1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else not enjoying life as a teacher?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Tidally, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Hi milkchocwrapper,
    Thanks for the advice :) I've already done most of the things you suggest (including the tool at learndirect, and you know what it said? It told me I'm most suited to being a teacher...), and got nowhere with it. I think, deep down, I just don't want to work at all (does anyone?)! I don't know what your personal situation is, but I have a mortgage + bills to pay my share of, and I can't consider going into just 'any' job for that reason- flipping burgers simply won't pay enough to cover the bills!
    There are a number of things I'd love to do (go back to uni, do more gigging etc), but none of those things are potential money earners on the scale that I need to keep my house and car, certainly not in the short term, and I don't have the savings necessary to take a sabbatical to concentrate on 'me' things.
    The only thing stopping me just leaving as soon as possible is the knowledge that my girlfriend would then have our entire joint mortgage plus our other joint payments on her shoulders, which would be bad for numerous reasons.
    Good luck with your leaving, and I hope you find something you want to do soon (and when you do, let me know what it is... ;-))

2. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

Hi,

I spent 15 months working in retail after I qualified as I couldn't find a job for love nor money. The job centre were of no help at all as they advised me to take my degree off application forms as they did not care what job I had as long as I didn't bother them... anyway, I digress. There are days when I miss it. Mostly when I left work I didn't bring it home with me, the opportunity for overtime, afternoon shifts, staff discount, uninterrupted lunch break... :D Now I may get 10mins to eat my lunch, I have no evenings or weekends, I catch cold after cold after cold (I don't think I've been germ free since September!), most days I forget to do/say/find something important only remembered while on the way home. I have to keep reminding myself why I finally left the shop, and the security it provided, to concentrate on finding supply work. I was bored! Teaching is pain in the social life certainly, and I've never been more depressed than at some of the schools I've worked in, but I really can't see me doing anything else.

I hope you find the job you're looking for, whether in be in teaching or not.

Tuttle

3. i completed my NQT year last year and i have to agree NQT year was timely but i hate to say it but the 2nd year is even harder - you have way more responsibilties that take up even more time. ive had a harder time this year managing my work life balance so just beware! the only upside is that if you're lucky enough to be in the same year group you do have planning already so less time is spent on that but that extra time is taken up by performance management work, being part of a curriculum subject team and other reposibilities within the school. sorry and good luck!

4. milkchocwrapper

milkchocwrapper New commenter

ok... I'm currently looking into: being a florist, working as a gardener (for the peace and quiet) going into counselling, working on a community project linked to councils or youth projects (although not in contact with the youths), working for connexions where you give advice to young people on what training they might need or what direction to go into. erm... but i don;t really care so long as i leave. I am so lucky to be able to get out and think things out once i'm far enough away to see the situation clearly!

5. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

How are you ALL feeling about returning to school from next week? I want to SCREAMMMM!

6. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I really feel for all you who are hating teaching. I've had a rubbish time too. Had to change placements during ITT year because I was being bullied. Started NQT year, being bullied there too. Now having to move 100 miles to another school to finish my remaining two NQT terms because there are no jobs round here.

The job is great, all my children love me but I'm fed up with colleagues who can't treat others with respect. I took most of last half term off sick because I didn't feel psychologically 'safe' in the workplace. I became really demotivated by being micro- managed by management, just because they were insecure about their own jobs.

Will complete my NQT year so they can't take back my QTS. I'll probably come out of teaching or do it abroad.

7. It's not a good time in your life, teaching or otherwise. Try and cut your hours, or take a break. You have to look after No.1 now, so what anyone else thinks is not important.

8. Totally agree. In some ways the job gets easier as your relationships with students improves and you will have taught the curriculum before. However if you are decent teacher you will always be looking at ways to improve your lessons. You may also get given new years and subjects to teach. In the 2nd year you also get give more responsibilty, teach a proper timetable and more is expected.
    I always assumed that the average career expectancy of a new teacher was around 3 years because they expect the NQT year to be hard, the second year to be a bit easier and the 3rd easy. When they realise that while some parts of the job do get easier, others do not, and jump.

9. Make sure leaving is really what you want to do-think it through well and then go with your gut feeling. I left a few months ago after teaching for a couple of years and although I still am not sure what I want to do, I've never regretted my decision. I'm a lot happier, healthier and positive.
    It does irritate me when people on here accuse people who feel they can't cope of only going into it because they think it'll be an 'easy option.' I'm sure there are instances where that's the case, but professing to know people's motivations smacks of arrogance and ignorance.
    I wanted to teach since I was in primary school. I know two teachers who are family friends and I was always aware of how demanding the job was. I expected to work long hours and put a lot into the job. I knew it wouldn't be an 'easy option' but I chose the profession because I truly wanted to teach.
    I left because I could never switch off, never let it go. I didn't mind working evenings and some of the weekend but I did mind the fact I could never relax even when i wasn't working-school was constantly in my head. It wasn't a healthy way to be. In my case, it's more to do with the sort of personality I have regarding work. I loved the actual teaching and being with the kids and was very sad to leave. But I do feel I have my life back.

