1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else get to August...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Obviously only really addressing supply teachers here - Anyone else get to August and after the initial exhilaration get just TINY bit 'meh' - I know it's slang but 'resentful' was just too strong - that everyone
    else is talking about holidays and what they're doing with family etc and you're faced with just working the hols?

What I need is a few reminders how supply is better than permanent to the extent of not having that same feeling of
    relief over the Summer holidays? C'mon supplyeees!:) help me out here...

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  2. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Established commenter

Well, for many the first week will be spent just recovering from the turmoil of the full time role, so not a lot will be done except perhaps sleep, get over the cold that always seems to strike during that first week, then the final week is likely going to be spent back in school ( this is certainly true in primary, anyway), meeting with colleagues to plan, put up displays in classroom, sort out timetabling, etc. That will leave the middle 4 weeks to actually engage in any kind of holiday, perhaps. (Plus try and do some of the household tasks that never seem to get done properly during term time).
    Remember, when they get back it will be as if they’ve never been away, with hardly any or no time for anything not school related, whereas with supply, usually, it’s leave at a reasonable time, no staff meetings, no open evenings, no assessment data, no PM meetings.....

3. Happyregardless

Thanks for that reminder Lynne - you're right - the trade off is sanity during term time

Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I know what you mean, @Happyregardless - the end of any term is an anti-climax for we Supplies, but we feel it more in the Summer. A tiny part of me misses the end of year appreciation (more so when on day-to-day) but in general I am grateful that I'm off the permanent teaching roller-coaster.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know what you mean, I had two summers where I had no income from supply teaching (2013 and 2014).

The summer of 2013 I didn't do anything to make any money - just got on with jobs around the house that needed doing.

In 2014 I got a week's work doing some STEM stuff with primary school age children - it was great fun. I had a permanent job waiting for me in September so the pressure was off a bit.

But still - it is a problem

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Supply is better then contracted because:

If you find the contract you have landed is actually in the school from Hell you are stuck there for at least a term before you can get out. That term will seem like forever and you could end up making yourself ill.

If however you are supply and find yourself in the same school you can just say "Goodbye" walk away and preserve your health.

But I agree August is not all its cracked up to be. When I did supply I usually managed to save enough money to see me through although this got harder as the rates didn't increase with time. I now have a non-teaching job and therefore no long Summer holiday. But that doesn't bother me, I can still take days leave when I choose and have now booked two weeks off in September.

7. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

I'm finding it very stressful to be honest, after eighteen years of contracts and supply the last three years I'm finding myself worrying about money, unable to go on holiday which I used to do every year for the whole six weeks and having a full blown career and midlife crisis.
    Feeling very frustrated with the number of unqualified staff in schools taking all the day to day supply. Not sure I can stay in teaching but the prospect of retraining or officially working for have my previous salary is a scary one.

8. Happyregardless

mmh yeh I was marvelling that I could earn almost as much as the general daily supply rate delivering fast food when looking through Indeed for Summer work - so that's the job market for you - considerable encouragement (!) for those who put themselves through four years of (unpaid not like your shenanigans wit schools these days) teaching training as mature students, (independent student having paid enough tax from previously working) and working evening and weekends. I mean I don't knock the fact that teachers can now train in schools and there are apprenticeships etc, I think all avenues are needed, but for those of us who made considerable sacrifices to become teachers it's a bit of a hard pill to swallow. Things move on, before I can get to absolute bitter-dom I will probably kick the bucket! :)

JohnJCazorla likes this.