1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else not enjoying life as a teacher?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Tidally, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

I raised my voice to the children this week and the TA in the next class made a point of it to me! I will think very carefully about that now! oh and my kids have lost the door stopper...aaargggghhhhhhhh

2. Not to be critical but I wonder how many NQT's have done any other jobs. I may be over simplifying the situation here but the first few months in any job are difficult. This job deals with the unknown quantitiy of children and we as teachers certainly have to deal with out fair share of problematic youngsters, but the positives outweigh the negatives. I am only in my second year of teaching but have had twenty years of experience in the workplace, this helps when it comes to dealing with TA's, SMT etc. Please give it a chance, I personally think, as a parent, that it should be a requirement that teachers have some other employment for at least two years prior to teaching - just to give the job some perspective. Hang on - it does get better, not necessarily easier, but you settle into routines that you can build on. It makes me wonder why you thought this was going to be an easy profession - did any of you read these forums beforehand?

3. Im a young teacher of 22 and an NQT and am loving work so far - ive never done other professions other than part-time jobs (all involving children which i think gave me ample experience) before my training, have always known its what i want to do, and have no complaints whatsoever but am luckily in a supportive school.
    Whilst i understand your reasons behind wishing everybody could have previous experience prior to teaching (it would certainly help to stop those jumping into it thinking its an easy career); i dont agree, as i feel that us younger teachers add something to the profession that more previously experienced people may not - namely the enthusiasm and raw passion that somebody more worldy (and dare i say, cynical on occasion) may not be able to muster up?
    On the other hand, a couple of years experience in another job might just give some people the comparison they need to see what a wonderful job teaching can be - at least we are never 'stuck in an office bored'!

4. Although doing another job can give some comparison, it has only been in teaching that I have felt physically threatened. (I was not prepared for that)

I have done lots of jobs in the past, but in no other was I subject to being pushed, verbal abuse, (including across the street when I was out with my young child) and having a hand pushed in my face when walking down the street. My car was also written on and whilst I can't prove it was one of my students its not a nice feeling to think there was so much bad feeling towards me.

And no, I did not think it would be easy, but until you have walked in those shoes you don't know how you will react. You can watch plenty of births but until you try you have no idea...

And no, I did not read the forum, as I qualified some years ago it was not as available as it is now.

5. mimgrif

mimgrif New commenter

Hi banana bunch if you ever get time can I talk to you on e-mail about your teaching in Ireland?

I just can't do much more here it is just all paperwork and statistics. I really want to go back and teach in Ireland but just wondering how you get into in and what the job situation is like.

Let me know if you get time and I'll pass you on my email

Thanks.

6. Of course I will help you out, send me your email and I'll be in contact,also you could have alook at:

http://www.educationposts.ie/forum/index.php
    although the website doesn't get nearly as much traffic as this there are some helpful people on there and it's where I found my job here.
    [​IMG]

7. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

Has anyone changed their view from 'not enjoying teaching' to 'enjoying it'? There are days where I thoroughly enjoy it, and days where I despise it.

8. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

9. I dont think so but not quite sure yet. Quite like planning, not too stressed about the paperwork - although not quite sure if I am doing all I am supposed to yet. Enjoy the challenge and like being in the classroom.

BUT...

I left a very highly paced job to go into teaching ie. literally running everywhere to get things done as walking wasted time. I also had a problem with detecting noise levels at first when teaching as I haven't yet heard anything as loud as where I worked previously.

Now I'm finding that I really miss that kind of pace and feel that my brain is reacting less quickly than it used to as my pace has slowed.

Has anyone else been in this situation and thinking of leaving this profession as a result? Any advice needed and very welcome :)

10. b15b2y

b15b2y New commenter

How much this made me laugh! and i laugh because it is the only thing I can do. I am an NQT too, and myself, along with about 5 other friends in thier NQT year continually ask ourselves (and each other); what is the point?

What I am thinking (and have been told) is that next year will be better (you will have your resources) and should be able to re-use most of your plans. I dont mind the marking and done even mind the kids, but would love to reduce the amount of preperation and actually have more energy for when I am at school.

So I have told myself I have to stick with it for this year. And if this time next year its no different, then maybe I need to reconsider. I think part of the mentality of being an NQT is always wanting to do your best, show you are keen etc etc ( a bit like your PGCE year) whereas I know other staff in my department who dont care of they are judged for putting a DVD on for half an hour. So in time, perphaps we will put less unnecessary pressure on ourselves.

Seating plans all the way too!

