1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feel like this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beethan31, Jul 23, 2012.

1. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Yes, it's normal. It takes me a few days to get into full holiday mode. I've had a cold over the weekend and have been so knackered that I'm surprised I've managed to do anything today!
    I like to do bits for school in the first week off - kind of packing away the last year and doing some prep for the new year, but then once I've got into the swing of being off I don't usually do much until the last week. I won't be going into school until week 5 though as the cleaners are in.
    Personally, I think it's nice to do a few bits at a leisurely pace rather than the frantic pace during normal term time. I like to potter!

2. I must admit, I've been a bit bored today! I worked really hard to make sure my classroom was completely organised before we broke up so I dont need to go in at all this summer - I went in loads last summer and even painted the walls in my classroom, so I wanted to be able to switch off properly this time!
    But yes....an hour with a book, some time spent browsing the internet, and I then started to get a bit restless! I rarely have friends or family off at the same time so have to occupy myself completely during the week.

3. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

Thought it was just me! Have been thoroughly bored today. Went into school for a couple of hours this morning and pottered about doing not very much and then came home and went for a 5 mile bike ride. Its not helping that my brain still thinks I need to get up and 6:00
    Know this feeling won't last though and before I know it I will be back at school in September moaning about how quickly the holidays go!

4. Dopey Dwarf

Dopey Dwarf New commenter

I am feeling the same as others too. Did quite a bit in school before finishing so that i don't have to go in until last week. Have spent days so far sorting topics to teach, class lists and groupings. Have done 2 weeks of literacy plans and some SEN stuff too. Now gonna spend the time completing 3 behavioural assignments for a Behaviour and Attendance course i am currently doing.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Ahem, no it's not normal, not if you have a life. I find that the ones who get 'bored' within 24 hours of school breaking up are the ones who have nothing to fill their lives at home. If you have a partner, or a house full of kids to look after, you have no time to get bored.
    The 'bored' ladies/men are the ones who LIVE for school, who get there at the crack of dawn and take the laminator home with them. Without 'stuff for school' to do, they are at a complete loose end.
    Normals are, as I speak, drunk as puggies with the freedom of 6 weeks without having to listen to the 'bored' ones banging on about every detail of their class over lunch every day.

6. lardylegs

7. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

So why are you looking at, and posting on this site at 22.47 during the holidays lardylegs, if you don't do anything to do with school?

8. Not strictly true as most people's partners will work normal hours, leaving lots of time alone.

9. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

I went to school yesterday too and in today aswell. I have to admit i'm a little lost if i'm not working!

10. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I am staring out of the window a lot...............

11. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I drove by school today (on the way to visiting a friend in hospital) but didn't stop by even though I knew my colleagues were in. I felt a bit guilty about it, but my room's pretty much tidy and I really need a break from the place - the last three weeks were so hectic with concerts, shows and leavers' stuff that it felt like I only came home to sleep!
    I have done a bit of tidying up of resources saved on my computer, and I'm quite looking forward to going in later in the holiday to do displays and print out tray labels etc, but for now I'm just enjoying simple stuff - being in the garden, shopping, visiting friends, playing the piano and learning to crochet! I'm definitely not bored (I'm not the type), but it still feels a bit weird not being at work after it dominating my life entirely in the last weeks of term.

12. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

I think the sheer pace is the problem, if I stop altogether I get ill, if I wind down over the first two weeks I seem to manage better. Having said that I managed to fall over a step in the garden at home yesterday, no alcohol involved, and have crocked my ankle, not broken but badly sprained and swollen so can't do anything except sit and moan! And Internet shop which is fatal for my bank account

13. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Interesting. When people who aren't teachers post on here about us being very lucky to have long holidays, they are met with a wave of rants about how much time we work in the holidays. I hope they don't read some of these comments!
    I've always thought of them as holidays for the kids not the staff.

14. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

I went into school to paint my office and the reception area at 9am this morning and to my suprise 9 of my teachers were in school clearing out their classrooms, putting up displays and organising resources.
    I dragged ALL the staff outside at 2pm and we had Pimms in the sun followed by a cheeky water fight.
    I've also promised the staff that anyone who is in tomorrow will be treated to a fish & chip lunch by myself.
    I do not force my staff to come into school during the summer holidays

15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the right sort of boss!
    I think many of us with our own room like to get it done properly now, then we can relax knowing that we are all set for September. I know I spent a nice afternoon printing, copying and organising folders.
    I then just go back for a remind myself session in the last week.
    Personally I would happily trade off two weeks compulsory time in school during the summer for the ability to book a week during term time when holidays are cheap!

16. AND SO SAY ALL OF US! x

17. Ooh, I couldn't agree more! My friends are currently planning a skiing holiday...in January :-(

18. lardylegs

Ye....es... How long have you been teaching for, Simon?

19. Im the same...my OH is only off the first week so after that its pretty much just me, no kids yet so I do get a little bored. Plus with trying to save money to move house and have a baby free cash flow is not really available. Ill prob finish the LEgend of Zelda on my Wii, finish reading last Game of Thrones book, tidy the garden and do stuff like go the dentist exciting or what!

20. Can I just say - I absolutely LOVE Game of Thones!! I'm just finishing second book, but that is an amazing way to spend some spare holiday time!!