1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else had a similar Monday?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by timboleicester123, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ME: damon have you set yourself a target? How many of the words for shops are you going to learn by the end of the lesson? there are 10 altogether.
    Damon: none
    ME: Well that's not a very ambitious target is it?
    Damon: well i don't speak German do i?
    ME: I know but that's my job to help you, so how many are you going to learn?
    Damon: None cos it's boring.
    ME: We haven't done any of the activities yet so you might find it interesting if you give it a try. [[regular reacher had left copy the paragraph on page 62 into your books]]

Damon's head is now on table and he is emitting animal noises very loudly, most of the rest of the class are waiting...some giggling then a girl from the back of the room asked me to write the date in German, even though we were doing some flashcard/oral work...i acquiesce as it's the first sign of a positive attitude, as i turn to write it girl throws a handful of rubber pieces which hit me like a hail of shot.... a good 20 feet away....
    "that was an extremely disrespectful and dangerous thing to do charlotte" I protested
    "I didn't do anything"
    At break I recounted the story of Damon to his tutor...."Oh he's a good as gold for me...did you write in his report?"
    "He didn't give me a report" I replied

2. ME: damon have you set yourself a target? How many of the words for shops are you going to learn by the end of the lesson? there are 10 altogether.
    Damon: none
    ME: Well that's not a very ambitious target is it?
    Damon: well i don't speak German do i?
    ME: I know but that's my job to help you, so how many are you going to learn?
    Damon: None cos it's boring.
    ME: We haven't done any of the activities yet so you might find it interesting if you give it a try. [[regular reacher had left copy the paragraph on page 62 into your books]]

Damon's head is now on table and he is emitting animal noises very loudly, most of the rest of the class are waiting...some giggling then a girl from the back of the room asked me to write the date in German, even though we were doing some flashcard/oral work...i acquiesce as it's the first sign of a positive attitude, as i turn to write it girl throws a handful of rubber pieces which hit me like a hail of shot.... a good 20 feet away....
    "that was an extremely disrespectful and dangerous thing to do charlotte" I protested
    "I didn't do anything"
    At break I recounted the story of Damon to his tutor...."Oh he's a good as gold for me...did you write in his report?"
    "He didn't give me a report" I replied

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

This sounds familiar, but without the physical abuse! My heart sinks when kids come in, ask if I am "supply",( to which I say I'm a "proper" teacher ), and then proceed to sing, shout, ignore me and generally act in a way they wouldn't with their normal teacher. I always remain calm, yet assertive but it can sometimes take a good 10 minutes to get a class like this settled. Of course, it doesn't help if there is no seating plan, register or if they give you false names. Fortunately, the school I go to has a good system of sanctions and the staff are very supportive.
    On the plus side, I come into contact with some very nice groups as well, which make the job worth doing. Supply teachers have a difficult task; plenty of full time staff recognise this and say they wouldn't like to do it. I'm just grateful to be getting regular work but there are days when my confidence takes a bit of a knock and I have to remember not to take it personally; it's them not me!

4. I meant to add that the rest of the classes (4 in all) were a delight to teach and said thank you for teaching us.....they were a true delight and I came home on a high.....and the sniff of long term job....You re so right the schoolk were very supportive and sent the "thrower" home and apologised to me on her behalf..
    tomorrow is another day!