1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone else ditch A Level teaching and glad about it?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, Mar 21, 2012.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Just fed up. Love A level teaching, kids usually love my lessons. So, so tired of what seems like yearly battles over marks with exam boards and gambling large chunks of a miniscule budget on questioning thier decisons, tired of syllabuses that cram so much in that all the joy of the content is gone. Lower school is more tiring on a day to day basis and yes, I've had the same grade battles at GCSE with more than one board... but... GCSE doesn't keep me awake at night. Much as I want everyone to do well lives are not massively impacted by not getting a predicted grade at GCSE in the same way as they are at A level. As we all are I'm fed up with endless bloody target setting but ultimately I don't give a **** about CVA and the SLT view of it - I care about individual kids and when I see them potentially losing university places because in my course they have not gained their grades I am up at 5am worrying about it, normal? Don't know. Do know I don't want to go through another year of this. Seriously wondering about looking for job in 11-16 where this isn't an issue. Anyone else been there and done that would be most interested to hear.

2. san38

san38 New commenter

Just fed up. Love A level teaching, kids usually love my lessons. So, so tired of what seems like yearly battles over marks with exam boards and gambling large chunks of a miniscule budget on questioning thier decisons, tired of syllabuses that cram so much in that all the joy of the content is gone. Lower school is more tiring on a day to day basis and yes, I've had the same grade battles at GCSE with more than one board... but... GCSE doesn't keep me awake at night. Much as I want everyone to do well lives are not massively impacted by not getting a predicted grade at GCSE in the same way as they are at A level. As we all are I'm fed up with endless bloody target setting but ultimately I don't give a **** about CVA and the SLT view of it - I care about individual kids and when I see them potentially losing university places because in my course they have not gained their grades I am up at 5am worrying about it, normal? Don't know. Do know I don't want to go through another year of this. Seriously wondering about looking for job in 11-16 where this isn't an issue. Anyone else been there and done that would be most interested to hear.

3. delahay

delahay New commenter

Don't do anything drastic! You are clearly a committed, bright and hard working teacher from your contributions here. We are all such flagellants in the teaching profession. We have all had a bad set of results but your next lot won't be.

I know it is a huge amount of work switching exam boards but this might be the way forward. You mentioned you were in a comprehensive and your students liked the applied ethics part of the OCR, but could weaker ones be writing more GCSE style responses which often applied ethics can lend itself to?

Teaching A level is fantastic. I think you should stick with it.

4. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks Delahay for your kind words. I know -we do tend to beat ourselves up. Unfortunately I think current school culture joins in and beats us too. It's not about how the kids have done, it's how WE have done. Despite outstanding (hate that word) results last year, without asking me SLT have asked for my cohort of papers back so that they can 'check' where I might have gone wrong. I know this is a good idea on the face of it, but it would be nice if someone could have asked me - I wonder how a crew of SLT none of whom teach RE are going to be able to 'rate me'! Just feeling fed up - Easter looms and will hopefully help! Thanks for the support.

5. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Hi San,
    sorry to read this. DIdn't know you were feeling this bad. But don't do anything drastic. As you know from my pm's, I have serious reservations about OCR myself so it's not just you.

6. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks noseymatron - have replied to you. Have to say in general am feeling fed up - but have been much cheered by the good wishes of people who have taken the trouble to respond with encouragement. We're all so busy that it's lovely to know someone has taken time out of their day to offer support to a person they haven't even met. Much appreciated.

7. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Talking to a friend about this kind of problem recently. she's been trying out some exercises in positive thinking. One is to imagine that an inspector is in the room. This is not the usual kind of inspector who is looking for things to criticise, but a gratitude inspector. Whenever anything good happens in the day, you mentally draw it to the attention of the imaginary gratitude inspector who makes a note of it..
    At the end of the day, as you are falling asleep, talk to the gratitude inspector and let him or her remind you of all the great things that happened in the day.
    All the religions stress the importance of gratitude but in her books - The Secret. The Power and The Magic, Rhonda Byrne explores the power of the mind and especially the value of gratitude.
    Another exercise is to think ofen things to be grateful for each morning, and write them down so you can repeat 'gratitude' for them and remember them strongly all day.
    I have my own spiritual Teacher and he certainly stresses the importance of gratitude. - so I am interested in Rhonda's books but do not use them myself. However I have seent he positive effect that they are having on my friend,
    Life is definitely about more than work but our work and the attitude we have to it, can be part of our spiritual journey if we follow this kind of exercisel.
    Of course it would be great if everyone around us behaved nicely, but it is only by rising to challenges that we develop inner strength and wisdom - so you can even offer gratitude for the problems because they are giving you the opportunity to grow in wisdom and strength!!
    Try this kind of visualisation whenever things are just getting a bit too much.