1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else here fed up with ridiculous edumanagement newspeak?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Evening all. Last week, I was in an assembly where we had an entire thirty minute presentation from one of the school's catering suppliers about how he got rich quick and is always 'food customer ready.' And this week, we have these exams, and staff who are not 'front of house' or 'customer-facing' need not dress smartly, as they are not on full view. What on earth is happening to our language?! Every day, I swear our schools, our 'managers', even our students, start to sound more and more like inept civil servants. I vote we gather the best howlers on this thread, then set up a campaign for clear English in schools. A campaign to remove unnecessary dead words ...C.R.U.D!

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

GET OUT NOW - do you not feel your very soul crying out for a normal school where the students are students, the teachers are teachers...well you get the idea OR become one, assimilate now...eek!

upload_2016-1-8_20-54-28.jpeg

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. sirspamalotless

sirspamalotless Occasional commenter

There is an airbourne bug going around called buzzollockitus, which you can catch by standing too close to an infected manager. The symptoms range from talking in pseudo-management speak to introducing silly ideas into the school such as colour-coded marking. Death follows shortly after, usually with 70 years.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Sounds a good idea going forward

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Eh?

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I was looking at the website of a new academy and after almost every other word were brackets with the 'normal' word in, by way of explanation. It was hilarious, but how could they not see how ridiculous it was? When my sons 'school decided to call form tutors 'peer mentors', without telling anyone, I rang the school to ask who was this 'peer mentor' I was scheduled to meet. The weary sounding receptionist explained, and said she didn't expect that mine would be the last call on the subject...

Yoda- likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

"Here at Happy Hollow Academy, we offer communication without compromise." Ok...

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Idiomatic newspeak is simply an extension of a centuries old elitism. Whether it was the church with Latin or law with its archaic terminology, by inventing idiomatic newspeak you can diversify the literal meaning of language and bring in a marketplace of choice. In addition, you can disabuse outsiders' notions and primed confirmation bias by using ever elusive and effervescent idiomatic signifiers within the exchange experienced by interlocutors. It makes you not clever or any better as a teacher or manager alas. It does inflate your salary for doing the same thing but calling it something else. For example, freeloading parasite or executive trustee.

Friendly fire anyone?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Definitely maybe...

11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

When I was at uni, we were told that this was to make your particular discipline a "secret garden" that outsiders could not easily understand. It apparently is intended to make you sound like an "expert".

Mrsmumbles and MrMedia like this.