1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else hating it?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Piscean1, Sep 17, 2017.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Sorry, but that is not true. If someone started at the beginning of this term and resigns to leave at the 31st December, they will have completed one Induction term. It will either be deemed to be on track for meeting the Induction standards or not on track.
    It's only the final Induction verdict that matters though. You can be not meeting the standards for 2 Induction terms and then meet them at the final hurdle.

You can also start Induction terms mid-term. The only stipulation is that it is known from the start of the employment that you are intended to still be employed at the same point in the following school term (based on a 3 term school year).

Don't let a Head say that there will be no Induction term starting, and no 10% reduced timetable, until a new school term sgtarts and you are being kept on until the end of that term.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Sorry, but it is true, because it happened to me.

I resigned during my NQT year, part way through my second term, and therefore they halted the NQT induction at the point of my resignation. I was then given an interim report for that term.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Was that a choice given to you to avoid a 'not meeting the standards' verdict on your second term?
    The regulations are that any employment of an NQT, where it is known that it will last at least a term's length, must be part of Induction.

4. blueskydreaming

Although the rules are that you must be enrolled into an NQT programme if you are employed for at least a term, it's a different situation when you resign mid way through a term.

If you resign part way through then your engagement or support on the induction programme may be compromised, so they can halt it, and instead provide an interim assessment at the end of the term. This is much fairer than making you continue, especially if you have resigned due to lack of support or the school not following the statutory induction requirements. The interim assessment means that you are still fulfilling the requirement of being enrolled on an NQT induction. It's also beneficial, as starting a new job with only 1 term remaining is a challenge - you don't know the kids, or the school policies, therefore meeting the standards can be tricky.

5. blueskies6

blueskies6 New commenter

I'm really struggling as well. The HT is horrible to me - told me on the first day back that she predicted I was going to fail my NQT year, has called me a loser and told me I'm abusing my TA - I am constantly being told I'm unorganised and my TA is reporting back to the HT about me. I've been told off for making a phone call to my GP AFTER school because I should have been working and went in on a Saturday once and was told off for only going in for 1 hour. The support that has been put in place for me is basically a schedule for how I should manage every minute of my time when I'm not teaching, including what I should be doing at home each night, and I'm expected to send my phase leader my completed planning for the following week on Friday evening, who then reads it, sends me notes on it and then we repeat the process. I have been criticised for completing planning on a Sunday. Anyway, I'm finding all of this unsustainable and can't see it getting better, so thinking of handing in my notice to leave at Christmas. I'd really welcome some advice.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi blueskies

You need to call your union and the Education Support Partnership and explain exactly what you have written on here. I am not an expert on the NQT training year but it sounds as though you are being bullied. It is not acceptable to call anyone a "loser" nor is it acceptable to tell someone they are going fail. Furthermore, they should not be telling you what to do at home nor should you go in on a Saturday. Who is responsible for seeing to your training? Is it someone outside the school?

People have left schools during their NQT year and have found other placements, but you need advice on how to do it so you get a good reference when you do go.

Perhaps blueskydreaming will see your post and give advice since she changed schools during her NQT and usually has sound advice for people.

How can anyone in a position of leadership in a school call someone a loser? If you called one of your students a loser, you would get the sack almost immediately. You are not a loser.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    blueskydreaming and blueskies6 like this.
  7. blueskies6

blueskies6 New commenter

Hi pepper5,

I have spoken to my union and they have said they will only get involved as a last resort after I have raised my concerns with my mentor at school. I have done this and been told that the HT can be very abrupt but that I should't take it personally. Other members of SLT have been present when derogatory language has been used towards me and not said or done anything so can't see anyone within the school helping me with this. I've contacted the Education Support Partnership as well and was told that I should try to stick it out for the first 3 months as those are always the hardest, but that if I'm really unhappy I should make a plan to leave.

I really think my best option is to resign at this point. My personal circumstances are difficult as well at the moment (my brother is seriously ill) so I'm hoping I can give that as a reason for leaving without getting the HT's back up. Then I might do supply for a while... Honestly, my experience for the last month has started to put me off teaching for good, but friends have reassured me that other schools are not like this.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

bluskies

Then go back to the union and explain that you have raised concerns with your mentor and tell them again about the derogatory language being used towards you. Ask them what you need to do to ensure that if you do leave you will get a decent reference and ask them what steps you need to take if you do decide to leave at Christmas.

I am sorry to hear about your brother. I trust he is better soon.

Supply would be a good way of getting your confidence back as well as having a good look around schools to see which ones you would like to work at. I can ASSURE you not all schools or people are like what you have experienced.

I accept that some HTs or SLT are abrupt, but to use derogatory language towards their staff and to call them losers is unprofessional and quite shocking. I wouldn't want my children enrolled at the school.

Don't worry...you will find another school that will support you. Others have and so will you.

blueskies6 likes this.
  9. blueskies6

blueskies6 New commenter

Thanks pepper5, it's reassuring that other NQTs have found different schools that support them after leaving their first school. Being called a loser is only the tip of the iceberg - I've also been told I need to go and be a level 3 TA for 10 years because I'm about 20 years behind where I should be and my favourite, "Did you think that because you weren't being paid for the holidays you didn't have to do any work?" (that was because I was laminating things at school the Thursday before school started back instead of making things at home to bring in).