11. I take offence to these comments. Yes I am older - but I still have enthusiasm and work as hard as ANY younger teacher.

I am not on the bandwagon that you need experience of working in other areas before becoming a teacher. I understand people are ready for teaching at different stages in their lives and every teacher has something to be=ring to the profession regardless of age.

Please don't stereotype me as I wouldn't you.

12. milkchocwrapper

milkchocwrapper New commenter

I didn't find it got easier after my first year. there is always some new initiative or new policy etc etc etc. I love the actual teaching part of the job but I feel that most of my working hours are spent doing paperwork and planning and marking... hours and hours of marking!

I gave it a year and did a great job with my class. This year I decided I do not want to live my life working fifity or even sixty hours a week and am leaving at the end of this term. I really feel that teaching has to be the centre of your life if you are to do a good job and i am not prepared for it to be at the centre of my life!

I wanna work to live, not live to work. I have decided to leave as I feel that the class deserve someone who gives them 100%.

Whether teaching, as a profession, should expect this ammount of hours and paperwork from its teachers is another question I will not be waiting to find the answer to.

milkchocwrapper

www.leavingteaching.info

13. I'm in my first post-NQT year, and I'm responding to this post because last year I felt much the same as the OP. Now, a year later, I'm still feeling the same, if not worse. I hate the job. I get plenty of support from my colleagues, but feel **** because I need it. I feel, day in, day out, that I am bashing my head against a brick wall from 8am to 6pm every day. I've become markedy more cynical over the last two years, and really feel that teaching is not for me. At the same time, however, I don't want to leap from the frying pan only to land in the fire, so I'm trying to find something I really want to do. Which is made a little more difficult by the fact that there was a time when I thought that teaching was what I really wanted to do. Coupled with the current state of affairs with regards to jobs, it's not looking likely that I'll get out any time soon.
    I'll offer some limited advice from my own experiences, which agrees with that of a number of other respondents here: Do what you need to do to pass your NQT. There is no need to go above and beyond if the work is digging too deeply into your life. Prioritise, set yourself limits and what doesn't get done simply doesn't get done. The job has become easier and harder in almost equal measures this year, without actually managing to become any more fulfilling: harder because there's so much more of it to do this year, but easier because I've cut down on planning time (by recycling and convincing myself that textbooks aren't actually evil, as well as other things) and having become better at prioritising and not caring so much about the things that drop off the bottom of that list.
    I'll also add my voice to those here who are advising against listening to the pompous types who are assuming that they know your circumstances inside out, and therefore assert with all the confidence and arrogance that I've come to associate with a certain type of teacher that you only entered into it for the money and/or holidays.

14. I've even written my resignation letter when I got home today - quite theraputic really.

My school is completely unsupportive, and the HT gave me the biggest dressing down of my life today after school, and I came home in tears. I was spoken to like a naughty child, and I'm appalled at the way I have been spoken to. The school is full of back stabbers, I don't think that I can talk to anyone there. I am going to keep my head down, and not speak to any staff because something I said - completely innocent - has been taken the wrong way. The HT didn't give me a chance to speak - she just shouted at me and told me to shut the door as I left.

Am counting down until Xmas....then will continue counting down til I can resign on May 31st. Just hoping that I will get another position.

15. I am so glad to have read this thread as it makes me feel a bit better about my current situation. I am at a small village primary school and have a very demanding year 3 class. The teacher that taught the class last year didn't get on with them very well, for want of better words, and left in easter of this year. Most of last year was spent sorting out behavioural issues concerning one particular child with aspergers who turned very violent towards staff and sometimes children and another child who also has beahvioural difficulties. As a result of this disruptive year, my class are now are very young for year three and I have a lot of pressure to bring them up in their numeracy and literacy this year.

I am finding it really difficult during this second term as the child with aspergers is starting to become violent again and its proving difficult to justify his behaviour. The headteacher is putting alot of pressure on me to manage him and put in place so many different strategies to support him. Although there are 25 other children in the class and I feel like there is so much pressure on me to do everything at once and keep my headteacher happy. She is a nice enough person but very single minded when it comes down to children with ASD.

Everyone in my school keeps themselves to themselves and I don't feel like I can openly go and talk to any of the staff there. I don't feel that they would have the time to understand. They are lovely but the other teachers rarely communicate which seems strange to me. Are other schools like this?

I can't talk to my headteacher because what she says goes and my mentor the deputy head thinks very much the same as her. Although she is more approachable. I know that I have to meet the needs of every child but its just so difficult to have such a demanding class in my NQT year and be able to keep on top of everything else that is so new to me. All the teachers have said that they felt it was unfair that I had that class in my NQT year however none of them stepped up to take the class before I joined.

