1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feel like hibernating through Christmas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by airy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Tesco makes me want to kill the old grannies ever so slowly deliberating over what flavour of stilton to buy. The kids at school are driving me batty with requests for Christmas songs (but not THAT one!!) and "fun". It's cold and dark and it's been such a long term I barely have the energy to speak to anyone let alone cook Christmas dinner. Will someone just wake me up when it's all over?

2. Tesco makes me want to kill the old grannies ever so slowly deliberating over what flavour of stilton to buy. The kids at school are driving me batty with requests for Christmas songs (but not THAT one!!) and "fun". It's cold and dark and it's been such a long term I barely have the energy to speak to anyone let alone cook Christmas dinner. Will someone just wake me up when it's all over?

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

pop down the pub for xmas lunch
    done.

4. They're all booked out. Apparently you need to book around August to get a place!

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes, me!
    Ive often said if I could afford it Id take a month off work and go away somewhere quiet, and come back when its all over.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I feel like this most of the year. June to August is okay. I might have been a hedgehog in a previous life.
    On a more serious note, can you order a takeaway on the day? If it is just you and Mr Airy you could always raid the freezer and booze cupboard, and surface after a good few days of down time.

7. Sounds like a plan!

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Well the shops will be open again, properly, next Tuesday, and if you know you have enough in, then why not? After a few days of R&R in your jammies, lounging around and having long lies, watching mindless crapola on tv, walking dog, having a festive dram etc., you can get up and face the world and <u>the sales</u> (for late pressies etc). Health and wellbeing (crikey I sound like I'm reading from a CfE shiny green folder now) are much more important than getting it all 'right' for one day.

9. Kibosh, go and wash your mouth out with a large bottle of your preferred tipple!
    You may not mention those words again until January.
    Goodness! They're enough in themselves to make you want to hibernate - permanently!

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

shiny green folder
    shiny green folder
    shiny green folder
    [​IMG]

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Shiny? Green? Folder? Never seen it. Wasn't me and you can't prove it.

12. dande

dande New commenter

Most seem to be open on Monday! Even next sale starts on Boxing Day this year and they normally hold out until 27th!

13. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Why should people deliberating over which stilton to buy make you want to kill them? Don't you ever deliberate over anything?

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Presumably if the vendor is non-Christian it should be business as usual, or are there oppressive trading laws to prevent this?

15. Many of my small local shops are run by non-Christians and they are usually open on Christmas Da. If there are any restrictions on Christmas trading they're ignored round here!
    The only restrictions I'm aware of are the Easter ones (and I'm not sure if they're still in place).

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm blind.
    Me neither.
    We all know only CSI can prove it!!

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Even better for Airy then . . . . I must have been thinking of another country, perhaps in another part of the universe.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What a cheesy question.
    Nope. My answer came in under a 1 000 000 000th of a second

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Who knows. Should there be oppressive trading laws to prevent this?

Blimey, it was a light hearted thread, I believe . . . . . . can we not keep it that way?

20. I know it's mean, impatient and unfair of me. I just don't see how it can take that long to decide between Stilton with apricot and Stilton with cranberry or, indeed, why one has to buy some kind of fruit infused Stilton just because it's Christmas. And no, not in the middle of Tesco while blocking half the cheese counter with my trolley and glaring at anyone who smilingly and politely asks if I could just pass a block of that cheddar, please.