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It is clear that you are being bullied, but I don't know what you can do about it other than leave and find another school.

Please do not believe any of the lies they are saying.

Speak to your union and find out how to make plans to leave.

You deserve far, far better and there are schools that will support you.

blueskies6 likes this.
  11. blueskies6

blueskies6 New commenter

Thank you pepper. I will speak to my union tomorrow.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. blueskydreaming

You can also contact the named person responsible for NQT induction at the local authority, and make them aware of the situation. Their job is to support you (and the school), and ensure the school is following statutory NQT requirements. The fact that your 'support' is just a list/schedule is something they would be able to help with. They will also be aware of previous issues that others have encountered in your school, because they know all the gossip, and if you are being bullied they would be interested to know this information so they can keep an eye on the school.

Your union is so busy dealing with countless teachers who are experiencing bullying and torment, which is why their response to you has been so poor. You need to take note of when and where all of these incidents happen - keep a list, keep email evidence and so on. However, as @pepper5 says above, if you want them to help you negotiate an exit then do push them.

Please don't put up with this **** any longer - your HT has no right to speak to you like that, and the fact that no one stands up for you when you are belittled speaks volumes about the way the school is run and the people who work there. Working in a school like that is bad for the soul.

As @pepper5 mentioned above, I left part way through my NQT year. I went on to find a fantastic school, where I completed my NQT induction. I didn't have my union help to negotiate an exit, as the school wanted me gone, and when I was told I should resign I immediately said I would do (the place was making me ill); the named person at the LA was involved in a sense because I had a meeting with him the same or the following day, and he was able to suggest a reasonable 'notice' period (the school wanted me to work the entire academic year! This is despite telling me I shouldn't be a teacher, and the point of resignation being half way through the year. Cheeky ********!) The school gave me what I imagine is a bland reference - they were smart enough to realise that a poor reference would reflect badly on them. My next job, which I was offered immediately, was a maternity cover. It had an odd start date, so was less desirable for others, which increased the odds of me getting it.

When you resign, give a bland resignation letter. Burn no bridges. 'Thank you for the support and the opportunities that have been offered to me...'. Lie. You probably are better off having a reason for leaving, as your HT sounds the sort to question further. So 'Unfortunately, due to a change in my personal circumstances, which involves a close member of my family being very unwell, I have no other choice but to hand in my resignation. The last day of my employment will be 31st December 2017.' Also a polite 'I wish the school all the best for the future' would seal the deal.

Good luck :)

blueskies6 and pepper5 like this.
  13. Aperture94

Aperture94 New commenter

You'll hate it, you'll cry/get angry, you'll feel like it's never every going to get better.

You might wake up not wanting to go into work one day, you might feel like the to do list will never end, you might feel like you don't want to be in the career anymore.

What your headteacher said isn't right, you don't need a short term solution, but a long term one. If you are feeling suicidal, please remember you have people to talk to. Last year, I was in a difficult situation re moving away/behaviour management/unsustainable workload/not knowing what the hell I was doing (!!!!). I nearly drove my car into the central reservation of the motorway because I felt that low. Please never let it get to that. Message me if you ever feel like that!

If you resign now, you can leave at Christmas, or negotiate an early release. I'm sure someone has already covered this!

On a positive note, I had the NQT year from hell last time, I felt exactly like you this time last year. Now, I have a new job in a new school and I absolutely adore it! There is somewhere out there for you :)

pepper5 likes this.
  14. CWadd

CWadd Established commenter

@blueskies - your head sounds like an utter nutbag who should not be anywhere near a school.

NQTs need support and development - not abuse and aggression. Speak to your union again, speak to the person in charge of NQT induction. Ring the Teacher Support Network. Keep talking to us all on here. x

blueskies6 likes this.
  15. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Many, many NQTs now complete induction in a different school to the one they started in. Life and the induction year is too short to be miserable! Do however leave professionally, force your Union to support you as they all seem to be very reluctant to rock the boat theses days. Stop paying Union fees and employ legal advice. All organisations have complaints processes including schools and unions- use them.
    Involve the named contact at the Appropriate Body where there are concerns about the quality of the induction being provided. Many heads try to cut corners these days to save money but induction is a statutory process and they have to follow the processes and practices as laid down. Heads need reminding that reputation is as important as finance!

16. blueskies6

blueskies6 New commenter

Thank you all for your advice. I have now handed in my resignation and will be leaving at Christmas. It feels like a weight has been lifted now I know I only have to get through 2 more months.

blueskydreaming and Lalad like this.
  17. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Another teacher driven out of the profession - what a waste.

When are the powers that be going to realise that the demands and expectations of teaching today are unsustainable?

yellowflower likes this.
  18. blueskydreaming

Best of luck - I hope that you can recover from this, and go on to find a lovely supportive school like I did.

Remember, we're always here on the forum, so if you need support during the next two months then leave another message x

blueskies6 likes this.