I know it sounds like I am having a good winge but its just that I wish I could escape from all of the mind games. No one can guess as to why the child is turning violent which is why I am having to adapt my plans further to figure out what I am doing wrong. My headteacher is basically saying that whatever is happening is down to what I am doing. I have though about leaving teaching but obviously will wait until the end of the NQT year to see how I feel.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thankyou and sorry for going on.

Violet.

16. That is really quite a bad situation.You should speak to your union rep or ring them directly because that would be considered NQT intimidation.

I'm 23 and I'm in my NQT year and I enjoy teaching! its everything else thats annoying! I HATE MARKING!!! I've got some classes who I love, some that can go either way and some that do my head in. I've taught in Germany and Spain but I actually enjoy teaching here more than either of those! I have days I dread and days I look forward to. I'm also very fortunate because I have a brilliant experienced department who I run to often but outside it, its all useless. The lesson is deal with it yourself and keep it in the dept.

I generally get into school for 7.45 and leave around 5ish and then work through the evening - altho nothing stops me from my dose of heartbeat! But i have learnt not to work on friday or saturday because i can be ok just using sunday afternoon and if not, then it can stuff!

And I am shockingly bad at marking. Thank you DfES or whatever you are for encouraging self assessment and peer marking.

17. I am no longer an NQT but in my third year of teaching and as I read through all your comments I felt compelled to reassure you - it does get better! I thought my PGCE year was tough but then I had to get through the NQT year and, like you, felt like giving up on many occasions. I regularly went home in tears and felt I was never going to crack that horrendous year 10 class that I had last two periods on a Friday. In fact, I didn't. Instead I changed schools! And thats my advice. Don't stay anywhere you truly hate. The next school I was in, whilst still hard work, couldn't have been better for showing me why I went in to teaching (certainly not the money!). I was in a fantastic department, the school was well-managed and discipline was strict. The amount of work stays the same, but you definitely learn to manage it better and certainly don't have to waste time on lesson plans anymore. Teaching became fun and whilst I still made plenty of mistakes and had some tough days, I never once went home in tears.

Not all schools are the same so don't be afraid to move on. I know its not always that easy and if you do have stay where you are then it too will get easier with experience. But if you can, try somewhere new and it could restore your faith in why you are doing this.

18. I'm sorry that you're not enjoying teaching at the moment. I've always loved my job- even when my previous school was in Special Measures and I was working 7am to 7pm at school, then a few more hours at home and the whole of the weekend, but I know that was all because of the children I taught. They are the key to feeling that your devotion is worth it. The other key is time management and prioritising what really needs to be done. If you're in a supportive school, talk to your senior colleagues who should be helping you to manage your workload. It took me 13 years to get to grips with time management and I'm still not quite there!
    And in answer to your question: no, there isn't another job that pays well and gives you long holidays. And I guarantee there isn't another job that can give you as much job satisfaction. You have to put a lot in but you get a lot out!

19. I would agree with the above post. Teaching invades every aspect of your life. If you're not supported at school then you need to find somewhere else. I left my first school mid-way through my NQT year because I was completely alone, no PPA time, no support, just put in a SAT's year group where the door was shut firmly behind me. Lots of people said I was crazy to leave and that I should see it through. All I knew was that I wasn't happy and didn't want to stay there. I did supply for the final term which gave me a really good taste of different schools and there ethos. Most importantly, I learned the difference between what I wanted from a school and what I most definately didn't want. I started applying for jobs for the new academic year and was lucky enough to find a lovely, really supportive school. It's still hard, don't get me wrong. I worry alot and reflect alot but I think that's just the nature of the job. To not do so would make for rubbish teacher in my oppinion (which I don't wish to press in the way that some others have). If you hate the school, leave the school. If you hate teaching, leave the profession, but don't make the mistake of confusing the 2 issues.

I really hope that sharing my experience helps you. Best of luck in what ever you decide.

20. ok so some of you guys im guessin thought you would be finished with the hard work after student year! BIG MISTAKE! teaching is not an easy job but one that we do because we care about young people and because we love it!

dont get me wrong i have my days where there are not enough swear workds to describe how im feeling but that is all part n parcel of the job.

this is what helps to get me through tough days:

kids are only human - they have off days too!

respect is not a given we have to earn it as much as the kids (yes we do!)

these things take time it will not happen overnight!