1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else got their central heating on?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by forestje, Aug 29, 2011.

1. forestje

forestje New commenter

Cannot believe the fact that we have got the heating on-after a heated discussion!
    Normally to keep out bills down, we don't have the heating on until about October.This year it is much wetter therefore damper and the heating is on to air the house.

2. Not yet but very tempted!!

Is it really August??

3. No heating on yet, but I've been home for over an hour and haven't taken my jacket off yet and I plan to go in search of some thick socks as soon as I've posted this.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If it's cold,I have the heating on. I don't care what time of the year it is. I refuse to be cold.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We won't be starting the heating yet but I will be starting the log burner in the next hour or so.
    I bought a chimenia for the garden last month but it's way to cold and dismal to think about sitting out, even with the heat from that.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My thermometer says 18C. Wearing a thin top and t shirt. At 15C, heating comes on. I've got expensive storage heaters but think will be getting oil based heaters after looking at last years fuel bill. Gas never made it to my village.

7. Had the heating on a few times this August. It's on now as it has been cold and cloudy all day. I don't see the point of being cold in your own house just because it's not the right month - if I am cold the heating goes on.

I am so the hardy northerner! (not)

8. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Got extra top and wooly socks on! :-D

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly.We seem to have this debate every few months on TES and I'm always staggered by posters who say their husbands ban them from putting the heating on. Really?

10. Mr W has put the heating on today for an hour to stop the house (old barn which has been converted) from getting too damp. I've also put the big fat winter duvet on the bed today.

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I find this thread very hard to believe ....

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We've had the wood burner on once last week, and are changing to a thicker duvet tomorrow.

13. We do not have the heating on yet as it is too warm .. only just shut the windows.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It's lovely and toasty here with the log burner going. The woody smell is fabulous too [​IMG]

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I must be very blessed to live where I do, as I'm sitting here in a short sleeve blouse and no tights!
    We've had a very sunny day today, which helps, as we live in a fully insulated house, so if the sun's shining the house warms naturally.makes a change after last week's damp spell wneh I did get out some long sleeve tops and put my thicker duvet in.

16. I don't have central heating!

17. Windows are closed and central heating is on. Jumpers are being worn to work - summer clothes are but a distant memory!!!!!

18. We have the double patio doors open to the garden. It is so blummin hot!

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I don't do cold very well. It's a constant irritation that mrs modelmaker's internal thermometer appears to have been wired the wrong way round. She's had all the windows wide open and the patio door as well. As quickly as I close them, she finds it unpleasant and reopens them.
    And when it's hot, it's the other way round.
    Much as I've tried to point out over the years that the thermostat on the central heating has a more accurate idea of the temperature than she has, there is a deafness that overcomes her.

20. Gas fire's on and has been for three nights this week.
    I hate being cold.