1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else not enjoying life as a teacher?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Tidally, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

[​IMG]
    What subject do you teach? That sounds completely disproportionate, possibly even for an English teacher!

2. Hi

Im currently a secondary NQT and thoroughly enjoying it. To be honest I'm shocked at some of the posts I've read on this thread. If youve put yourself through a degree and a Teacher Training year, then are in probation as yo like the holidays, want the salary but are not prepared for what kids throw at you, good or bad, then youre in the wrong job. Get out now before you have to rely on Prozac to get you through. Teaching is for those who want to do it, not as a way into a job cos your degree cant get you anything.

It is demanding, even though I know that my job next year (if i get one) will be harder than the 0.7 I am doing now. Your head should have warned you during student placements if you couldnt or didnt want to do it.

3. The job of teaching is never "done" and you will never be "finished". It sounds odd, but there will never be a time when you can say "I'm all finished now, nothing to think about until Monday."
    We all deal with it in different ways. Some people refuse to take work home so the idea of school is mostly left at school. Some people have specific times (e.g. Sunday afternoon) which they set aside for school work. Most teachers find themselves thinking and/or worrying about school even when they're doing completely non-related things. It's about finding what works for you. And it will take time.
    Personally, I'm in school 7.30-6. I rarely work at home (one evening every 3 weeks or similar, plus the odd bit of marking). Usually one day in a holiday set aside for school work (5 in the summer, but that's because I enjoy making my classroom pretty). And I have to have proper time away - this can be proper holidays, or short and cheap camping trips to the lake district - but I have to get away.
    giggle. xx

4. I am an English teacher and I did not really enjoy my PGCE year as it was a lot of work but I saw a light at the end of the tunnel and thought it would get easier and it hasn't! The teachers are all very happy with me and say that I'm doing a really good job - my observations are coming back very positive. I just don't really enjoy it and resent spending so much time doing work.

I'm sitting here dreading going back on MOnday to everything I must face. I was up until midnight last night marking assessments and I ewill be marking today. I don't know how everyone else is NOT doing this!

I probably went into teaching for the wrong reasons as you say - I thought it would be nice to teach a subject I love but moreso I thought it would be something I could travel with and fall back on when I have a family in years to come.

I could make the proper time away like you say giggle but then I would trurn up next week and have nothing to teach and not have the marking to hand back to my kids.

Oh, I feel so low with it all. Just dreading it x

5. laul - I'm so sorry you're feeling so low.
    Personally I LOVE teaching but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to 'switch off'. Even if I do manage to veg out for a few hours in the evening, as soon as I go to bed at night thoughts about teaching are constantly racing through my brain. I love my job, my school, the department, my students etc. but I just find it hard to 'let go'. Even during half term, school stuff is just swimming around in my brain.

6. laul - you will get more work done if you take time away - sounds ridiculous but is totally true. xx

7. Im in school from 8 to 5 and managing to bring very little home with me... but i teach key stage 1 so there's little marking and such to do as i do it during the focus groups and mark as i work with the children. One of the benefits of working in key stage 1 i think - although more time is spent preparing resources and thinking of 5 different activities to have out on each table that all relate to the LO!
    I still find myself so shattered in the evenings that i dont have the energy to have a life or do anything remotely interesting..so life involves work, eat, sleep...half term has been so refreshing actually being able to stay up and watch a movie with the boyfriend without falling asleep!

8. Personally, I really enjoy the actual day to day teaching of my class. I have a really really challenging class but am determined to get through to them and am enjoying the challenge of it all really.
    What I am not enjoying is all the politics in school - I got OFSTED'd in my 2nd week and failed because a child 'kicked off'. Since then its like management haven't left me alone. I have had positive observations since then - it was a one off thing. But it still seems like I can't do anything right - I am actually not looking forward to going back at all and I hate that I feel that way cos I love teaching.
    I am sorry for those who aren't enjoying teaching - it has taken you alot of work to get this far. I think you should stick it out for a bit longer. Things will get better and if they don't maybe you should think of a something else.

9. I have to say, I'm secondary but seem to do similar hours to you... I teach drama (also an NQT) and I love it. While I have less written work to mark than many other subjects, we do still do some every lesson. A lot of my marking time is marking practical in lessons. I often give up lunchtimes and some after school for rehearsals and theatre trips, but it's not every night. If my school expect me not to bring my home life into school, then I don't expect to have to take my school life home!

Sometimes it is necessary (exam marking etc) but I deal with it as and when.... I tend to use my PPA/non-contact sessions wisely and blitz my planning and resources, and I write lesson plans that are easily adaptable to different groups and make reusable resources. In our school we have to put marks etc on SIMs for mini report every 6 weeks.

