1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else on Vitamin D3 1000 mg tablets?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by daydreamer86, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Following my blood test a couple of weeks ago, it has emerged that my Vitamin D levels are low. I only discovered this when I went to pick up my regular prescription and the pharmacist said there were 2 prescriptions waiting for me, the other of which was these Vitamin D3 tablets. I was confused because I was under the impression that the surgery would ring me if anything came up that needed to be treated but they hadn't done (admittedly I hadn't rung them either-I was very busy and often didn't have any time to ring between those specific times). I rang them this afternoon after being given this prescription and the woman told me to take these 1000 mg tablets for 4 months and then have another blood test. I asked if I needed to discuss this with the doctor but she said I didn't need to. I thought I might have needed to because it sounds like a high dose (I administer Vitamin D tablets to some of my students and theirs are only 500 mg) but obviously not. Does anyone else on here take them and, if so, do they have much effect?

2. Following my blood test a couple of weeks ago, it has emerged that my Vitamin D levels are low. I only discovered this when I went to pick up my regular prescription and the pharmacist said there were 2 prescriptions waiting for me, the other of which was these Vitamin D3 tablets. I was confused because I was under the impression that the surgery would ring me if anything came up that needed to be treated but they hadn't done (admittedly I hadn't rung them either-I was very busy and often didn't have any time to ring between those specific times). I rang them this afternoon after being given this prescription and the woman told me to take these 1000 mg tablets for 4 months and then have another blood test. I asked if I needed to discuss this with the doctor but she said I didn't need to. I thought I might have needed to because it sounds like a high dose (I administer Vitamin D tablets to some of my students and theirs are only 500 mg) but obviously not. Does anyone else on here take them and, if so, do they have much effect?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If you have any concerns I think you should make an appointment to see your GP. I certainly would.

4. I will try and make an appointment for my next day off. I know it's silly but I keep panicking that they will think I'm a hypochondriac as I have had to go in there a lot since the beginning of this year due to excessive tiredness and weakness which is what led to the blood tests but I will try and make an appointment as the dose seems very high to me.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't think there is any question of your being thought of as a hypochondriac. In my opinion it was a lack of professional etiquette for the GP to prescribe medication without discussing it with you frist. Take care.

6. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

There was a programme on Radio 4 some time ago (medical matters I think) which said that there is a lot of research going on at the moment into vitamin D deficiency, it seems as though there are a number of illnesses and symptoms that vit D defciency has been linked to and quite a lot of people are borderline deficient.
    I agree with nutella though that a visit or phonecall to the GP is in order to discuss.

7. Thanks guys. I am pleased that the woman said that everything else they tested for came back normal but will make an appointment to find out more about these tablets.