1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feel like quitting?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by PaulDG, Mar 22, 2011.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Almost everyone feels like this at around this time in their PGCE.
    Most of us get through it.
    Just count the days...

2. That's good to know. Not in a nasty way! Just good to know!

3. As someone who has been through that and come out the other side, it is definately par for the course!
    Now sailing (well, mostly) through my NQT year, I felt like quitting in my PGCE even earlier than this last year! Keep going, the end really is in sight. As to jobs, keep applying, but try and be in a positive frame of mind when letter writing, it can make a real difference.

Good luck

4. Don't give up on things. I felt the same way during my PGCE. I am now HoD. Give it a chance, hang in there and see how it goes. Make sure you set time aside for yourself.
    Good luck xx

5. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,' I loathed my PGCE year and completely felt like quitting, so so glad I didn't. I had a great NQT year. It does get better - I promise. It feels so much different with your own classes, it is a mountain to climb. But take advice and persist and find a school that suits you. Remember why you went into teaching and remember the PGCE year is a hurdle to cross. Good Luck, [​IMG]
    Ps Make sure you have plenty of sleep and don't completely neglect your social life.

6. This is where I'm at at the moment. I really want to get there as I'm about 2 months away. Finding it really hard though- no sleep, lots of tears and generally feeling inadequate. I don't want to throw away all the work I've already done, but I feel completely miserable at the moment.

7. I too definitely feel like quitting : ( sad beyond words!! It sounds so drastic, but its true.
    Going back to school tomorrow and just cant face it. I've been in year 1 on all my other placements and now I'm in year 5- major shock!! Also I feel a huge amount of pressure and stress from the teacher. And I think I'm meant to be planning his lessons as well as my own, which I dont think is fair but dont have the guts to say anything. Please someone tell me its not like this later on?
    I dont think the teacher thinks I'm up to it either, which isn't helping and everyone else seems to be enjoying it and doing well. My last placement was lovely and I felt in place there and enjoyed everything. Here I feel like I'm constantly under watch and so not ready for full whole class teaching tomorrow- I've done one lesson which was sprung on me in the morning and I got slated for it : (
    Any advice? Anyone?

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

You can get through this! I felt the same two years ago, but struggled through (very close to failing) and am now a happy teacher in a nice school! It is not uncommon to feel as though the stress is getting to you, as you are essentially under a microscope all day every day, not to mention working late into the night on planning/resources/assessments and getting your folder sorted and cross-referenced and...yuck!
    My NQT year was lovely in comparison, despite having a tricky class. Stick with it and feel free to moan on here whenever you need to! [​IMG]

9. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

I feel exactly the same way. I 've got to the point where I'm bored myself in some of my lessons. Is this normal? I'm not failing at all, and I always get reall good observations from both uni and school tutors, but I just find it a bit depressing thinking about the job situation (or lack thereof!) and part of my can't help but think why don't I just do something else once I finish the PGCE. However, if I keep thinking this, it detracts from my motivation to create interesting lessons. Oh dear!

10. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I've had enough too. Nearly brought to tears today by 4 awful lessons with classes with awkward, arrogant and rude kids. To top it off, one of them stole my 'treat' jar. I've really had enough of being scrutinised and not quite getting there in my lessons.
    I started the course with such high hopes of acheiving 'Outstanding', now i'll be lucky to get 'Good', which is unlikely. Wouldn't feel so bad if i had a job obviously, but don't think i'll even get one at this rate.
    'I got the PGCE blues, oh yeah, mmm yeah!' :)

11. Been feeling like this too. Had my last observation from uni today and whilst my course leader gave me a 2/3 (mostly things were marked in the good column), my mentor from school seemed to think most things were satisfactory. However, have been working on things that were discussed last week and feel improvement has been made.

To top it all off, I've been suffering badly with a dodgy stomach, but have been going into school as I didn't want my mentor to think I wasn't coming in due to some negative feedback. I did my observed lesson today and then just said 'look, TBH I've been suffering with a bug, can I go home please.' Went to see the doctor and it turns out I have a virus! Very inconvenient timing really. Hope it clears up soon cos I gate being ill, and feel like I was just starting to make positive progress with my classes.

12. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

I absolutely agree with you all!!! I'm finding it so hard to find the motivation to plan anything interesting or exciting anymore, as all I seem to get are 'yeah it was good but it could be better' comments.vThis year is so tough and these last few weeks seem to be the worst!
    I'm lucky in that I do have a job to look forward to, but honestly I am now starting to think that if I'm losing motivation now how the hell am i going to get through next year?!

13. clodaghbourke

clodaghbourke New commenter

I'm coming to the end of my PGCE and looking for work for nqt year but I'm terrified and feel sick all the time and can't stop crying. I just feel nothing I do is good enough. I feel the kids deserve so much better than I can give them. I'm constantly scrutinised at work (I'm on a SCITT) and feel I'm constantly getting back handed comments and that my class teacher simply doesnt trust me. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so scared about next year doing nqt. The hours are horrendous at the moment. I work every minute and it's still not enough. I'm the last person to leave my school every day then i work at home and yet my class teacher has hinted she doesnt think I'm doing enough. I honestly can't do more. I'm breaking. I need advice please!

14. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

OK so the common thread here is you are not teaching lessons deemed as brilliant or outstanding. Well no surprise, you are learning how to teach as a trainee. I always think lesson observations are like art appreciation very subjective and wholly dependent on the observer. Satisfactory does not mean bad, satisfactory means satisfactory-OK and meeting a standard. Ofsted has hijacked the whole issue by using satisfactory to mean not good enough. Even Ofsted recognise the problem with grading individual lessons. In your NQT year progress is classed as satisfactory for the purpose of induction which recognises that you are still training.
    All lessons can be improved and the idea of an observation is to provide feedback about where there are strengths and suggested areas for improvement not just tests to be passed.
    Extra pressure is often put on by mentors at this stage to get trainees to complete before the end of term kicks in its just the last hurdles to passing.

15. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

During the PGCE the normal class teachers are still responsible for the class, and they will be responsible for the class again when you leave - I think this is the reason why some of them are so overly critical. Mentors can be a bit harsh, demanding to see perfection even when they don't exhibit it themselves, or still having too high expectations of a trainee. Some seem to think that there's only one way of doing things, so if you do it differently they don't like it.

When you are an NQT you will be in charge of your own class/es, and you won't have someone in the room with you watching you like a hawk and judging your every move. You'll be on your own. It'll be a massive learning curve from September to Christmas! Focus on following the behaviour policy, and ensuring your students make progress - this is what your school will care about the most.

The work load in September may be worse though - you'll have a fuller timetable, and you'll have to follow the school's marking policy on all books, attend parents' evenings, meetings, and so on. Work out a schedule to ensure you complete the essential tasks each week. Lesson planning will get easier. You'll get a bit quicker at marking. Share resources with your department; try to create that culture if it doesn't already exist.

clodaghbourke likes this.