1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else finding it quiet on supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sonicthehedgehog, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hi all, I've registered with two agencies for supply teaching. I've had no work at all from one of them and from the other a total of ten days in a whole term.
    I'm a fully qulaified teacher in the North East and I'm told that; 1) schools are tending to use cover supervisors for cover lessons where they would usually use a supply teacher. 2) There is less 'general cover' work on supply because assignments tend to be 'subject specific'.
    Is anyone else finding this?
    Oh well, first post on here. Any thoughts or answers welcome.
    Thank's.

2. Hi all, I've registered with two agencies for supply teaching. I've had no work at all from one of them and from the other a total of ten days in a whole term.
    I'm a fully qulaified teacher in the North East and I'm told that; 1) schools are tending to use cover supervisors for cover lessons where they would usually use a supply teacher. 2) There is less 'general cover' work on supply because assignments tend to be 'subject specific'.
    Is anyone else finding this?
    Oh well, first post on here. Any thoughts or answers welcome.
    Thank's.

3. Lancashire calling! The scene here is getting quite depressing as I sit here another day and no work. I signed up with the Reed site and placed my CV on-line. This way I have been approached by agencies. This happened just before Christmas and I signed up last week with one in Burnley, a bit of a hike but its work if I can get it. That's three agencies now, from the National one to the local ones (spread them out!). I even went to 3 schools to get my face and name in their books and it paid off in one.
    I've started accepting less pay, work in special schools, CS work (but expected to teach!!!) and finally 3 weeks as a lab. technician (It was fun actually, and it got my face in the school. This life is grim at times but its better than the submissive role as a permanent staff. Long term cover is brilliant as I fit in well, do a good job, get good results, get compliments and get treated as a human being worthy of respect. The thing is like most of you I can't do have a job not even when I'm given CS work and that's our downfall.
    Even staff in the agencies are falling by the wayside, I have noticed. Unfortunately the reputation and confidence we build up goes with them. Good luck, everone. [​IMG]

4. My error, HALF A JOB. So much for my keyboard skills as an ex-Head of ICT. I'll stick to Science and Maths, where there is potentially more work. I have noticed a prior comment on IT cover and they are all right. It is a misconception the anyone can do IT.

5. Supply teaching as been savaged by unqualified cover supervisors, what is the point of spending years of training becoming qualified then spending thousands more on Post Graduate and Masters degrees when all you need is 5 x GCSE'S to cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. gud4age

gud4age New commenter

Hi,
    I have discovered my school using a CS from an agency to replace an NQTs planned absence. The guy said he was training to be a teacher , felt like saying when your qualified how ill you get a job if schools continue to pay CS instead but bit my tongue.
    The agencies are at fault do not care who they send as long as they get money out of schools some how.
    Kids think they are real teachers

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Quite a few of them are, in the sense of being qualified and/or experienced, but with no permanent job to go to. While the colleges keep churning them out into a market with few job opportunities there'll always be a pool of cheap labour to take on CS work.

I try to avoid working for CS rates if I can, but if it's that or nothing I might as well do it. Most of the time I don't have to at present but who knows what the future may hold?

8. Hi , I stopped full time teaching 10years ago to go to do supply teaching. .<u>Big mistake to join an agency </u>Why not try writing to the local achools in your area and advertising yourself. I did and I am working four days in 2 different schools doing ppa cover.

9. I have had 4 days since last April though it does not help that I have no car. I have been to all my local schools but they are not even interested in using me on a volunteer basis. Too many schools are using unqualified staff for PPA work but Nick Gibb (a so called Education Minister) does not know the difference between unqualified staff and unqualified teachers.
    Please remember that there is a demo in Westminster on April 11th and all support will be invaluable on that date to show the politicians how they are damaging the education system in this country.

10. I sent a mail-shot to all the secondary schools and PRUs in half a dozen London boroughs. Only a handful replied, and all of those were 'thanks, but no thanks'.

11. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I have been doing supply since May and generally I've not done too badly, but then I'm in primary and will take early morning calls for any year group.
    Since the start of Dec though I have only had 2 1/2 days. It's really starting to ge depressing. I sometimes go into a school I used to work at, they won't get me as a supply teacher though, and just sit and do the job I used to do (one to one TA) with out being paid just to still be in schools and remind them I am still there!! But now petrol prices have gone up I'm reluctant to do that.
    In primary I don't think they use many CS, maybe they sometimes up their TA2s to a TA3 for the day to cover. My friend is a qualified secondary teacher, who found supply was slow, so she got a job as a CS therefore is qualified to teach so not all CS are unqualified people!

12. I'm sitting at my computer wondering if the phone will ever ring again. This time last year I had more work than I wanted. Maybe headteachers put it to their staff that in view of approaching budgetary problems they might have to consider paring back on the 'rarely cover' agreement. Either that or face redundancies in the near future. (Having taught full time for 25 yrs, until five years ago, I just expected to do cover during some free periods. I thought 'rarely cover' was very nice for teachers but economically insane!)
    Equally I noticed in the recent furore over the 'English Bacc' it was stated somewhere that schools will also be judged (negatively) on the number of times they use supply teachers.