1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else having to use children's toilets due to Covid?

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by dingbat24, Aug 13, 2020.

1. dingbat24

dingbat24 New commenter

Am wondering how common it is for teachers to be told to share toilets with pupils

2. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I've never heard of it before

3. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Why would you be asked to? It seems very degrading and could prove embarrassing. I hope it is not to save money on cleaning.

4. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Potential child protection issue as the staff member could be alone with a child and not within eyesight of other staff.

LadyPsyche likes this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Extraordinary. What if children were told to use staff facilities?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

7. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

don't

hjkempson likes this.
  8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

My school has one new build block with only one male/female/disabled toilet on each of two floors. Not ideal. I only use it when pressed for time as there are other single sex toilets with more than one cubicle elsewhere.

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I can't understand why you would need to? Staff toilets are still there and cleaners are in school every day.

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Devil's advocate here. School outing in normal times. Stop at motorway services. Do staff and pupils use different facilities?

11. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Some schools have no staff toilets, and staff use disabled toilets rather than student toilets.

12. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Depends how fit you were! In an EMPTY(of children) school, as in when adults were in a school for summer activities, a group of adults got told to use the nursery block toilets. The adults who could squat easily were fine. But that's obviously not the case here-if you were being told to use them only on INSET days, I guess it might be a different story.

13. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Why are your school asking you to do this? How is it related to Covid? Are pupils using these toilets at the same time as staff? In order to allocate toilets to ‘bubbles’ last term in our school pupils were allocated the staff toilets and staff expected to use the accessible toilet. It didn’t create any problems.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. dingbat24

dingbat24 New commenter

No. Staff supervise the children first then when all children out take turns to use the toilets.

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

If possible, I try to do this the other way round, @dingbat! Staff very quickly go first (in turn, of course) then all children can go. It's not always possible and I know it doesn't make sense at all - public toilets are use by the public - but somehow I really struggle with the idea of sharing facilities with the children in my class.

16. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Ditto.