1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feeling like this?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Sep 7, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

It was my first day with my new class today and I'm not sure how I feel.
    My class (year 5) were ok and the lessons I did were ok. But that's all it was.

I suppose I just didn't really enjoy it, but I can't put my finger on why. I had a decent break over the holidays, was looking forward to getting back into a routine but now I just feel...(insert appropriate word here)....
    I just hope I feel better over the next week or so. I want to feel excited and actually look to lessons because at the moment I am feeling rather ambivalent towards my job, which is rather worrying.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yes. I actually keep getting into school and sitting at my desk and letting out a rather long sigh. And half heartedly getting things ready. I think it's the time of year and getting used to a new class and things. Plus I always find 'starting again' is really hard (See my moany thread!) lol.

3. meh, this year is like that for me too. I think I need a new job. There's nothing hugely wrong with my current one. I just think I need a change. Checked the TES more than once since we started back...nothing yet...

4. captain oats

I think that's my problem too, been in the same year group for too long as well. Need something new to challenge and motivate me.

5. I realised the other day that I started teaching the year some of mine were born. I nearly jumped out the window there and then, thinking how my life is vanishing and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Every teacher in my school has said the same thing this week, along the lines of "I don't want to be here any more". Nobody is bright-eyed and bushy-tailed about the new term. We are all saying, "Do I really want to spend my life doing this?". Doesn't help when the Inset is spent bashing home how lucky we are to have jobs and how we mustn't put a foot out of line this year, have to get great grades and NOT spend any money on anything, oh yes, and probably have to let some of the TAs go, because the budget can't stand it.

7. indecisive1

indecisive1 New commenter

feel exactly the same as you captain oats and longing for the weekend!

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

It's only a bloody job, after all. The happy clappy "oooh aren't the little darlings wonderful" lot need their heads looking at.
    My priorities have changed completely recently.
    I'm only going to do just enough to do my job well from now on. And only just well enough.
    And then I'm outta there.

9. captain oats

It just goes to show how utterly demoralising teaching is at the moment!

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As I've said on many threads in the last few days,we have been back 4 weeks already and boy,am I feeling it!

11. Feeling p'd off during the first couple of weeks is normal. (Just imagine how the kids feel.)
    This is the worst time, closely followed by the first couple of weeks in January.
    You only have (insert number) of start of terms to go, so cheer up.
    I myself have none as I am RETIRING at Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Me too!