Fact is, it's not an easy job and I've never been led to believe so.... the money isn't great and we deal with children and hormonal teenagers all the time. But I love this job. I'm hoping that money, job security and holiday are not the reasons that the OP went into the job. If they are the reasons (and I'm not saying they defo are, only they know why they went into teaching) then you're in the wrong job. If you genuinely love teaching, see your co-ordinating mentor about some extra support etc.... if you don't ask, you don't get!

Good luck and keep your heads up everyone

10. '<font size="3" face="Calibri">I haven?t had a great start to my NQT year, my dad died at the start of October from a year long battle with cancer. I?ve found it so hard to give my 'all' to the job since I started in Sept because I?ve had so much else going on with my family.'</font>
    If this has happened at the start of your NQT year I would give yourself a big pat on the back for getting through the last half term in one piece and be easy on yourself. I know it's easier said than done (as this is something I am trying to do atm!) but try not to worry about letting people down when deciding what to do as it is your life and you are the one who has to live it.

11. So sorry to hear of your loss

Has your school offered you counselling through your county services?
    My best friend was killed in my final term of NQT and I was close to having a complete breakdown over it. My school has been wonderfully supportive and offered counselling/time off etc and very understanding members of staff when I'm having a horrendous day (my TA has had to step in and take over some days when I burst into tears for no reason!)
    I echo the advice about taking it easy on yourself. Are staff aware at your school? Is there somebody you can talk to? Sometimes we can be a lot harder on ourselves when times are really tough and we expect ourselves to carry on as normal. It is ok to show weakness and ask for help. This is a year to learn and develop, not to run yourself into the ground.

12. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

It is a tough year but remember to ask for help if you need it. I lost my auntie - who I was very close to - at the beginning of last year when on final teaching practice, my nana last August, and my mum in June this year when in my first term of my NQT year. I had lots of offers of help even though I am only on a maternity cover. I was offered time off too but I felt like I just wanted to be at work to take my mind off things. I find that has helped - you can't mope about if you have 20 odd year 3's needing you! I would just take every day as it comes and try to get through it - if you feel like you don't want to carry on at the end of your NQT year then that is your decision however I feel that the year after this will be lots better - you will have a year under your belt and will know what to do etc. Don't give up unless you are absolutely sure it's what is best for you.

13. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

oh no! my mum doesn't like it when i tell my family and friends i'm finding the work hard. she says they are going to think i am a failure once i leave my work! I love teaching i really hate the paperwork, i know im a good teacher, but want to do other things in relation to education/teaching. i don't know if it is becasue i am in my nqt year and am not giving myself the benefit of the doubt.

14. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

How is it going for everyone else so far?

15. Going from bad to worse! Kids are utter monsters at the moment and I keep losing my voice from all the shouting. I've finally got a TA for one of the classes that should have one, but still awaiting another 12 hours of support for all my other bottom set multi-statemented groups. Really don't know how I'm coping, although I imagine the answer is "not very well"!

16. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

I understand what you are going through, what a tough job!

17. I hated my job for three year, ill with anxiety and stress, and under a huge amount of constant pressure, but now I adore teaching, never take any work home with me and finish an hour earlier than I used to!
    Moved schools? No, I moved country, never ever want to go back to the stress of the English teaching system, a system where the end result does not match the effort of the teachers. Have hardly any paperwork or after school meetings, no observations and guess what? my children are learning at a comparable rate to those I used to teach at home.

18. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

wow, as I was reading the first part of your post I was thinking 'yes there is
    hope' your post actually made me laugh, what you have written is very true. Which country are you teaching, I do not have the opportunity to go to another country because of family commitments.

19. [​IMG]
    Sorry to get your hopes up!
    I'm in Ireland now, not too far away geographically but the job is a million miles away from what I was doing at home. Many of the teachers I worked with trained in the UK, and not one of them stayed to teach there when they had finished training.

20. Hello,

I don't hate my job far from it it keeps me on my toes and is 80% fun. Its been bloody tough, the start especially but now its getting better, yeah I'm busy. Sometimes I wish I could just switch off and forget but it. The last few weeks of school have got better because the kids are getting use to how I work, basically I don't take **** and don't see why I should!

However I am absolutely livid. I have basically been told that I am being to harsh on the kids I get rid of during a lesson. I'm sorry but I do a job for the majority not *** minority and will not bow down to pain in the *** kids. Also I have read in some places how people feel that some teachers are too harsh and we should cut the gap between kids from deprived areas and more well off kids, sorry thats ***. I am from a working class background but I knew where the boundary lie, I make it clear to my kids where it is and if they don't like it they can clear off and come back when they accept. I am not easing off for anyone in or out of school. GRRRR!!!!!!!!!! So *** angry!