1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else cook when they're stressed?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rosaespanola, Nov 30, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I've always loved cooking and baking, but over the years it's become more and more the case that I bake when I'm stressed - the more complicated and elaborate the recipe, the better! It's obviously because I have to put all of my attention into what I'm doing instead of fretting about whatever's bothering me, and the familiar actions of cooking are very soothing. Unfortunately I seem to be (temporarily, hopefully) more stressed than usual lately, so it's getting very expensive and all of my friends and colleagues are getting fat [​IMG]
    I'm slightly worried that it's becoming an obsession - it's not unheard of for my boyfriend to get up in the morning and find a couple of cakes and a tin of biscuits sitting on the kitchen counter because I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep. It's nice that I have an outlet for my stress, but there seems to be a constant excess of baked products that I'm trying to give away! Maybe I should come to some arrangement with the catering team at school [​IMG]

2. rosaespanola

I've always loved cooking and baking, but over the years it's become more and more the case that I bake when I'm stressed - the more complicated and elaborate the recipe, the better! It's obviously because I have to put all of my attention into what I'm doing instead of fretting about whatever's bothering me, and the familiar actions of cooking are very soothing. Unfortunately I seem to be (temporarily, hopefully) more stressed than usual lately, so it's getting very expensive and all of my friends and colleagues are getting fat [​IMG]
    I'm slightly worried that it's becoming an obsession - it's not unheard of for my boyfriend to get up in the morning and find a couple of cakes and a tin of biscuits sitting on the kitchen counter because I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep. It's nice that I have an outlet for my stress, but there seems to be a constant excess of baked products that I'm trying to give away! Maybe I should come to some arrangement with the catering team at school [​IMG]

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Cooking is definitely stress-relief.
    I live alone and don't work....so what I cook I tend to eat!
    Breadmaking is really good for combatting stress.

4. rosaespanola

That'll be all the kneading and thumping you have to do to it!

5. I'm the opposite - I'm at my best and most productive when happy and unstressed.

6. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I definitely bake to de-stress - colleagues benefit, as does mum-in-law's nursing home, sis-in-law and the freezer is currently full of baking ready for the festivities.

7. I cook when I'm bored. As I know I will eat if I'm bored. So at least I'm getting some exercise!

8. rosaespanola

You've just made my day, no-one told me I was allowed to count cooking as exercise. But if someone else said it, it must be true!

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Lol! I'll have to have a word with Weight watchers. I can't find the activity points for cooking.
    I'm not so into cooking when I'm stressed. I like to be calm to cook with Ella Fitzgerald in the background to singalong to. I do find planning menus very calming though. I've just booked in a Waitrose shop for the week before Christmas so I had to check through all my favourite Christmas recipes to make sure I've got everything. Fun!