10. That's really interesting - I am an NQT and although I love teaching the kids, the secondary school system and the education system as a whole gets me down. I can't stop thinking about school at home, but I think that might be just as much to do with my slightly obsessive personality as the job as a whole. I am going to carry on in the state system for a bit and then sideline back into youth and community work. The money is rubbish, but it is so nice to be able to make a real difference to kids - although I get that feeling sometimes at school, I find it so stressful to push these kids through all the assessments that have no relation to the real world. I know what you mean as well about the attitude of some people's attitudes to people who are struggling in school - I have met very few people who weren't aware of the stresses of the job. Hope you find your place Kitster and get to carry on working with kids in whatever way suits you..

11. Bah, don't want to go back! I still haven't found anything else that I want to apply for :-(

12. I'm really not liking my life right now. I love school when I'm there but every night the thought of going in the next day fills me with dread. There doesn't seem to be enough time to plan and mark and everything else. I'm supposed to be marking but all I do now is cry. Everyone says I'm doing great and I passed my first term but I can't seem to figure it out. I can't sleep either, which of course makes me even more emotional. [​IMG]

13. Sounds a lot like me, except I don't have the "I love school when I'm there," bit!

14. The poster a few slots above who said that they could never switch off outside of school, and that they were always thinking about teaching, sounds a lot like myself. I constantly have lesson plans wringing through my head, every night before school. I do tend to be able to switch off somewhat at the weekends, but week nights are just abysmal. Tomorrow, for example, I have a very easy day- three not very demanding lessons. Why oh why, then, did I feel the need to obsess over them, in scarily minute detail, on the trains(s) up the road? And then when I was eating my dinner all I could think about was the photocopying that needs to get done before first period tomorrow morning, and that if I have indeed accidentally forgotten to save a powerpoint that I spent half an hour making up in school today (I'll know if it isn't in "My Documents" in my school computer because it sure as hell isn't on my memory stick), then I'll just have to use the word document from which the powerpoint was derived.
    Ok, I'm scaring myself now, but this constant, ridiculous and compulsive need to go over everything in my head a gazillion times- the same things, over and over again, ad infinitum- is definitely a cause for concern. I often catch myself just as I'm about to metally go through another round of "tomorrow's lesson plans" , and I have to force myself to stop. This job is not good for your mental health.

15. allisonvarna

allisonvarna New commenter

Thank God I'm not the only one feeling like that!

I've decided to pack in my current job as I'm commuting two to two and a half hours a day, as after eighteen months of looking for a position could find nothing closer to home. Can't cope with the travelling and the work any more. Up at 5.30am and generally not home before 7.30pm, then more planning for the next day! It does take over your life and I'm sorry but I need my life back! Hoping to find something closer to home to finish my NQT year but would prefer to go back to supply work than continue as I am.

Good luck to all sticking it out.

16. If you are finding school consuming your every thought, you need to find a way to relax. It's the only way to get through without doing yourself damage. Short-term fixes include:

- taking time out for a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit

- walking round the block

- having a hot bath

More long-term, it's important you allocate some non-school time such as an exercise class one evening a week. It may well seem as this is impossible because you have too much to do, but overall you will get more work done because of the break! I admit it doesn't always work - I have found myself worrying about work during a karate lesson, on a run, whilst having a bath, etc, but training your brain to switch off is too important not to do. Trust me.

giggle. xx

17. I totally agree with you gigglefairy - you have to say no and switch off. I'm an NQT in MFL and could find myself planning lessons and making resources till the cows come home, but I have two instant switcher offers.... My young son's aged 2 and 4! I work in school until 5, but then it's family time until 7.30/8ish. I may do some work later on but it's more scanning or printing rather than actual prep. Sometimes good enough is good enough and it has to do. Yes teaching is an important role and lessons need to be prepared, but not in the detail I did last year on my PGCE, and so life is getting easier. I still do the all singing and dancing lessons, but the odd bread and butter lesson does no harm either. My mentor says that's its more what you do and how you question students in the lesson rather than preparing 3 or 4 differentiated work sheets.

I love teaching but definately have off lessons, however what helps is remembering that usually it's them not you... a fact reinforced today when the head of Spanish and I were having a moan about yr11 sets, and our head of dept, with 20+ years of experience behind him walked in and said "year 11 were terrible today!"

I have to make my work life balance work because there's no other option, and it is possible. Those of you who can't switch off remind yourselves that you will teach/plan better after some "me time" / an early night / or even a good night out at the pub!

Good luck to everyone during the next term and try to keep your chins up! And switch off - please (says she on the TES forum at 10pm- It's cos my in-laws are hear and I don't want to talk to them.... so anti social and rude!)

Carnac xx

18. rats.. are here not hear.....

19. Thanks gigglefairy and Carnac. Lots of good, sound and sensible advice there. I'll do my best not to obsess so much about the little things!

20. milkchocwrapper

milkchocwrapper New commenter

hi dandyhighwayman,

i am so like the posters above lol...still dont know what im doing with my life, quit without a job...but im finding this useful

it's a site with a table of education related non teaching jobs... it gave me a few ideas for things i hadn't considered before. It's been updated. i dont know if im going for any though. i dont regret making myself unemployed. after only a month i feel more myself again and so much more relaxed. Plus I haven't had a school rant since I left!

http://leavingteaching.info

laters, milkchocwrapper