1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else not fussed about Ofsted?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Aelfric, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Aelfric

Aelfric New commenter

Currently teaching at a school that has been on high Ofsted alert for three years, does anyone else here just think the worry just isn’t worth it? Other colleagues including the leadership are petrified of them and at the end of the day I do my job, what is all of the fear for? I have taught for nearly 8 years and have been through one before and to be honest it didn’t make much of a difference to my working day. I taught what I had planned, I didn’t stay up till 3am like some colleagues, they came in for twenty minutes and left. I just find it amusing that every other week SLT think of a new strategy to impress Ofsted and flap like headless chickens.

So anyone else not fussed?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Personally I'm not fussed either but I'm even nearer to the bottom of the pecking order as long-term supply. But our levels of fussed-ness are irrelevant as it's SLT who bear the brunt of inspections (the Head could even be unemployable afterwards) and even the most considerate and level-headed ones (there must be one out there) are bound to become deranged as a consequence.

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

If everyone is doing their job properly, then there should be no such need to worry about OFSTED. Having been a HT now for over 20 years, I conduct ‘self’ inspections and get my SLT and HoD’s to support with this so when they do come around, everything should be ok.
    If you’re focusing too much on getting a good judgement at OFSTED as opposed to the teaching and learning, then you are/ your school is doing it wrong. I know of a couple of Headteachers who have focussed too much on OFSTED inspections that when it came to it, they were not judged as high.

4. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Now that the majority of Schools have switched to become Academies and followed Government Policy I think we should GET RID.
    Eventually here will probably be a reversal and Schools will start to function indepedently with their own unique strengths- we can hope.

5. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

My last teaching post was in a new academy school. The previous school had been on Requires Improvement and was shut down. There was so much pressure on the new academy to show that they could do better, that there was a culture among the new, young teaching staff of Ofsted paranoia, which was absolutely encouraged by Senior Management. I had already been through the ever-changing Ofsted Inspection regime several times during my teaching career, and I did not give a FF. I knew what I needed to do and got on with it, and along with many of those who did give a F, I got an outstanding observation. I was pleased, but if I had been graded good, I would also been satisfied (which is not satisfactory). If it had been satisfactory (which means requires improvement, my job may be in danger), I would have thought 'You can't win them all'. There was no other way I could have stayed there without losing my sanity.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Personally, I couldn't give a monkey's about Ofsted. Most of them are human beings, I've even chased one down a corridor after he dared to suggest that my worksheet was "too challenging". I was waving various pupil's books to prove that all had achieved something!

Happygopolitely likes this.
  7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

We've been inspected already under the new framework. It was very low key - no data trawls, short lesson observations, personable inspectors. It was actually quite a rewarding experience and no one had a melt-down or stayed at school overnight to up-date displays or repaint the hall.

8. trippa

trippa New commenter

Although I no longer teach (thank god), I always had the attitude that I knew I was doing my job 100% and if those around and above me did theirs, the result would be a forgone conclusion. I wasn't afraid of OFSTED, OFSTED were afraid of me.

HistoryEducator likes this.