1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else not enjoying life as a teacher?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Tidally, Oct 19, 2008.

1. I should be grateful I have secured a job as an NQT but to be honest I am not enjoying it at all! what other jobs are there other than teaching, that pays well and get decent holidays? Since I have started my weekends are depressing as I am always thining about school!

2. Me!! I'm thinking exactly the same as you. I've been treated like sh*t by the kids (some of them) at my school, and colleagues tell me to 'warm to them'. Unbelievable.

3. I could have written this post my self.. I spent ages the other day looking for other jobs. I've decided that I am giving teaching 2 years.. If it doesn't drastically improve then I'm going to do something else. I just dont have a life since have started teaching and I hate it.

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I agree it's difficult. There have been days when I have been spitting with rage over classes that just don't give a damn.
    PSHE is a waste of time (theirs and mine).
    Managing your time seems to be something to really work out in this year - I'm getting there but it will still take a while (particularly with marking and upcoming quality assurance :S).
    But I refuse to surrender. Let 'them' win? Pfft. The NQT year is always going to be a low point. Suddenly you're in charge of several classes and a ton of assessment to go with it. Everything needs thought and that's why we can't switch off. I've been too lax with some classes, and have paid for it - something I'm working on resolving...and have made stuff this evening.
    I may be a single-minded fool, but I'm a determined single-minded fool!

5. Plus at least we have job security. Having lots of friends who work in the city, it's not to be taken lightly!

6. I am glad i'm not the only one who has issues with PSHE!! I think that is my low point of the week. Lessons in my other subjects are fine...but PSHE is just out of control. The students don't see the point in it and the entire lesson is spent trying to get students to sit and listen.

Remember once you have taught the lessons once with any luck planning next year will be easier as won't need to totally redo

7. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

I agree totally with Captain Obvious - there's no way I'm going to be ground down by a group of kids!

A good piece of advice I got given on placement was if you have a difficult class, then rate the lesson(s) out of 1-10, where 10 is everyone listening all the time, courteous to each other and you, respectful and on-task throughout. Then rate where you expect the class should be at (it's not really reasonable to expect all classes to be at a 10. I know it should, but it's not). Recognise that you can't go straight from a 1 to a 10, you need to move up the scale in small steps. So decide on which aspect you'll focus for the next lesson, and afterwards see how you'd rate the lesson. Any improvement is good, if there's no improvement then tick what you tried off the list of things to try.

Obviously, sometimes big changes are needed, but still thinking of the improvements you've seen from it, and how to build on it is the best way forwards - recognise the small things that have got better and you'll be able to build on these to get bigger changes.

8. Like you, last year as an NQT - it put a huge strain on my marriage and I thought I would start this year as a divorcee!! But as previous posts have suggested - it really is a period of adjustment for the whole family and they do get used to it and I know my hubby is really proud of me now. Even this year, by mid September I was wondering if this was all worth it - but we have settled into our routine again and its fine. I work 8 till 5 in school and usually bring some work home with me so I probably do a couple more hours at home 4 nights a week and work most of Sunday too. But I have a mixed year 3/4 class and a rolling 2 year curriculum and therefore have had to polish up my subject knowledge again this year but I am hoping that providing I stay in the same year group next year then all my plans will be in place and it should be easier then. Like you I bring 'easy jobs' like cutting and mounting home with me - yes I do have a TA but I also have a high ratio of SEN children in my class and all her time is taken with supporting them so I am happy to have it that way around and do the admin or cutting jobs at home. I have promised myself 1 more year in my current school to see if things do indeed get easier and if not, then I owe it to myself and my family to try out another school to see if things are different as far as workload is concerned. I do have teacher friends who work till 5.30/6pm in primary schools but then never bring work home mid week or weekends - thats what I would ideally like.

One more tip - dont think that your NQT file has to be anywhere as much in depth as the PDP (PGCE) files as they dont and I saved myself alot of time when I realised this. It was only checked once by someone from County in the winter term and no one has asked to see it ever since!

Good luck and hold on to the positives - it will get better - honest!

9. I love it, but this is now the second cold I have had this half term - not a happy bunny [​IMG]

10. If you don't like it, get out. If you thought it was going to be an easy number, you've learned your lesson. If you thought the money and hols made up for what you go through, think again. If you are 'taking education to the children who need it most, and will really be appreciative', you'll get those rose-tinted glasses ripped off in short order. If you think 'it's all about the kids', wait till your first parents evening.

It's a tough, demanding, ungrateful, unappreciative, beast of a job. Deal with it or leave it.

Personally, I love teaching.

angelsmiles likes this.
  11. milkchocwrapper

milkchocwrapper New commenter

Hi all,

I realised shortly after completing my training that the workload never does get easier. I feel underappreciated, demoralized and like this job doesnt give me the satisfaction it promised. I handed in my resignation lately and the deputy said t;t want my lifeo me: "I don't blame you" Even he knows what a horrible school it is to work in for me and said that he's surprised I lasted that long in the awful atmosphere between staff.

I know I'm a good teacher, but teaching has not been good to me and I'm scared of getting another teaching post in case it's just as bad there!!!

I don't want my life to revolve around the massive ammounts of paper work, and I don;t believe the fact that it's a vocation should be used as an excuse for that. I'm leaving to do new things - I don;t know what yet. I *** lot of effort and time into this and I'm not prepared to any more. These should be the best years of my life... not spent 8am - 8pm and sundays!

i wanted to make a difference and i dont feel like its a drop in the ocean!

milkchocwrapper

www.leavingteaching.info

12. Oh, get over yourself. The OP is going through a hard time and is looking for a bit of encouragement, a touch of moral aupport, and doesn't to be told off by an arrogant, self-satisfied pillock.

