1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else got a place at UEL

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Kattin, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I've finally got an unconditional offer from UEL! Anyone else out there heading for sunny Stratford in September?
    This is my very first post, but I've been following all the discussions here over the past few months. I have to say that this forum has kept my spirits up during the long, long wait!

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Not an offer yet but i have an interview there in 2 weeks time. What course are you on. Any info on what to expect for the interview process would be mucho appreciated

3. Hey, my first reply!
    I'm doing Secondary (English). I had an hour-long interview, followed by a written test (unseen poem). I also had to present a lesson plan. The interviewer said he was asking all candidates the same questions, which were very wide-ranging. My memory of the interview is somewhat clouded - it was way back in December and I felt strangely blank afterwards! But I do recall that he asked me what style of teaching I had experienced at school (although for me that meant thinking back more than 25 years!) and what would I do if a student suddenly seemed withdrawn and unresponsive at school. He also went through the skills audit, etc, and asked subject-based questions that may not be relevant to you. He was very friendly and I actually quite enjoyed it at the time.
    Sorry this is a bit vague!
    What course are you up for?

4. Cosmic_Rainbow

Secondary Science. Yeh I have to present a lesson plan too. I have no idea what topic to choose yet. Also they wanna see my notes from lesson observations but i havent written any yet, lol.

5. Choosing a lesson topic was a bit tricky for me, too, but I guess my plan must have been OK. I think they asked me to prepare one for KS3, an hour long. I tried to mix up activities and make it suitable for various ability levels. I included starter and two mains, with plenary at end, but I admitted to him that I'd probably put too much in for an hour-long lesson.
    Best of luck to you! Let me know how you get on.

6. Cosmic_Rainbow

My interview is next week. im gettin really scared now, lol