1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone else find Year 6 really hard to 'get'

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by baileysonice, Nov 9, 2011.

1. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

Sounds like you're doing a good job to be asked back. Maybe the two girls enjoyed the afternoon because you kept certain individuals in line who would normally be disrupting the class? I wonder if quieter and more conscientious pupils get fed up with those who regularly cause problems and they therefore appreciate your firmer approach? I always think that if children like you it's a bonus, but it's more important that they respect you and behave well. Maybe try to avoid over-analysing what you hear from staff and pupils - although I know that's hard!

2. I think you are doing the right thing by going in a bit more strict. You can always dial it down and let more of your personality show once the kids know what your expectations are. It's much harder to "strict up".
    Don't take anything that the kids say to heart. They are trying to wind you up and their feelings about their teachers tend to change daily (or hourly!). While it's nice to be liked, you are there to help them learn, not be their friend.
    Year 6 is a weird year. They're the 'top dogs' at their school and oftentimes act accordingly and some students may be getting their first dose of adolescent hormones. They usually get an attitude adjustment when they enter Year 7 and they are the 'babies' again!
    Don't worry about it so much, you sound like you are doing a great job!