1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else get frequent bad, vivid dreams? Not for the sensitive ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Sep 2, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Morning all
    Still feeling a bit shaken up by last night's dream. For some reason, I seem to be prone to bad dreams. Do they really reflect what's going on in one's life, do you think?
    Anyway, in last night's dream I had snatched someone else's young baby and was living with the wee one. I should add that I already have 3 wonderful girls and they are quite enough for me!
    In the end I handed the baby to the police who gave her back to her greatly relieved parents. The worst part of the dream was that I then had to hang around with the parents and face their very natural wrath and animosity towards me. It was just awful!
    One night last week, in the space of one dream, I had cancer (including my hair falling out), my house was burgled and worst of all, found my 2 year old face down in the bath [​IMG]
    Am I alone in having dreams like this? [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading x

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Morning all
    Still feeling a bit shaken up by last night's dream. For some reason, I seem to be prone to bad dreams. Do they really reflect what's going on in one's life, do you think?
    Anyway, in last night's dream I had snatched someone else's young baby and was living with the wee one. I should add that I already have 3 wonderful girls and they are quite enough for me!
    In the end I handed the baby to the police who gave her back to her greatly relieved parents. The worst part of the dream was that I then had to hang around with the parents and face their very natural wrath and animosity towards me. It was just awful!
    One night last week, in the space of one dream, I had cancer (including my hair falling out), my house was burgled and worst of all, found my 2 year old face down in the bath [​IMG]
    Am I alone in having dreams like this? [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading x

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Blimey! What kind of cheese have you been eating? I think it's that Stinking Bishop stuff [​IMG]

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Oh God, re-reading this I sound like a psycho with a very disturbed mind. I am a nice, good person really!!

5. I have very vivid dreams that tie in with reality, so COULD (in a very far fetched way) be real!! They leave me with a horrible feeling that very often stays with me all day. *shudders*

6. I had horrendous nightmares and vivid dreams for 3 years and was constantly tired and on edge during the day. Things would flash back into my mind and upset me when I was awake.
    Since being on ADs they have dramatically reduced.

7. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Ha, ha! Thanks for the light relief, Belle!
    The irony is that I hate cheese, all types of it.
    I did have the girls round last night for poker and lots of wine/snacks. Then I watched Eastenders on Sky *blush*. I normally hardly drink and still get bad dreams though.

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks for your replies, lovelies. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    One of my biggest fears is, for some reason, being rejected by society and being an outcast mentally. That's why I sometimes worry that I could be capable of doing terrible things!
    Bit heavy for a Friday morning, innit?

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Stinking Bishop is actually luffly!..............and stinky! [​IMG]

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

= my nightmare food!

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I live under the flight path of an airport, so I routinely dream of witnessing air crashes. I think it's because my mind subconsciously re-interprets the aircraft engine sounds, making the dreams seem very convincing and chilling.

The most vivid dream I ever had was after eating a plate of mussels in France - it was like dreaming in IMAX 3D. I've eaten plenty of mussels since but have never been able to recreate that particular experience. Maybe some drug smugglers had dumped their haul of LSD at sea right over the mussel bed ;-)

These things aside, I normally sleep soundly.

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

[​IMG]

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I find the dream dictionary very useful - my dreams are rarely as bizarre as they seem, and I find comfort in interpretation!

14. Oh, God, tartetatin, where do you want me to start?!!! I have incredibly vivid dreams, and sometimes they can be lovely... incredibly landscapes, or I'm an eagle soaring over Scotland.... but when the bad dreams start.....I actually logged on here at 4.30 a'm the other morning, as woke up sobbing after being at my sister's funeral in a dream (have spoken to her since... she's fine)

I regularly dream that a serial killer is after me.... I can see what he's done to the other people (and it's not pretty... he tortures them first) and I know that he's after me and that it's inevitable that he will find me...
    Sometimes it's monsters or evil witches (yes, honestly) ..... but same scenario...... they're out to get me.
    Often wake up terrified

15. Oh, and I'm putting on my first musical just now (in RL)
    I have frequent vivid dreams that it's a complete disaster and the boss stands on stage, points his finger and shouts "IT"S ALL YOUR FAULT"
    That one is probably more understandable [​IMG]

16. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Wow. I always thought if you understood recurrent bad dreams they would go away. It sounds like you do understand your own dreams. Perhaps you are putting society and others on some sort of pedestal that they don;t really deserve?

17. I also have very vivid dreams. Often linked to whatever is going on at the time. I always have dreams about being very late for school in the last week of the holidays. In these I am madly running around a maze of a city trying to think of reasons that I can give to the HT for my lateness when I finally find the way.
    In the winter last year, when snow and ice had been forcast, I dreamed that I drove down the drive into school and the car skidded on ice and went straight through the window and across the hall. Luckily I didn't hit anyone and the children ar breakfast club waved as I skidded past. [​IMG]
    The dreams I have when Ofsted are due are terrifying.
    Last week though I dreamed that I was pregnant ( a lot of my friends are) I woke up, panicked and clutched my stomache to make sure that there was no bump and finally breathed a sigh of relief. The feeling stayed with me all day though.
    I also have some very disturbing and often violent dreams but I wont go into details because you'll definately think that I'm a nutter[​IMG]

18. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

Bex, I've been having a very similar type of dream for a couple of weeks now. Wake up feeling vey stressed! Prior to these dreams it was classes of kids I just couldn't control - even the really nice ones were telling me to **** off! And parents waiting to see me outside the staffroom- loads of them - all wanting to tell me how **** I am!
    Normally, my dreams involve my husband running off with another woman or I'm being chased/ tortured by Nazis. Nice, normal stuff, really.[​IMG]

19. A couple of years ago, I had a few months where I was having horrendous vivid dreams every night. I went to see the GP about it eventually but his advice was basically to just wait for them to pass. He also had this very helpful nugget of information: "Bad dreams can be triggered by lots of things. Maybe you saw something scary on TV?" (I hadn't. I absolutely refuse to watch anything even slightly scary- I'm such a wimp!)
    I had one very vivid dream that my father and I had killed someone and we had hidden them in my grandparents' attic. The police were onto us and we had to move the body but we had nowhere to put it. That was an awful one.
    Actually, last night I had a dream that I was driving my friend's car even though I have never had a lesson. Looks like I have a habit of dreaming about breaking the law- maybe because I'm such a meek good girl in reality!
    I promise I'm not crazy!

20. This has happened to me a few times, and it is so vivid that I too have to check for the bump when I wake up! Having never been pregnant (yet) I obviously don't know for sure, but it feels so REAL in the dream. I often feel quite empty and at a bit of a loss when I wake up and realise the bump is gone. It's not as though I'm desperate for babies (although they will hopefully figure somewhere in my life eventually!) but after one of these dreams I feel really sad that I'm not pregnant.