Abcmsaj likes this.
  13. Not an NQT, just browsing through.

I am sorry to hear that so many are finding it tough in their first few years. It does get better as the years progress.

You build up more resources to cut down on prep time and also gain more experience.

Have you tried asking SMT for advice, or even other teachers who have the same, disruptive pupils as you?

As for losing "me time" due to pressures of work, you dont have to do all the things asked of you. Many newcomers to any job feel that if they don't do everything they will in some way be criticised. You won't. You can only do a certain amount.

My philosophy has always been "my life and health are more important" if you can't do it, don't do it.

If SMT won't give you support to do you job then perhaps you need to find a more supportive school.

14. "Oh, get over yourself. The OP is going through a hard time and is looking for a bit of encouragement, a touch of moral aupport, and doesn't to be told off by an arrogant, self-satisfied pillock. "

Oh boo hoo hoo. I'm just a bit tired of people who've done a degree, then wondered what to do with it, and decided that teaching seems like an easy option. It's not, and the sooner some of these tourists into the world of education realise that the better life will be for them. And if I sound like an arrogant self-satisfied pillock, so be it. I've also got large shoulders, chip-free, and a thick skin.

I'm guilty of all the things I mentioned, the thing that kept me going was having a sense of humour. Not running round for a group hug.

15. Quite an offensive assumption to be making. Who are you to decide that the OP didn't know what to do with a degree and decided that teaching is an easy option?

Thankfully not all teachers are as arrogant and downright mean as you seem to be - some children (and adults) need the 'group hug' as you put it to get them through. It's called 'community' and people look out for each other rather than knocking people down at any opportunity.

16. I think you actually need to try something to see if it works for you. Its a bit like giving birth. You have actually no idea of how much it hurts until you try!

17. Hi

Teaching is like learning a musical instrument except that when you are learning an instrument you have many years to learn before you are put on stage in front of the public. In teaching you are put straight on stage and you have to make mistakes there. Also, everyone around you feels you should have it sussed. They may make good kids teachers but they might not be very good teacher teachers, if this makes sense.

Remember you are all heros for being in teaching as you are the future of the education system. In a way all the teachers who support you are already on their way out but you are just on the way in. It is very very tough. If you were suddenly to be off ill however and you could be a fly on the wall in your classroom I bet you would hear a lot of the kids kicking off saying "Oh!!! Where's Mrs X or Mr M?". You suddenly realise that the kids are slwoly forming a bond with you but its something you will noit have noticed in the classroom youself.

Get yourselves a good break and come back fighting. Try and just correct 2 things next term that are not working for you. Take some time to plan for bad behaviour and don't just spend time planning for the learning. Now you have done a 1/2 term can you think of a solution to get silence in that difficult year 9 class. This is an intellectual challenge and you are all high quality graduates. Sit down and plan it out like a strategy. But don't go mad and try and find solutions for everything, this takes years. Just try and solve one or two of the problems you are having and this just might make the difference you need next 1/2 term.

[​IMG]

18. Hi Tidally,

I'm also an NQT and was concerned about how much work I had to do at home etc.
    Dumpie Rusty Nuts' advice I think is worth taking onboard. My Ast Head told me in my first weeks that a work life balance is essential. I find that I work in school from about 8-6 which is granted longer than you might in a more "9-5" job. I can justify these longer ours when balancing them against the holidays but working to this pattern allows me to rarely take things home - a massive advantage.
    I am a secondary teacher and I get the impression that primary teachers are more heavuly burdoned but I hope this helps - set yourself a time limit and prioritise. What doesn't get done, doesn't. I have seen many departments asked to produce things in the run up to ofsted and those departments who are "unionally aware" give the a proud 2s up on the basis that they just don't have time. I risky move but worth a thought.

Pulsafe

19. I'm with divemonkey.
    The way the OP reads is as if all they are looking for is some money and 'decent holiday' so they thought they might give teaching a go.
    I think about school at the weekend, but I think about it because I love my job. I get great satisfaction from teaching the children I teach and planning on a sunday the ways in which I will teach them.
    The OP doesn't appear to be looking for support...just a quick fix job solution.

20. I have to say, I feel exactly the same as milkchocwrapper. I am an NQT and the job is taking over my life. I get into school about 7.30am and stay until about 5.30pm. I then come home, eat dinner and get straight on with working more. I have a very understanding boyfriend who doesn't put any pressure on me to leave work as he understands how stressed and upset i am if I am going into school unprepared. The ironic thing is, despite all this work, I never get on top of it all. In fact, I am barely keeping my head above water. The school know exactly how I feel as it the same as the two other NQTs that have also started. They offer a lot of support and guidance and I can't fault them at all. Most of them just say, 'welcome to the world of teaching!' They know how hard it is, in particular your first year and even though they say it gets easier, I am now inclined to think that they just get used to it as opposed to it getting easier. They still spend their sundays and eveings doing work, even the most experienced because they offer me worksheets they did 'last night' and I receive emails from them at 8pm, so although they say it gets easier, they're still working hard.

I can't see myself staying in teaching after my NQT year. I can't carry on spending this amount of time on work outside of work!

I have friends who work in the city and although they may not get home until 7pm, at least there evening is there own until they go into work the next day again. Oh and the extra £15,000 a year they get also helps!