1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone else NOT enjoying their kindle?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by san38, Jul 18, 2011.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Is it just me? I've had it for over 6 months now and it's silly but I'm just not enjoying books as much when I read them on it. I think it's partly that there is often a few days between my reading sessions and with a real book I might flick quickly through the last few pages at random to remind myself where I'm at and this is hard to do on a Kindle. No problems with the device itself, yes nice and light, easy to carry blah blah. Yet somehow my pleasure in choosing a book and in reading has been diminished. Anyone feel similar? Anyone felt similar and moved on??

2. san38

san38 New commenter

Is it just me? I've had it for over 6 months now and it's silly but I'm just not enjoying books as much when I read them on it. I think it's partly that there is often a few days between my reading sessions and with a real book I might flick quickly through the last few pages at random to remind myself where I'm at and this is hard to do on a Kindle. No problems with the device itself, yes nice and light, easy to carry blah blah. Yet somehow my pleasure in choosing a book and in reading has been diminished. Anyone feel similar? Anyone felt similar and moved on??

3. I love mine (mainly because I do a lot of travelling and also because my house seems a lot tidier without half read books everywhere )but I do find that I struggle to remember which book is which from the titles after I've read them as you don't see the covers everytime you pick up the book - I also miss the blurbs on the back of books - its not the same having a list of titles on the screen!

4. san38

san38 New commenter

That's really interesting underachiever and sounds very familiar to me! My Kindle or my brain - hard to be sure!

5. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

I do love my Kindle and really hope it will help clear the clutter of books around the house - I do love books but don't really need to have the amount that I seem to have acquired .....! However I do miss the cover and blurb like a previous poster - and having spoken to friends experiencing similar, I do wonder when the new improved version will be out! I tend to look on Amazon to see the covers, views and blurb before buying but do forget ..... Still I think the benefits outweigh the cons, for me anyway. Also get frustrated by lots of books being more expensive for Kindle version ....

6. I'm glad its not just me! Underachiever, that is really interesting - I am going to try and look this up and test it on some students!

7. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Wow, thanks for that gingerwine.Very interesting indeed!

8. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Best thing my hub ever bought me as it is forcing me to read the pile of books I had accumulated rather than pick the damned machine up.
    Mine is currently buried in a box of junk somewhere in the back bedroom.xx

9. Streetcleaner

Streetcleaner New commenter

I know what you mean. When I first got my kindle on febuary 16th (my birthday), I filled it with all the converted pdf files on my computer, expecting it to rekindle my love of literature (I've been reading nothing but nonfiction for the last few years). I barely touch it now; I've gone back to buying cheap paperbacks from the local Help the Aged, I don't even know why. Theoretically, it shouldn't make much difference, because the content of the book is ultimately all that matters. I think I just forget that I have a kindle and have gone back to what feels natural: holding a tattered old book.

10. impis

impis New commenter

You can see the book blurb via the menu button, if you are connected via wifi or 3g.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's true, for a book bought (or got for free) from Amazon.
    For other books, perhaps some from the Free Books for Kindle thread, if you use Calibre you can get it to search online for a book blurb and a nice cover, and attach them to your bookfile.
    When you open the book on your Kindle, it starts at the first page of the book. Just go Page Back a couple of times, and you'll get the blurb and other details.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

12. Great thread! Here's a nice piece by Nick Curtis in the Evening Standard about this very thing:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23971099-how-the-kindle-revived-my-love-of-real-books.do
    Me, I love the feel of books and their different friendly smells, old or new. I think boring books smell different from interesting ones. The thing I would really miss about books is being able to make a pencil mark in the margin next to a part I like. Is there any way to mark up the text on Kindle? So you can find something you like again easily?
    And bumpy gold lettering. What would life be without that?

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you can Bookmark a page. (Menu/bookmark this page.)
    You can also use the menu to Highlight text, or Create a Note. Have a read of chapter 3, I think it is, of your Kindle guide. All is revealed there!
    Happy Kindling!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

14. I suppose it's down to personal taste. I absolutely LOVE my kindle. It has "re-kindled" my reading hobby! I have got through many great books this way and I love the fact that it's so light and handy. The fact that I can transfer my own stories written on microsoft word and have the kindle read to me is a novelty and a half!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I understand (haven't done it myself, of course) that it is very easy to read unobtrusively in a staff meeting with a Kindle . . .