1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have a wheezer?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Chica77, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My brother had asthma as a baby but I don't think they could diagnose it until he was 2. He used to have inhalers and so on, but he did outgrow it when he was older.
    My son wheezes sometimes if he has a cold, but not generally. It's harder for them as babies/toddlers to realise they need to cough to clear their chests.
    As for walking, my friend's son didn't walk until he was 16 months. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

2. My OH also has bad asthma. LO developed croup a few months back and couln't shift it till he was given steroids in hospital. The doctor there also told us that they can't diagnose asthma till a child is older but that they can often spot a child who is more likley to develop asthma.

I don't know if you take LO swimming, but that is supposed to be brilliant to strengthen lungs of asthmatics without straining them too much. Even if your LO doesn't have asthma its pretty fun anyway!