1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone else having problems with satnav?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax20, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

It has become very unreliable here over the last few weeks, is this a widespread problem or local?

2. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Must be the Russians or maybe the Chinese .................?

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Mine is working OK, in East Anglia. Could your satnav be due for an update?

4. Corvuscorax20

maybe, if it was just me, but it seems to be many different members of the running club I'm in, and many different brands of satnav

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

They want you all to invest in a new SatNav! Built in obsolescence!

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I thought you took the bus everywhere, Corvus, and that you didn't have a car...

7. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

SatNav rots your brain. Get a map.

8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Do you leave it on the windscreen all the time? I think my last one melted in the heat so I leave it in the glove compartment between uses now!

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I prefer to use the Force

WB and nomad like this.
  10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I had a tomtom which refused to work when it was too hot. A problem when I was driving around in summer...
    I now have a built in garmin which works, but I don't like it as much.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

I use astral projection and the moss on the north side of tree trunks.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I use my son. When I get lost, I ring him up, he gets out the roadmaps and gives me directions. Plus insults, unfortunately.

13. WB

WB Star commenter

I still prefer to use a map. I know sat nav is very good and it has rescued me once or twice but nothing beats actually knowing where you are.

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, now we know you have a car, @Corvuscorax20 we'll be expecting you to fill it with all those food bank donations that are lining your hallway, and take them to the needy in your area! Or to that breakfast kitchen where you volunteer.
    You don't need to be gorging on luxury foodstuffs, now that you're on a diet...

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm perfectly capable of reading a map, but a map doesn't give me live traffic updates like my trusty TomTom does.

I was reading an article only last night about the phenomenon of GPS spoofing, where things being GPS tracked are made to look like they're somewhere else, including whole ships. Apparently popular with Putin's bodyguards to ward off drone attacks, amongst other things.

Have you knowingly been in the presence of Vladimir Putin @Corvuscorax20 ? I think we should be told.

mothorchid and WB like this.
  16. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I thought it was just me who did that.:)

nomad likes this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

A couple of cars ago, I was driving along happily and glancing at the satnav, was surprised to see a large blue screen, with La Manche across the middle. I hadn’t realised that the vehicle was amphibious or that I was miles away from where I thought I was. Software update was the cause apparently.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Farm track near us which is a dead end and deep mud has a sign: "Your satnav is lying."

19. Corvuscorax20

I don't have a car. As I said, I run. Most long distance runners use sat nav to keep track of location, distance, pace, elevation......etc.

I agree, in so far as travelling goes, but not for sports training.

20. Corvuscorax20

I don't have a car @Dunteachin

Dunteachin likes this.