go back when your children are older and more self propelled. If you want to. There will be return to teacher courses and if you want to you can always keep up to date by reading.

Nothing is ever wasted - your training and study will come in handy somewhere else along the line.

agathamorse, BioEm and pleasemiss__ like this.
  17. pleasemiss__

Thank you for this. I feel like it might be right to give the reason, especially as they have been good to me. Not like above and beyond or anything but very much a good employer (for the less than one month I’ve worked for them) if a little high pressured, scruitinizey and learning walk heavy, and were it not for the time management work load issue (and impossible behaviour issues in some cases)I would stay. I’m part time with a generous time table. If I can’t even manage part time teaching could I even do another job outside the profession?
    Circles. But I know from a mental health perspective I’m a bit on the edge so it’s probably best I resign.

agathamorse, BioEm and pepper5 like this.
  18. pleasemiss__

Thank you for taking the time to comment such kind advice @pepper5. I don’t actually work full time at present which I why I feel pathetic for not managing the work load confidently as I should. I appreciate your words.

agathamorse, pepper5 and BioEm like this.
  19. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

In regards to your notice letter, I handed mine in recently and wanted it to be succinct so sent this:

Dear Head,

This is to inform you of my resignation from the post of ****** teacher at ******* High. My last date of employment will be *************, and my last date of attendance will be ********.

Warm regards

BioEm

It can be that simple.

Also, as others have said, it’s okay to want to leave because of your young children, because you want to do something else or just because you don’t want to teach any more. It’s your decision and your life and you need to live it as best as you can for you and your family. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise and good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Dumbledog42

Dumbledog42 New commenter

Yes me! I only started there in September so I’m really worried about it. I’m not sure if I’ll stay in teaching or not but I’ll need a new job for jan and no idea what I’ll do